PDA

View Full Version : corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

bestie
03-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi all, had a failure this morning and couldn't start desk top, keep getting the above error.
Followed the procedure on MS site and also found on PF1 to copy and replace config file and can now start the PC and see all my files etc.

On trying to use system restore to back up past yesterday there appears to be no earlier restore points.

have I missed a step?

I went into the system volumes as directed looking for an older restore point but there was only the one folder for the current time.

It seems everything is there but all the connections are lost so icons don't link to the programs, internet setting lost etc. I can back up to another PC if required and reinstall, but would prefer to recover if I can.
If back up is the option, I seem to be having trouble getting a network connection running. Is this due to what has broken, if so tips to get this up also appreciated.

Thanks

pctek
03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Followed the procedure on MS site and also found on PF1 to copy and replace config file and can now start the PC and see all my files etc.

It seems everything is there but all the connections are lost so icons don't link to the programs, internet setting lost etc. I can back up to another PC if required and reinstall, but would prefer to recover if I can.

Mmmm. I would run a repair install on it instead of Recovery Console. Try it and see if it helps.

Otherwise I'd do the reinstall.

Did you have proper malware protection?

bestie
03-01-2010, 07:11 PM
thanks, run AVG
crash happened after two quick successive power losses.

To do a repair install should I run the XP disk? Don't want to lose whats there before I back it up. (I have run an xp disk before and taken one too many steps and lost everything.)

pctek
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks, run AVG
crash happened after two quick successive power losses.

To do a repair install should I run the XP disk? Don't want to lose whats there before I back it up. (I have run an xp disk before and taken one too many steps and lost everything.)

A repair install (choose Enter to Install at the first prompt and R for Repair at the second prompt), will not wipe anything, it just replaces all the system files, leaving your stuff and profile intact.

It LOOKS like a full install, but it isn't. It won't hurt. May not help but it certainly won't hurt.

wainuitech
03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
One thing to make sure of when doing a repair install, after pressing Enter, you will get the license agreement, press F8 - it will look for the Old OS, IF it doesn't find it DO NOT carry on, as it will then do a full install wiping every thing on the drive.

It should locate the original install, then you press R to do the repair. this article (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm) gives step by step instructions as well as pictures.

bestie
03-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Seemed to run through a full install but my files are still intact so I think I got it right.
Didn't fix anything but....so have reinstalled office and all the files work OK.
Had to download drivers for the ethernet card which got the network and internet back up, so at least I can back up to another PC if I need to.

Am having some net 1.1 errors getting some software back in place but hopefully as the windows updates work through the system will come back to where it was.

Thanks for the quick and helpful advice as always.