PDA

View Full Version : Your success with wireless.

Nomad
04-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Frustrated, had the router for 3yrs, and just put up with it, using the network cable.

I thought Linksys was a good brand so I got that by paying more, I also got a ADSL wireless router with a hardware firewall builtin. At the time I also got a Linksys PCI card. I thought I was set up for a ideal setup after having issues prior with a softmodem or a winmodem.

Just wanna have a show of hands.

pcuser42
04-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Our Linksys router has been working fine. All three wireless devices (tablet, netbook, Wii) are using their integrated chips.

prefect
04-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I bought second hand d-link dsl-g604 a few years ago plugged it in just kept hitting enter and it worked.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
It worked fine when I used it. But dont now

maccrazy
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Airport Extreme, never had any problems.

pctek
04-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Your poll doesn't have the right choice.

Mine works fine. Not that I bother using it now.

However, I have had customers wirless either disappear or refuse to work initially for no reason I could see and then for no reason again, resolve itself.

Hate wireless.

lakewoodlady
04-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Netgear router on PC, Airport on Macbook No problems.

LL

Twelvevolts
04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Never thought much of Linksys routers myself - my D Link DIR -655 Xtreme though is wonderful and never had any problems.

Nomad
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah mine is like that, works and then resolves itself. Hence I have been and today just hooked the network cable up again.

I thought Linksys was a good brand so I paid more for that hene the PCI card was Linksys too.

I read to stay away from D-link, Netgear stuff and others. Thought on the similar line to Dyanlink dialup modems and the like of win-modems.

A computer geek in Canada has a few computers around incl a PS3 with a $500 steering wheel :D They just have a long network cable via the house :p

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Most of the Linksys ADSL / Wireless modems are crap, with the exception of the best Wireless AP ever made, the WRT54GL, which doesn't do ADSL.

No need to purchase same-brand wireless cards, waste of time, I generally just go for the cheapest. N-Wireless is the exception, but there's no *real* need for N-WiFi for most.

Gotta remember that Wireless has come a long way since A / B-wireless was first popular, and USB adapters cost ~$150ea... Encryption is no longer WEP or WPA, but WPA2, with both TKIP and AES, amongst other things!

CYaBro
04-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Been using a Belkin ADSL wireless router at home pretty much since they first became available.
Only ever had one problem and it was a faulty unit which was replaced by Belkin.
Just recently replaced it with a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless N unit and it is working great too.
Only have wireless because we have two laptops so it's nice to be able to use these anywhere in the house or outside.
We have a Linksys ADSL wireless VOIP router at work but don't often use the wireless but when we do it works every time.
The times when I have had problems with wireless it has been a PC using some form of wireless adapter, PCI or USB, and as pctek said, they just stop working for some reason and later on start working again???
Never had a problem with wireless in a laptop.

Cicero
04-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I have a Belkin too.

Great can use PC and two laptops at the same time,what more can one ask for?

I love Wireless.

Nomad
04-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I wished I had network jackspoints at the walls.

Maybe I got confused, with that good Linksys AP and thought I could get any Linksys and get a good result.

Well the Linksys packaging are certainly better class than some others....

If I have a ADSL AP router, can I attach a AP onto it and disable its own AP and just use the ADSL function?

If some products are so bad, how can uneducated Jane and Joe buy them when they go into DSE or Noel Leeming? :dogeye:

Nomad
04-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Looking at the poll now, 19x just perfect, and 1x not considered wireless, that means it should be a piece of cake right? Like buying a keyboard?

Nomad
04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
as pctek said, they just stop working for some reason and later on start working again???

Except mine does this couple times every day.

CYaBro
04-01-2010, 11:00 PM
It is a piece of cake....that's why there are so many "default" open wireless networks around :D

CYaBro
04-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Except mine does this couple times every day.

Really? Must have some interferance or something.
Have you tried on different wireless channels?

I also have a LevelOne wireless AP set in universal repeater mode that connects to the Belkin and extends the wireless network to parts of the house that the Belkin doesn't quite reach.
And I also have a PC connected to it.
Sometimes have issues with this but only maybe once every few months and the LevelOne needs a reboot. This doesn't surprise me though as getting two wireless APs talking to each other can be a nightmare.

Nomad
04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Will look into channels thing.

It is still connected but it just does nothing. Refresh, reconnect, nothing, ziltch, quality signal is maybe 2 bars, speed maybe 24, blue sky day no wind, router directly downstairs. Give it a moment by walking away no need to shut the router off and it just works after for a moment then repeats. It springs back to life at 48 or 54 speed. Sometimes when it is 48 speed, it might be 3 bar of reception, it is just slow to load. Maybe 3 or 5 min to load up Press F1.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
It can take forever to get on PressF1 with broadband (even if youre not using wireless), sometimes. Youre not the only one with that prob. Thats why people double post sometimes, because of the slowness.

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Good chance of overheating.
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/pc-router-failing-it-might-be-overheating/

Or it could just be a bad modem on it's last legs?
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Either way you look at it, yes it's $140-odd you may have to spend on buying a new one, but how much of a price do you put on your sanity? ;)

Nomad
04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Now I am on wired connection, it is much better. It is a wireless thing. Modem is fine.

laworder
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
You aren't running Vista by any chance?

I have an old D-Link DSL 604T at home that I have had for years, never had any problems with it until I bought a netbook recently which had Vista Home Basic on it.... and the problems started.

I think I now have it resolved after loading two service packs, new drivers for the Wifi card in the netbook, editing the registry in several places to resolve DHCP faults, turning off Link Layer Topology features and IPV6 plus several other fixes including some in the command line...

Apparently the entire TCP/IP stack and protocols etc were rewritten for Vista, and maybe whoever did it did so the day prior to release after a monster night on the turps.... and never tested it. It certainly looks that way to me.

Laptops and desktops running XP and even Win 2000 have all run flawlessly at home, this machine of mine with Vista is the only one that has had problems, it also wouldn't connect to a lot of public Wifi points or the ones at my work. Google wireless problems in Vista and you will get hundreds of thousands of hits. MS still haven't fixed it properly either, many users have either reverted to XP or gone to Windows 7 (the wireless implementation in this is far better). Pity is that in every other way this is a really nice netbook. I suspect I got it so cheap for the spec cos it had Vista on it

Nomad
04-01-2010, 11:53 PM
WinXP Pro.

Well I can make the wifi cards in ad-hoc mode and share internet.
Or dangle a network cable via the 2 windows.

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2010, 07:26 AM
My money still says try an alternative router, even a loan one for a few days...

gary67
05-01-2010, 07:30 AM
crawled under the house and wired it up dead easy to do and have never had a problem, didn't even consider wireless

Cicero
05-01-2010, 08:02 AM
crawled under the house and wired it up dead easy to do and have never had a problem, didn't even consider wireless

Nothing wrong with doing it the hard way!

plod
05-01-2010, 09:18 AM
On my second wireless router, first one was a belkin that I never had any problems with. Moved to a airport extreme N about 2 and a half years ago. Thats currently running 3 computers, ipod touch, apple tv wirelessly. and a desktop PS3 and Wii wired. That only gets rebooted if there is a firmware update or if I go away for the weekend.