View Full Version : Windows 7

bk T
02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
My computer is driving me crazy since a week ago. Here are my specs:

MB: Gigabyte EP45-DS4p
Graphic: Gigabyte 4850
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
HDD: WD 1 TB

Was using Vista for nearly a year without any issues and 'UPGRADED' to Win 7 Ultimate x64 in early Nov 09. Win 7 has been running very smoothly untill about a week ago (just before X'mas), it then started to behave very unstable - sometimes it just hang there for 2 -3 minutes with the little circle spinning. Nothing moves; sometimes the screen turns grey, after 2 - minutes, every thing returns to normal.

Re-installed (clean install) at least >5 times in the past week. It is driving me crazy!:badpc: It happens even just after the 'clean' install of Win 7! without any otdher application programs installed. Therefore, I would say that there is no virus/malware, etc.

It looks like something is running at the background but I could not find anything at all! After all, after a clean install, nothing nasty should be there!

Could it be some hardware issue? Will hardware cause this sort of symptoms? My X'mas and New Year holidays have been ruined by it.:badpc:

KarameaDave
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Any clues in Event Viewer?

angry
02-01-2010, 02:04 AM
tried it with another hdd/or deleting and recreating partition/s on the drive your using?

I smell something left in the partition table/boot sector by 7 which it is not supposed to do, but dose.

Also try removing all the extra/not nessecary devices it may have suddenly decided it dosent like 1 or vv, or 1 of them may be dying.

JJJJJ
02-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Just remember millions of others aaare running 7 without your problem.
I wouldn't be blaming it.

pctek
02-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Was using Vista and 'UPGRADED' to Win 7 Ultimate x64 .

Could it be some hardware issue?

I doubt it, if, for instance there was a problem with %RAM or the HDD, you'd notice issues during the install.

This clean install you did, how exactly? You say you upgraded from Vista, so Win 7 is an upgrade copy, not OEM or retail?

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
It does have probs (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee396321.aspx). Its not as stable as people think. Millions maybe using it, that doesnt mean theyre not having probs with it

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Have you got Windows Update on, and been getting the updates? Check the history and see what hardware it's had drivers updated for and post the list :)

bk T
02-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I doubt it, if, for instance there was a problem with %RAM or the HDD, you'd notice issues during the install.

This clean install you did, how exactly? You say you upgraded from Vista, so Win 7 is an upgrade copy, not OEM or retail?
Reformatted the HDD. it's retail ver.

Have you got Windows Update on, and been getting the updates? Check the history and see what hardware it's had drivers updated for and post the list :)
Fully updated

tried it with another hdd/or deleting and recreating partition/s on the drive your using?

I smell something left in the partition table/boot sector by 7 which it is not supposed to do, but dose.

Also try removing all the extra/not nessecary devices it may have suddenly decided it dosent like 1 or vv, or 1 of them may be dying.

Have the bare minimum devices connected.

Latest Update:

Just finished installing Win7 to an old 160GB Seagate HDD and it seems to be working just fine - so far so good. Looks like it's the WD HDD is the culprit. That's my first experience with WD hdds. lol

gary67
02-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I would test the WD drive with their own testing tool

bk T
02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I would test the WD drive with their own testing tool

Performing the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Test right now. Quick Test found no errors and it's now running the Full Media Scan - it's going to take 2.5 hrs though!

What if it found no errors? Can I still get it replaced? It's only 2 months old. Of course, if my Seagate HDD is running OK.

mzee
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
First of all, if you can claim warranty, do so.
If not, write 'o's to it with the drive tool (you may be doing it now, takes forever!), quite often this fixes them. There may be a damaged sector which will be overwritten. Worth a try.

bk T
02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
First of all, if you can claim warranty, do so.
If not, write 'o's to it with the drive tool (you may be doing it now, takes forever!), quite often this fixes them. There may be a damaged sector which will be overwritten. Worth a try.

It is still under warranty, no doubt it as it's only 2-month-old. I bought it from PB Tech, Penrose. When returning (RMA) how do they check whether it is faulty other than running the WD Diagnostic check? I know Seagate (Singapore) just replace it without questions ask. Don't know about WD.

As regards writing 'o' to it, well, haven't come to that stage yet, still in the process of full media scan. Also, you mentioned that this takes forever, have you done it before?

BTW, is there a way to make it faulty so that PB will replace it?:D

KarameaDave
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
A Hammer?:D

bk T
02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
A Hammer?:D

Good suggestion! but it will cause physical damages which they will surely reject my request!:D

As you mentioned earlier, write 'o' to it and half-way through, turn off the power and this will most likely make it unusable, right?:D

wainuitech
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Bad sectors can and do happen at any time to any drive, even brand new ones.

Quite simply DONT try to Bull Sh1t the reason for a RMA - simply tell them exactly what was done to prove it is the drive.
it then started to behave very unstable - sometimes it just hang there for 2 -3 minutes with the little circle spinning. Nothing moves; sometimes the screen turns grey, after 2 - minutes, every thing returns to normal.

Re-installed (clean install) at least >5 times in the past week. -------- Just finished installing Win7 to an old 160GB Seagate HDD and it seems to be working just fine

On the original WD drive, you have problems,( describe them) also tell them you reinstalled the Whole OS several times from fresh, same problem. Changed drives and the problem went away - that basically proves theres something wrong with the drive.

I've had people try that to me , changed the story every 5 minutes as to whats actually happening - right away you suspect "OK a bit of BS here - what really happened".

bk T
02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Bad sectors can and do happen at any time to any drive, even brand new ones.

Quite simply DONT try to Bull Sh1t the reason for a RMA - simply tell them exactly what was done to prove it is the drive.

On the original WD drive, you have problems,( describe them) also tell them you reinstalled the Whole OS several times from fresh, same problem. Changed drives and the problem went away - that basically proves theres something wrong with the drive.

I've had people try that to me , changed the story every 5 minutes as to whats actually happening - right away you suspect "OK a bit of BS here - what really happened".

Good advice .:thumbs:

jarob
03-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi bk-T
I like you were running Vista for a year or so no problems, maybe a hang now and then but very rarely.
2 days ago I did a clean install with w7 Home Premium.
Everything was installed up and running on the net etc. so installed Avast which downloaded and installed no problems however it had to reboot to instigate the software.
It closed okay but then wouldnt reboot no way no how, no screen so nothing I could do.
Eventually I took off the usb ports etc. everything not needed and it came back to life.
Next I updated all the drivers I could get hold of
I have now transfered from my backup Easy Transfer, still okay, and will now one at a timel replace all the periferals.
There has to be one of them causing the problem
What to do about my emails (no outlook express) is also a worry.
Try just leaving the key board and router Cheers Bob

gary67
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Outlook express has been replaced by windows live mail which you need to install or you could use Thunderbird

bk T
03-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi bk-T
I like you were running Vista for a year or so no problems, maybe a hang now and then but very rarely.
2 days ago I did a clean install with w7 Home Premium.
Everything was installed up and running on the net etc. so installed Avast which downloaded and installed no problems however it had to reboot to instigate the software.
It closed okay but then wouldnt reboot no way no how, no screen so nothing I could do.
Eventually I took off the usb ports etc. everything not needed and it came back to life.
Next I updated all the drivers I could get hold of
I have now transfered from my backup Easy Transfer, still okay, and will now one at a timel replace all the periferals.
There has to be one of them causing the problem
What to do about my emails (no outlook express) is also a worry.
Try just leaving the key board and router Cheers Bob

I'm quite certain that it's my WD Hdd was causing the problem. As I mentioned earlier, I have intalled W7 on another HDD (seagate) and have installed all the necessary application softwares - they are all running sweet-as.

Just to satisfy myself, I put in the WD Hdd again, reformatted it, and re-installed Win 7, installation completed without problem but this time I couldn't run most of the stuff. Could'nt even load windows explorer, simply, most of the stuff won't work. Looks like it's getting from bad to worst.

Will wait till Tuesday and take it back to PB for RMA. I did not suspect it's my HDD simply because it's a new (only 2 months old) and a reputable brand (supposedly). Anyway, maybe just my luck!