PDA

View Full Version : Lookup phone numbers (as a batch)

Malalex
04-01-2010, 09:49 AM
:help:
I am working with a database with full names. I am crossing information from differents resources. One of the fields is the phone number. As I have the name it is easy to look up in the whitepages.co.nz BUT I don't want to do it one by one.
Any of you know a way to export the white pages content? ( I don't need the whole white pages!, only some streets)
or any idea of how to personalize the search in the white pages. ( lookup for phone number in a particular street or neighbourhood)

Any idea will be helpful..

Thanks!..

bevy121
04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
? - you just put the name to search for in the "who" field and put the street name AND city in the "where" field (to filter by street name)

Or name AND suburb for finding in the neighborhood

John Key in Aukland for example

http://yellow.co.nz/whitepages/search/Auckland+Region/john+key-1.html

OR to find any Key in Kumeu (where he lives)

http://yellow.co.nz/whitepages/search/Kumeu+Auckland/key-1.html

somebody
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
What country are you trying to do this in? You may find yourself in breach of various laws for automating what you're trying to do.

Malalex
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi Bevy, I know how to lookup one by one. ( that is typing the name and address on the white pages)
I have a list of names with addresses. I would like to have a list of phone numbers by street so I can match the names automatically ( by code using Excel or SQL).
Can you imagine the workload of typing 5000 surnames?..:rolleyes:

Thanks anyway for the reply!..

Malalex
04-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Wow.. Mr Somebody, I didn't know that lookup for a phone it is against the law. The only difference between type it on the website and do it on a batch it is the time consuming.
But, that is my point of view. I will check on legal websites ( here in NZ). Otherwise.. I will do it in the old fashion way.
Thanks for the warning.

somebody
04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Wow.. Mr Somebody, I didn't know that lookup for a phone it is against the law. The only difference between type it on the website and do it on a batch it is the time consuming.
But, that is my point of view. I will check on legal websites ( here in NZ). Otherwise.. I will do it in the old fashion way.
Thanks for the warning.

Because you're doing it in bulk, you should consult the Privacy Act in regards to "data matching" since you are "crossing information from different resources". It also makes a difference whether you're doing it for commercial purposes (e.g. building up a target list for marketing). I'm not a lawyer so can't advise you on whether what you're doing is legal or not, but you do need to check to make sure you're not breaking any laws.

See this article (although this is a civil claim): http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/3159706/Yellow-Group-makes-piracy-claim

bevy121
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Terms of Use for Yellow™ online and White Pages® online

* You are allowed to manually access the Directory, to make a copy of the results of any searches made in the Directory, and to use those results, provided that none of such access, copying and use is for the purpose and in the course of any business, or for the creation of your own commercial database.
* All material you download or print must retain any trade marks and copyright notices as they appear in the Directory.
* Apart from using the Directory under this licence or any fair dealing under the Copyright Act 1994, no material from the Directory may be searched, printed, downloaded, copied, republished or distributed in any way without the prior written permission of Yellow Pages Group™ Limited.
* You will not submit queries to the Directory for the purpose of obtaining information about the Directory, its ontology, its structure, or its contents.

Malalex
04-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for the response. Yellow pages allow me to have my own book address (even with phones from the white pages ) So I will use that option for now. I will type name by name.

Thanks again

pctek
04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes the Privacy Act is bollocks about this sort of thing.
Damn handy if you ask me.........

Sweep
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd like to be able to use the caller ID number in a reverse search to identify the telemarketers then graffiti their wall and phone them back at 4:00 am or so to say I have done so.

So anyway the OP has a database and if he/she needs the phone number for a surname there appears to be no way of importing on a batch basis.

somebody
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
I'd like to be able to use the caller ID number in a reverse search to identify the telemarketers then graffiti their wall and phone them back at 4:00 am or so to say I have done so.

Unfortunately most telemarketers will mask or hide their numbers...

Sweep
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately most telemarketers will mask or hide their numbers...

Agreed but I'd still like to do so.

The only option I have at the moment is to hang up which is what I do.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2010, 02:38 PM
The aussie telemarketers didnt mask their phone # when they rang here 3-4 times, and everywhere around the countryside. The callerID picked up their #. I knew it was from oz, because it appears in google. And people were receiving the same annoying phonecall (ring, you answer, it hung it)

gary67
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
In the UK you can dial 1471 and it tells you the number of the last person who called, unless they dial 147 before they call you in which case it blocks their number. I wish it was available here it's very useful for when people don't leave a message on your answer phone, if it's a mate you can call them back and give them grief.

angry
04-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Write yourself a robot and dont say/tell, just like most other marketers do.

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2010, 06:24 AM
You can actually contact Yellow and they'll make you a spreadsheet of certain requested details, for a fee.

ranjankumar
20-01-2010, 04:44 AM
You may want to look at the script http://groups.google.com/group/biterscripting/browse_thread/thread/c2d3e7d953b7dc10 . The script is toward the end of the discussion. Have you checked with the web sites that provide the data ?