PDA

View Full Version : Win7 OEM v full retail version

KMoA
04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, this is a basic you-really-should-know-this but....whats the difference between a full retail version of win7 ultimate or professional and the OEM version of same apart from the large difference in the price and which is the better buy relatively speaking?
TIA

KarameaDave
04-01-2010, 05:58 PM
here you go take your pick.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=windows+7+oem+vs+retail&meta=&aq=2&oq=windows+7+o

KMoA
04-01-2010, 06:09 PM
cool--thks

pctek
04-01-2010, 07:31 PM
whats the difference between retail version of win7 and the OEM

Cost.
A pretty box.
Microsofts crazy rules.

Twelvevolts
04-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok, this is a basic you-really-should-know-this but....whats the difference between a full retail version of win7 ultimate or professional and the OEM version of same apart from the large difference in the price and which is the better buy relatively speaking?
TIA

I got the academic version of Ultimate for $180 - that seems to be the best deal out there and it is the same as full retail.

trinsic
04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Cost.
A pretty box.
Microsofts crazy rules.
There is no difference in the software just the above stuff.

Also the fact that OEM software should generally be sold with the hardware its used on (but this doesn't end up being the case with online PC retailers).

nmercer
05-01-2010, 07:58 AM
one major difference is that Microsoft does not "support" OEM software, the OEM who sole you the OEM software does

so if you run into a problem with your Windows 7 installation and you have the OEM version, you won't be calling Microsoft Support and getting free help and assistance

wainuitech
05-01-2010, 11:07 AM
one major difference is that Microsoft does not "support" OEM software, the OEM who sole you the OEM software does

so if you run into a problem with your Windows 7 installation and you have the OEM version, you won't be calling Microsoft Support and getting free help and assistance Only problem with that - is many people who call Dell, HP etc, get the run around - they say "its Microsoft's problem/ Software, contact them" - and the poor customer gets shunted from pillar to post.

Usually the OEM's suggestion, once again Big names like Dell, HP is to run the recovery DVD's and put the system back to factory default. Smaller places like many people here that run a business will help the person, its the "big name" places that dont care.

Agent_24
05-01-2010, 10:40 PM
My XP is OEM, even if I had retail support from Microsoft, I would never use it, I never have.

The only thing that is useful is the knowledgebase (sometimes)

Anything else can usually be solved by Google, Wikipedia or PressF1 forum itself

If you can get the OEM you might as well, save money, other than that there is pretty much no difference (nothing you need to care about really anyway)