PDA

View Full Version : Dell Monitor Details - E 515 FPb

sarum
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Happy New Year,
I have a Dell monitor, given to me by a friend, it works well. To get it working on my Linux Ubuntu 9.10 on other than 800x600; I need details such as ;Horiz: sync:', and 'Vert:, refresh'
I'm amased at how difficult it is. Dell NZ wont let me sign up to ask because my 'phone number is not correct - Rubbish. I've googled and searched for ages. Has anyone any suggestions where I might find this info: please.
thanks for replies..........sarum

Jen
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Is that a LCD screen? If so, then you shouldn't need to do anything. Do you have a graphic driver installed?

sarum
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes it's an LCD, and the problem is not with drivers, but with Ubuntu 9.10 specifically. Previous Ubuntu versions recognised everything; well almost.
Loads of '9.10' users with elderly machines are stuck with 800x600. But some saint/hacker has come up with a work-around, needing 'horz' and 'vert' and also, if poss: 'Maximum resolution' info:.
The guy who gave me the monitor works for the IT dept: of a commercial firm. The monitor has always worked well with both Linux and XP.
But; I just cannot find E 515 FPb anywhere - that's all I need.

PS. I'm an elderly newby, but I understand from the Ubuntu forum that 9.10 hasn't got an 'xorg.conf' file. By inserting the required details and a bit more into(CLI) the console; then such a file is created, and all will be well, after other 'hacks' on the console.
Thanks for such a quick reply

jinja_thom
04-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Try this page, it's maybe not the exact model but it's a 15 inch dell and the numbers you want will be very similar.
http://supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1505FP/EN/about.htm#Specifications

sarum
05-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Jinja, thankyou for that link. I've printed the info: and I shall give it a go this evening. Lets hope it works. Thanks again for your and Jen's replies
sarum.