PDA

View Full Version : regseeker v Windows 7

effie c
01-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi all.

I ran regseeker in W 7 and apparently deleted all photos copied from XP Pro- is this normal?--it suggests Regseeker is not compatible with 7
This program on XP never did anything stupid like that !!
I re copied the photos from the h/d now showing in W 7 as "old" and nothing has been lost permanently
Within the next week I am installing W 7 Business and doing away with XP- sad as it might be for me ( it is good )- but I am future proofing on very old hardware-( 6 year old hardware but quite effectively running W 7 in the RC version

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I would update to the retail version of Win7, if you want to keep it. I see no point in installing an RC version, if its going to die soon

effie c
01-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Speedy,

No I put it wrongly- I am using XP Pro on an 80 gb h/d drive - and also Windows 7 RC on a 40 gb h/d on the same machine, not connected but requiring the plug pulled to XP when I want to use RC

The pooter is a P4 and going well but I cannot afford a late model pooter -and don't really need it as RC is running well

I am using RC W7 -getting used to it- before I have W7 Business(retail app) given me for Christmas by a wealthy grandson :dogeye: next week.
I intend formatting and a fresh install on the 80 gb h/d and leaving RC & on what will then be surplus - unless I can use that as a joint setup "D drive"RAID" style

I can see the XP Pro as F drive when using RC7,and was able to copy sic, photos from it to RC 7- when I routinely ran Regseeker " clean registry" it wiped the transfered photos-- ie treated them as faulty registation files

The question I wanted an answer to- why did a working Regseeker in XP Pro spit the dummy and delete all files in RC 7.

It never did that when used in XP

Is it incompatible?

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I have no idea if regseeker works with Win 7 or not. It probably recognises files in XP and Win7 differently. If it isnt compatible with Win7, it probably doesnt know what the entries are in the registry (in Win7). I would be careful, WHAT registry cleaners you use. Some can delete valid entries, and make a system unusable / unstable.

Does it say it works with Win7?. If you install Win7 business, you may as well format the whole hdd and do a clean install. And use the 40 gb as an extra hdd. You cant do raid, the hdd's have to be the same brand and size. And the BIOS has to support it

pctek
01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I fail to understand why people use these sort of programs.
It's primarily a registry cleaner.
And NO reg cleaner ever really cleans it anyway.

A quick google shows loads of people having weird issues after using this thing.

Stick to CCleaner and tidy up manually.

effie c
01-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi Speedy,

Good advice- Ideally I should get a new 500Gb hard drive and motherboard/CPU, and 64 bit,etc etc etc- unless I win Lotto -fat chance of that

So, I make do at least I will have a base of 80 gb even if I cannot incorporate the 40 gb as a "D Drive- giving me 120 gb space.--but to install Busines W7 on a 40 gb and keep XPPro on what will then be a surplus,80 gb, as I get used to W 7 and forget I ever needed or even had XP Pro :crying

O K I will reseach regseeker and find out what I should have done before-it went in perfectly so I was surprised, and now a son-in law was going to install it when he comes back from holiday
Thanks for the advice
Happy New Year
:drool

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Is Win7 business 64 bit?? If you want to keep XP and install Win7 later, put XP on the 40 gb and Win7 on the 80 GB. But you'll have to format / do clean installs on both

effie c
01-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi PCtek and Speedy,

research says regseeker can be used and has back up automatically saved ----up to Vista from all O s previously
Yes some damning criticism appears after a Google
What you surprise me PCTEk is CCleaner will do it anyway--and I am big fan of Ccleaner- so it would appear I have all along wasted my efforts in regseeker"
effie c