PDA

View Full Version : dirty DVD recorder

Mike
05-01-2010, 08:10 AM
I have a Sony HDD DVD Recorder, and I've been busy recording all my old home movies off VHS onto the HDD and then burning them to DVD. Then it decided that a disk I was burning to was dirty (it wasn't)... same with the next three disks I tried in it. All of them it burned a little (a couple of minutes, so maybe 20%?) and then spat the disk out saying it was dirty.

Any ideas what might be up, and how to fix it? I tried a CD lens cleaner in it, but that's made no difference (it still does it)... should I try it some more and see if it helps? I imagine it won't, its possibly cleaning the wrong lens (are there more than one? one for reading CDs, one for burning DVDs etc.?)

Its annoying me anyway. The machine won't have burned more than maybe 10-15 DVDs in the time I've had it (3 years I guess), we usually just use the HDD.

Cheers,
Mike.

autechre
05-01-2010, 08:56 AM
What type of discs are they? If they're cheap ones, they may be dodgy or incompatible with the recorder.
Get 1 or 2 of a different brand & see if that makes any difference.

Paul.Cov
05-01-2010, 10:10 AM
My own experience with DVDs and reliability issues is really a tale of woe and caution. Given the little use your burner has had, I'm inclined to agree with Mike that it is probably the discs that are poor, not the burner. I also have no confidence in the lens cleaning discs. If you'd seen how delicately the lens is mounted you'd hessitate to have any brush wacking it at 4000 RPM.

Problem in getting quality blank media is that you cannot necessarily trust a known brand name to be a quality disc. Very, very many of the discs in the stores are sourced from the cheapest, nastiest manufacturers, and then re-branded under the distributors label.

There's a media code actually burnt onto the discs, which is your only means to determine which company made the discs. If it's a Princo or CMC Magnetics disc, then you've got the bottom of the barrell.

I recommend discs from Taiyo Yuden (that might be misspelt) or Ritek.

Equally important, is to burn at a low speed.

Best media I ever had was the Ritek G04 - never a dud, and all playing well many years down the track.
Problem is they dropped the G04 for the 'faster' G05, which was terrible. It degraded over just a few months from the date it was burnt.
They rapidly replaced the G05 with the RitekF01, which has been ok... but I'd personally still prefer the G04 discs.

These days I use the TY02 discs. Have a very very few that don't burn, but the reliability has been pretty good.

I get mine from picosys.co.nz - they sell in any quantity, from 1 to 1000, however, they only import stock once they're largely out of stock with their entire range, so you might find it is months from when the brand you want goes out of stock until they get new stock again.

Paul.Cov
05-01-2010, 10:11 AM
dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ if you want to determine who made your media.

Mike
05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
What type of discs are they? If they're cheap ones, they may be dodgy or incompatible with the recorder.
Get 1 or 2 of a different brand & see if that makes any difference.I've got some RW disks here that are all I've ever used before, so I might try one of those. The DVD-R are ones I've used many many times (50+ with no problems) in 3 or 4 different burners in the computer, but I've only just tried to use in the dvd recorder. I've done 3 successfully, and now 3 that have failed (in a row) and I'm not keen on trying more until I know why :)

I'll try the RW and see if that works.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
05-01-2010, 04:26 PM
dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ if you want to determine who made your media.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

if that means anything to you :)

Mike.

Mike
05-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Alright :) So the DVD-RW worked fine, so it must be the actual DVD and not the player... whew! :)

Now to find some printable DVD that does work properly :)

On a side-note, the DVD-RW is a CMC-Magnetics or something disk.

Cheers,
Mike.

Paul.Cov
05-01-2010, 08:05 PM
MCC is one of the less reliable brands.

Check the following page from VideoHelp DVD Media section.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediasearch=&dvdmediadvdridsearch=MCC&type=3&size=4.7&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Mediacode&hits=50&search=Search+or+List+Media

The entries in red highlight cases where users had issues.
Good brands very rarely get red entries. Bad brands get lots of red. You'll see plenty of red rating the MCC product.