PDA

View Full Version : I shouldn't of got a Navman.

Nomad
03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
When I bought it, Consumer Mag said it was the better one for NZ maps esp rural.

Later I read and on this forum they say the Navman is too shiney that does not work well with sunglare. Also the touch screen doesn't work too well when you press it, it doesn't respond that well. You may need to stab at it for a few times.

Navman site provides no firmware updates. AFAIK they provide no software drivers or software downloads, so don't lose your CD. They also don't provide map updates for the country map you already have other than paying $99 on special.

TomTom a bit better in that regard.

Garmin is the only brand that I know of that allows the user to install 3rd party maps ie., maps people create themselves for free and one of the few brands that makes portable GPS device as well. Which is userful cos Navman only provides maps to North America, AU and NZ and EU. If you went to others you are out of luck. You cannot even make your own map for Navman. You need to buy a new GPS unit.

After using them for more than a year, they are all pretty much the time, I don't really need a wide screen 5" at $400+, well Japan have them at 8" - haha. All I use is turn by turn assistance and GPS. Don't use the video or picture viewer nor mp3 player nor the bluetooth func. Wide screen is a luxury because the std screen is enough. Buy a $$ big screen unit and one year it goes out of date.

Read that customer service isn't very good with Navman, hopefully I get it back in 6 weeks :angry

Billy T
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
And your point is??? :confused:

Nomad
03-01-2010, 03:35 PM
If I did my research better I would of bought another brand and not just relying on one source. Also like many things, the eye candy of features was too tempting, I find that I don't use most of the extra features.

Thing was the unit came back ok but now and then it would muck up the navigation, if they don't do enof testing I could be hit with a min of a $50 fee if nothing is found to be faulty.

gary67
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I have been using Garmin hand helds for about 10 years now for various things, in the early days for measuring speed when windsurfing at the speed trials in the UK, these days for noting down the location of caves, they are easy to use, the firmware can be updated and if you have the ones with maps they can be updated too. I don't have an in car one though

Nomad
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
I have a Garmin 60CSx great thing, I got a parallel import and no NZ map, got a free one when Kiwi's make and it is great. Some say they are better than the Garmin NZ map.

I didn't take the Garmin on the trip then with no GPS in foreign place create tension in the car :p

More features in the handheld unit thou.

Car units are the larger screen and the turn by turn assistance and find where the nearest gas station is :D

Navman - even map updates cost you. No software download. No driver download. No userguide manual download. The AU map would cost you $250 abouts. All the other brands provide AU together with the NZ map. Because they only sell NZ, AU, EU and North America maps, if you go elsewhere you are screwed. You cannot even make your own maps, because the device requires the software on a PC to be installed from the form of a MAP DVD, then you need to go online and have it authenticated with a serial key. Also the map license is not transferable, unless it allows you and consult with Navman, you cannot install the maps on your Australian friends Navman because you left your Navman at home.

Greg
03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
And your point is??? :confused:Ditto

Zippity
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
My MY500XT is the best thing since sliced bread :)

Jester
03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I think Nomad just wants to vent, I know I have needed to vent a few times with mine.

I bought a
Navman S100 (http://www.navman.com/in-car/3294/New-Zealand/Navman-New-Zealand/Our-Products/Previous-Products/S100/) (by the way the thread title should be "shouldn't have got a Navman") last year in April and am on my third one. So far two have faulted, the first just wouldn't power up one day, the second wouldn't acquire the gps signal. When it died the second time I wanted a refund but had to send it away to repair.

I chose Navman as it didn't want a suburb when finding an address. I used a Tom Tom for work a while back and it wanted the suburb, in most cases I had no idea what suburb the street in an unfamiliar town was in and so couldn't enter the address. This was my downfall in selecting a product :(

Compared to a Tom Tom, the Navman screen is very hard to see in bright light and the touch screen is tempermental, to say the least, especially when you have to slide menus down, I seem to end up selecting a menu item rather than it sliding.

The process of selecting and going back to menus is clumsy. If you do something wrong you end up at the beginning again, entering the whole address, rather than taking being able to take one step backwards.

You CAN update your Navman online, there were firmware updates for mine. Install the software that comes with it and go from there to update. You can also get the Navdesk software direct download so it's ok if you lose your CD.

So, if a bright easy to read screen, touch screens that work, and reliability is a factor in your decision in buying a GPS, my advice is to steer clear from Navman.

Nomad
03-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a S150. Bought it last yr Nov (edit_2008) or abouts before our S Island trip.
It has the bluetooth over your model S100.

Yep, hard to see in bright light, touch screen not responsive. I did pair my phone bluetooth to the Navman at home and just found pressing the numbers to dial or the menu on the Navman was more work and confusing than just dialling on my actual phone but these days you can dial on the GPS but not on the phone .....

It is clunky to use, if you make an error you have go back and redo it.

Download available? I had a look online but couldn't find it. Alright, maybe I can try to get downloads via the Navman CD.

My one, lost a GPS signal, on our drive to Auckland 1hr from Wellington, it just lost the signal. Mounted on screenscreen. If you turn off and back on it gets a signal for 30sec and then loses it, but you can look at the route established and manually use it. On the day back from Auckland it worked again but it would say silly things like please do a u turn on SH1, while you are on SH1 it thinks you are on a side road that is grey, not green, this long stretch of road beside the SH heading in the same direction - it says please make a left turn onto SH1.

I also had a software license issue. Somewhere in the software you may get download updates or traffic camera updates. I could not download mine because it said I needed to enter my serial key, tried the number in the box and etc .. and didn't work.

A software bug too. I drove from Wellington to ski that's a fair bit of km's travelled. When you access it via the software and look at the mileage travelled its incorrect. I think it only recorded 25% of the km's travelled. Thou the landmarks were accurate, where you started and stop, the km's recorded was just wrong. So I just the car's meter to get that and do a petrol mileage calculation. It was like Wellington to Turangi was only 200km.

For warranty hope they do find something wrong or they may bill me. The guys at DSE could not even spell. I had to dictate for them to type into the computer. They couldn't spell reception, so we used signal instead, I had to spell out the word initially for them, he short typed journey as journy, minutes as min.

In the cabinet today I saw the S100 for $399 I think :p or was that $350. The S100 and S200 models were there.

While playing around with them the Garmin colors are less appealing than the Navman thou. I also noticed the new MY series Navman has a less shiney screen.

What I would of liked is to say buy a Japan Navman map if it is good, but Navman doesn't support Japan. They also don't let you make your own maps nor upload a non Navman map onto it. Japan has been a place where I do repeat trips, not busy Tokyo but in the smaller cities where I prefer.

wratterus
03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Got a Navman MY30, love it. MY50 with the larger screen would be better but the MY30 is great for the price and very portable. Has found any address I've asked it to so far.

Sweep
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I use a Tomtom.

No complaints.

Nomad
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
For me the Navman was maybe buggy both software and hardware, touch screen less ideal.

Map accuracy was fine, no probs but like any deficiencies in GPS mapping that it sometimes does give you a less ideal path. Which I don't blame it. Such as, in Queenstown at the Apline Supermarket it would say go up this hill of residential houses instead of the main road when you want to exit Queenstown into the highway. North of Taupo new road there where you have SH1 and SH5 is new so that is understandable. When you get to say just south of Hamilton, instead of using SH1 it tells you to use SH1b so you escape the Hamilton City but go via these rural roads.

bluezone
03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I have a Navman S200 with 2009 maps update and 2gb memory card for it. Love it to bits has got me to all the places i have needed to find right down to the st number.

prefect
03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Tom tom cool because it has user inputs I consider them free updates

Zippity
04-01-2010, 06:27 AM
My one, lost a GPS signal, on our drive to Auckland 1hr from Wellington, it just lost the signal.

That is not a fault of the Navman.

It is all just part of the Wellington City Council's "Lets Keep Wellington Free of Aucklanders" Campaign. :punk:banana:banana

Cicero
04-01-2010, 07:19 AM
I have the MY30 and so far so good.

Good point re not going back one move,always makes you start from beginning.

Would love to be able to kick designers at times,of anything.

R2x1
04-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Tom :thumbs: tom

porkster
04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
You can get matt screen protectors for you GPS that reduce the "shiny" screen glare.

I have a Tomtom that I purchased in the US. (got it for US$140 instead of renting one for 2 weeks at US$70 a week).

Great machine but now when I go to buy the NZ map I can only buy it from the NZ Tomtom website (Australian website in reality) for $162 (US$116). The US Tomtom website sells it at US$65 but I can't buy it from there.

What a rippoff!