PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Upgrade Woes

johcar
04-01-2010, 12:36 AM
My mother bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 with Vista Business installed on it from PB Tech a few weeks ago and was given a freebie upgrade to Win 7 Pro. Just got the disk from Oz this week and I followed the instructions to get the upgrade done - which seemed to work OK.

However I am now getting system lockups and the Event Viewer is displaying (in the System section):

"The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start"

A perusal of Google returns nothing along these lines for Win 7...

I also got the hoary old "Event ID 10 - WMI" issue earlier, but seem to have got rid of this issue following the instructions (for Vista!) to rebuild the Repository. (http://technet.mcrosoft.com/en-us/library/cc727148%28ws.10%29.apsx - run cmd.exe, net stop winmgmt /y, DEL /s /q C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository\*.*)

I don't seem to be able to run Sytem Restore in Safe Mode - not sure what's up with that. The instructions say to open System then click the System Protection link in the left pane - unfortunately there is no System Protection link in the left pane... :(

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 07:01 AM
I had similar issues on my wifes L300 (Unfortunately that's the most generic model number ever), had to re-install (removing the drivers didn't work) and hide the updated SDHC Card Reader driver from Windows Update. Worked fine then.

I'd try uninstalling the driver first and see if that works for you. It's worth a shot, right?

johcar
04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
So you re-installed by re-running the Toshiba Upgrade Assistant?

How do you hide the SDHC Card Reader from WU?

I also note there is an exclamation mark on the Device Manager against a couple of items: Jumpstart Wireless Filter Driver and Security Processor Loader Driver - not sure whether they are relevant to my problem....

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Nah I didn't use the Upgrade Assistant :D

In windows update, left-click on it to select, then right-click on it and go "hide"

johcar
04-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Ah. I can't start WU in Safe Mode (or start System Restore) and the system hangs when I try to boot into W7...

pctek
04-01-2010, 10:42 AM
However I am now getting system lockups and the Event Viewer is displaying (in the System section):

"The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start"

That wouldn't cause the lockup. You don't need the Browser service, or even Server service.

I would download and install the actual Win7 drivers for the PC, Windows says it does them but I found not very well with some of them.

What else does Event Viewer say?

johcar
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
It's strange. Sometimes I get to see the Desktop before it freezes, sometimes it freezes at the "Welcome" point.

Event Viewer, in the System section. The first Error message after the Critical (where I had to power it off) states:

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
discache
jswpslwf
MpFilter
spldr
Wanarpv6"

The next Error meesage is the one about the Computer Browser service - there are three of them, all the same.

Then "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the shell service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}"

Then "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}"

Then "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}"

Then "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}"

Then 18 more of the Service Control Manager "The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start" error messages

johcar
04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I have just downloaded all the drivers from the Toshiba site (18 of them). Do I run them all?

There seem to be two wireless LAN drivers an Atheros one and a Realtek one, with a comment against the Realtek download that the Vista one should be uninstalled before installing this one.

I don't understand why there would be a need for two wireless LAN drivers (wouldn't they conflict?) and I can only see the Atheros one in the Device Manager under Network Adapters anyway. The only other item in the Network adapters list ins a Realtek driver, but it's an Ethernet one..,.

johcar
04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I think I have found a way to do a clean install of Win7 using the upgrade disk, so I think I wll give that a crack rather than wasting more time on this.

My own clean install of Win 7 on a new HDD went beautifully... So hopefully, I will get a similar result. I will run the downloaded Toshiba drivers after Win 7 install completes (and cross my fingers)

pctek
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
There seem to be two wireless LAN drivers an Atheros one and a Realtek one.

Because it varies depending on the exact model you have.
Yours is the Atheros.

Thats one of things event viewer has a problem with.

Also:
spldr
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/

But yeah, if you can clean install without the upgrade hbit, do it. Loads of people have had hassles with the Upgrade.

Bryan
04-01-2010, 02:32 PM
So long as you can prove (if necessary) that you had a previous Windows version, it's easy to do a "Custom" install instead of an "Upgrade".

johcar
04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks all - looks like the clean install route has been the way to go. A pain in the butt, except it gets the right result...