PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new router?

Nomad
04-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Firstly, I understand there is ADSL2+, how is that like? How I know I can get those extra features and I take it that it cost more for internet bills? Could be a good excuse.

Issue, is that I have a Linksys router for just over 3yrs, over the time, not happy with it and I just used the network cable to the ADSL router instead. Over Christmas I played around with wifi.

Basically, sometimes it works well, other times, it can be slow in loading webpages, may take 3min or 5min such as Xnet homepage, or Press F1. It may also just stop loading the page when the status bar becomes 90% complete, if you press stop, the page is still blank.

I haven't used wireless elsewhere. All I can say is that if you draw the curtains at night, the speed may drop from 54 or 48 to 35 or 24. I am upstairs and the router is directly downstairs. Quality of connection usually 5 or 4 bars that can get to 3 or 2 bars when curtains drawn. But when it gets a bad moment in daytime, open curtains, blue sky, it still may get only 2 or 3 bars, 24 speed or 12 speed.

Occasionally it would also reconnect, that the icon says disconnected, reacquiring IP address.

Since I have disabled the linksys software and using the windows utility, I am on WinXP Pro. See how this goes ... despite in the past I tried and I gave up wireless.

What should my expectation be?
Latest drivers installed, ditto for firmware.
We have 1x router (Linksys), 2 computers, 1x Linksys PCI card and 1x ASUS PCMCIA, pretty much the same symptoms for both computers. When I have travelled with the laptop, everytime it connects, no problems at the hostel's WIFI or the public library's WIFI.

Sure, if you look at the ASUS utility, it has no problem, surverying the area, no problem connecting to the SSID with a paraphrase. But when you try to access the net or email, it just does not work, reception indicator may drop off, firefox may give up, retry or refresh does not help. When I am desperate power off the router and the PC can help, and retype the paraphrase and reconnect to it......

Cheers

Nomad
04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
As of now, just looking at the wireless properties, it can go from 54 to 35, reception bars from 5 to 3 and sometimes it can fluctuate just by sitting here and looking at it.

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 01:42 PM
This may be of use to you: http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

graeme_mtb
30-01-2010, 01:53 PM
My Netgear DG834G is a few years old now and is falling off the internet in an erratic manner, sometimes very frequently. Time for a NB6Plus4Wn?

Chilling_Silence
02-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi graeme_mtb,

Welcome to PressF1! :)

Yeah, it quite possibly is. Especially at this time of the year, many routers start getting a LOT warmer, and fail as a result of it.

They're cheap as chips right now at pbtech.co.nz so why not :)