PDA

View Full Version : XP System Restore

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Happy New Year, to one and all :)

I have had an on-going problem with my Windows XP Home, with SP , system restore not working.

I click, on it and nothing happens.

I have asked on here last year, seems a long time ago, but nothing worked.

I really don't wana do a system reload so does anyone know of any good, reliable, alternatives.

On my Windows 3.1 system I still run Go back and that works well.

Years ago I tried to load on XP and it didn't work so well and now I can't locate the disk anyway.

Any help and advise is greatly appreciated,

Ian:banana:banana

gary67
02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Have you tried restore using the XP CD?

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Look in event viewer. See if any messages / errors appear here. About the time you tried to run it. Is it enabled?

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi, Gary. I really don't want to go down, that path, as it tends to stuff things up to much.

I am keeping that as a last resort.

Thanks for your input,

Ian

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Um sorry, Speedy, but how do I enter event viewer again... Still covering from surgery and am having problems remebering some things...

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Dah, I feel dumb. Re Speedy, yes I found it and it says System Restore is on Automatic..

wainuitech
02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Since its not mentioned what has been tried :

Could be corrupted files or fodlers - quite common.

Try this --Click start->run, type sfc /scannow Press Enter - it may ask for the XP CD to replace damaged files / Folders.

If that doesn't work try and re-install System Restore.

Open Windows Explorer and go to the windows\inf folder. Find a file
named sr.inf, right click on it and select 'Install'.

If you cant find the inf folder that because its hidden, up top, click tools/Folder Options/ View tab, tick " show Hidden Files and Folders" then it will show, navigate to the sr.inf file As shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SR.jpg) then do above actions to reinstall it. Reboot, see if its working now.

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi ya, wainuitech. Done the first one, sfc /scannow, no difference.
Just done other so will get back after reboot.

Heres hoping...

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Back again. Thought we had don't it, that time.

Re-installed, as wainuitech said.

Did reboot and when all disk activity had stopped I, carefully, pressed on the System Restore icon.

I got the "hour glass" and heaps of disk activity, for a short time, then it stopped. So I waited for a few minutes and did it again, same results.

So, sorry, didn't work :(

wainuitech
02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Righty oh then -- how much space is left on the HDD, you have to have at least 200MB.

Other wise, have a look at this please, click start/ run type in msconfig startup tab, look to see if StateMgr is there, if it is make sure its ticked.

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi, again, wainuitech. C: drive has 11.1 GB free from 18.6 GB and D drive has 6.77 out of 18.6.

StateMgr not in the Start up list in msconfig.

Did a search of my hard drive and no Statemgr.

From, http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/statemgr/, I found "statemgr.exe is a component of the Microsoft Windows ME Opearating System. this process monitors and verifies window's system directory integrity". I have XP Home..

Thanks and I just check my System Restore, still same.

wainuitech
02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
The system restore folder may be corrupted, and may need replacing, or you may need to do a repair install which replaces the system folders and usually ( famous last words) fixes any OS problems. Sometimes though, if a system is damaged to badly or unstable, its better to save all data , wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

One item I just located, but never tried it - in the inf folder locate pchealth.inf right click / install -- It will ask for the XP CD.

By any chance has this PC had a bad case of malware infested at any time ?

wainuitech
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Also might like to try this, just curious, restart the PC as if going into safe mode, BUT select safe mode with command prompt, once open you will get a CMD box, type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe Press enter, see if restore opens, if it does, cancel out and type in exit to restart the PC as normal.

ianhnz
02-01-2010, 06:09 PM
My anti-virus, Comodo Internet Security does a system scan every night. I have it set to On access, so everything gets scanned.

Just restarted in Safemode. When it loaded I said I wanted to goto System Restore, nothing.

While in Safemode I did a Malwarebytes scan.

All clear...

wainuitech
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
The SR.inf as mentioned before is meant to repair the system restore.

I'd go ahead and do a repair install.

Make sure you back up all data first, just in case it turns to custard.

ianhnz
03-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Thank you,

Ian

chuckie30
03-01-2010, 02:35 PM
hello everyone, I have a pc with xp. Tried a number of things and did a repair install yesterday. that worked and wanted to authenticate, I stopped there as the friend only had dial up and was going to bring it to my place as I have broadband. Then we loaded linux puppy from cd and were going to partition the hdd to install puppy to the new partition. During this process an error occured(with no definition, just that an error occured) Now its impossible to do anything with the computer. Even putting the xp cd in, and boot from cd, it gets to setup is starting windows and hangs there.:badpc:

KarameaDave
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Will the puppy CD boot?

chuckie30
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Will the puppy CD boot?

No, it also gets to a point and just hangs.