PDA

View Full Version : Installing W95/98 programs in W2K

04-08-2001, 02:23 PM
I have a Disney Interactive typing program that I want to install under W2000 for my children to use. Problem is, as soon as auto-start opens the install procedure I get a message saying 'This program requires windows 95'. Disney Interactive were very polite and emailed a personal reply but didn't offer any help.

I assume that the setup initialisation doesn't recognise W2000 as a viable OS but I currently run a variety of DOS only, Win 3.11, W95 and W98 programs for my business without difficulty so there is every reason to believe that this program will also run if I can get past the setup block.
Are all setup.exe routines the same or are they tailored to the individual program?

I recall that DOS programs that looked for early versions of DOS could be fooled into thinking that DOS 5 or 6 was the version they wanted and I wondered if the setup routine on the CD could be similarly fooled with a manual start instruction plus added switch, or even if the CD could be copied to hard disk and the setup file hacked to let the install proceed.

If the problem isn't in that file (I've already looked inside to see if there is a plain text reference to W95) is there somewhere else I could look at/hack to get it to run?

I don't want to get into dual-boot configurations so any advice/help would be appreciated.

John

04-08-2001, 03:08 PM
The problem may be windows 2000 as there are a lot of programs that won't work with windows 2000 because of the way that they were made.

There is a list of known programmes on the microsoft site, but I can't give you a link as the microsoft site apparently needs internet explorer to work correctly. Which I'm sure is entirely accidental, not.

04-08-2001, 03:49 PM
Hi John,

if you have service pack 2 for windows 2000 installed you can run the following command to enable a 'compatibilty' tab on shortcuts:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

You could then create a shortcut to the setup program for the application. Then go into the properties for the shortcut and enable windows 95 compatibility. This may allow you to install the program. Once it is installed you may need to modify the shortcut that launches the prog too.
If all this fails then the application wont run under W2K, unless disney release an update for it. You could look into a product called VMware, it basically emulates a whole computer. You could then install Win98 under VMware. It does however require a fast computer to run at a decent speed.

04-08-2001, 03:59 PM
Thanks BM,

I have already been to the Microsoft comapability site and although there are many programs they have patched, mine is not one of them.

I doubt that a MS patch is the answer anyway as the install is rejected long before ant data gets to flow.

Thanks anyway

John

04-08-2001, 04:02 PM
This sounds promising. I haven't installed SP2 yet but as soon as I do I'll try your advice.

John