PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for laptop repair

supergran
05-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I want recommendations for someone who can install laptop memory while I wait! Before the 21 January. Preferable north side of Christchurch as we live in North Canterbury

I am using an old NEC E2000 and doing a check online it says only one mem stick operable. It is staying at 256 when it boots now, not the 512 and I thought if I got another 256 fitted, maybe it will go back to being a bit more usable. It is driving me crazy, and I can't afford to replace yet, as bought a desktop that is just over a year old, and nothing but headaches.

It used to boot at 512 and the memory in the back of the laptop, the one that got added when purchased is kingston or something similar ram. I can't check as I am using laptop. Not sure what the other stick is, as I don't know how to access it.

Copy & paste from the test I done on the net at laptopmemoryupgrade.com
System Identification:
Manufacturer: NEC
Model: VERSA E2000
Processors: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz , EM1-MF
Operation system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
Motherboard Details:
Manufacturer: NEC
Motherboard Model: EM1-MF
Bios: NEC - 1
Memory Details:
Total No. of Slots: 1 (Currently Two slot in use)
Installed RAM: 246 MB
Maximum RAM: 0.5 MB
Front Side Bus: 100 MHZ
Details of memory already installed on your computer:
Memory Size Memory Type Memory Speed Dimm Type Dimm Type Detail
256 MB DIMM 333 MHZ Unknown 384
U40 0.5 MB DIMM null MHZ 11 4096

pctek
05-01-2010, 03:28 PM
DIY?? ITs easy, just unscrew the compartment underneath with the little RAM symbol.

Nomad
05-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Depends where it is, I remedied a Sony once and it was underneath the keyboard.

All you do is slot it in, undo one screw at a cover - usually. Reboot.

supergran
05-01-2010, 05:19 PM
That is where one thing of ram is, the other isn't there, and I was told it was under keyboard, adn I haven't pulled that to bits. Guess I might have to. Thanks

seltsam
05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
If it's like the NEC M400 I replaced the RAM on a fair while back, it's not that easy - it's under the keyboard. I dug around and found the procedure on the net - start by prising off the speaker grille....

Linwin
05-01-2010, 10:34 PM
supergran ...
Check the speed of the ram you are replacing. So that you can work with both memory than moving one out. ( If you have an expansion slot )

Nomad
05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I have seen one in the past where one module is not removable. You can only access one of the other.

Be careful some keyboards are easier to break than others - like pulling keys off and not being able to put back again or that you snap something so the keyboard does not fit that well when put back together. You may also need to nudge the clips with a screwdriver gently to dislodge it first before it comes out.

NEC Notebook Versa E2000
Maximum Memory 1.2GB
Memory Slots 1 (1 bank of 1)
non-removable base memory 256MB

hueybot3000
06-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Send me a PM sometime if you like, I can strip a laptop down and put it back together so should be fine changing a stick of RAM!

FoxyMX
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
That is where one thing of ram is, the other isn't there, and I was told it was under keyboard, adn I haven't pulled that to bits. Guess I might have to. Thanks

If you are saying that someone told you that one memory stick is in a different location to the other then that sounds like a load of codswallop to me. I have only ever known memory sticks to be located right next to each other.

supergran
06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Linwin, do you mean this, 256 MB DIMM 333 MHZ Unknown 384 as in 333mhz

Nomad, the more I read the more I think I should leave it. The one accessable through the back has 256 stick, maybe I should just try and up that one to 512 and ignore the one I can't get to

Foxy, the éxpansion'ram is through underneath of the laptop, and there is only one stick of 256. I was told the other stick is under the keyboard which is also 256 which was in the laptop when purchased.

Thanks Huey, but I am getting to the stage that it might just be a lot better to put the money into a new laptop!

I don't use this much,(well I didn't) as I got a new desktop built, but that has been very unreliable since August, and keeps going back for repair, and when I get it back this time, that is IT, the last time it goes back to the computer builder as even though it is under warranty, I want a reliable computer. I am travelling to the North Island at the end of the month, and just wanted the laptop to be a bit faster than when it is running 256 ram.

Nomad
06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I am not sure if both RAM are removable the search I came up with says one is non-removable. You are not confusing one RAM to the Mini PCI card? That might be the modem or ethernet (or combined).

I have seen where the non -removable RAM is actually manufactured into the motherboard. There is not even a card that exist. It is designed into it.

Yeah I was gonna say about a new laptop for $800 or even $700 new if you don't do much work, the usual, net and email and stuff ... RAM might cost $100 in NZ I guess or more, some older RAMs have a price premium. Used laptops can be had too with more RAM...

Your current laptop might only be worth $300 or less.

PinoyKiw
06-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I want recommendations for someone who can install laptop memory while I wait! Before the 21 January. Preferable north side of Christchurch as we live in North Canterbury

I have put work through ComputerBrokers, they were at the corner of Gasson and Washington Way but have recently moved to a new building back of Jade Staduim.

The Computer Broker - Homepage
76 Thackeray St, PO Box 40 043, Christchurch, NZ Ph: (03) 377 5195 | Fax: (03) 377 5105.

They installed some ram for me in a laptop recently, would have done it myself but was on the way to the airport, took maybe 10 minutes and they didn't charge any additional fee for installing it.

supergran
06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I dont know enough about it Nomad to say. I do know it had 256 when it was purchased, and before we left the shop, asked and they did, put another 256 in, by lifting the bottom thingy. It might all be there, I don't know, but I do know the laptop says it only has 256 and there is ONE stick accessable. The laptop as it is, wouldn't even be worth the $300 I would think.

Thanks PinoyKiw

Nomad
06-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah I am thinking 256MB builtin and 256MB that you added, no idea why its not working anymore .... hence one module removable.

The other unit you may be confused with could be the modem and ethernet. They look similar.

george12
07-01-2010, 12:55 AM
If you are saying that someone told you that one memory stick is in a different location to the other then that sounds like a load of codswallop to me. I have only ever known memory sticks to be located right next to each other.

Foxy, I have encountered many laptops where one memory module is in the standard place, under a panel on the bottom, and the other is under the keyboard. They're just in the same place but on opposite sides of the motherboard.

I do think it's poor design though...

angry
07-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Foxy, I have encountered many laptops where one memory module is in the standard place, under a panel on the bottom, and the other is under the keyboard. They're just in the same place but on opposite sides of the motherboard.

I do think it's poor design though...

many sonys have 1 under keyboard and 1 under cover on base for starters.

Many early asus had 1 intergal in mother board @ 128 or 256, and 1 only addable up to 512MB.

george12
08-01-2010, 11:19 PM
many sonys have 1 under keyboard and 1 under cover on base for starters.

Many early asus had 1 intergal in mother board @ 128 or 256, and 1 only addable up to 512MB.

Yes, if I remember right the Toshiba Portege M300 has 256MB of RAM built into the motherboard and one slot. I was very surprised to take all the RAM out and see it boot up anyway with 256MB showing!

Nomad
09-01-2010, 11:42 PM
One of the Sony had no slots on the bottom. Take it apart and they have 1x RAM slot and 1x Mini PCI card that was a wireless Wifi card next to it. Almost under the spacebar.

This was a P4 Centrino 1.60Ghz or something I think ....