PDA

View Full Version : Network security

Nomad
31-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Hiya

Kinda lost in finding where the security settings are...

When you select select file and printer sharing not made available via the internet.

Also if I want to request a username and password for file sharing this is via control panel - users right ... each user must have a username and password?

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2009, 01:32 PM
You dont have to have a password or username. You can bypass it altogether. I dont bother with either. I'm only sharing a folder, not the whole hdd. So, even if it gets hacked. Its no loss, its nothing of importance

WHAT exactly do you want to share? a printer? a folder? And what OS's?

Nomad
31-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I have XP Pro and someone else have Win2k.

I have a folder to be shared.

Not sure about XP but in the former windows, you can select that file and printer sharing to be not done in TCP (ie, interner), not sure if that is still possible.

In terms of hacking, if you don't have a username and password, how can a neighbour get to it? What initial protection is there first. Yeah, nothing of importance so I can bypass it.

PS. If I have a folder on my desktop which is under my profile's Document and Settings. I have to share my profile right? Or is it best to move to folder to say D:/Shared right ....

I tried it sharing just that folder but on the other PC it says access denied. I went into the main PC and it says I have to share the profile because that is set to restricted or something on that line.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I dont share any windows folder (probably not a good idea anyway). I create a folder then share it. Then copy whatever files to it. Of course, if a firewall is installed (besides windows firewall), you'll have to configure it first

feersumendjinn
31-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe this'll help
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

Nomad
31-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Ok. I will move it and create a shortcut on my desktop.

Re: wifi cards, not AP / routers. I used another computer with a wifi card so survey the area, it didn't find my main computer's wifi card. In terms of security, I should still set up wifi security on the computer with wifi card (without a AP)? Do I need to?

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2009, 04:25 PM
You need an AP somewhere, if you want the next door neighbour to access your files. Altho, I've read if you have Windows 7, it has a hidden wifi AP feature

Nomad
31-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Cool. Let's say I have no AP.

I have a computer with a wifi card, can they get my files? I can't remember what mode I am on ad hoc or infrastructure - I am on the ordinary one whatever that is.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Adhoc may work, if the other PC is in range, If it isnt it may not work. Only way is to try it. it'll either work, or it wont. Try this (http://jamus.co.nz/techthought/2009/07/18/wireless-ad-hoc-networking/)

Nomad
01-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Ok. Not gonna bother cos we have a AP.

For the PC that has a wifi card only. Going via the software I cannot find encryption settings. Are encryption settings only for an AP or when a wifi card connects to a AP?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2010, 11:55 AM
If the card doesnt have settings use windows. Make sure XP SP3 is installed. I dont know about 2k, Its not installed and I've never tried to use wireless on it

As it says here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815485)

For wireless clients running Windows 2000 (or clients running Windows XP SP1 and using a wireless network adapter that does not support the Wireless Zero Configuration service), you must obtain and install a new WPA-compliant configuration tool from your wireless network adapter vendor.

Unless 2k has something / settings somewhere, (if the drivers dont have settings) it probably wont work. So whatever the card is for 2k, check and see if there's an updated version of the drivers / or program for it

Nomad
01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Ok, in Windows XP SP3, where do you get the security settings ? I have Linksys utlility now, ok I will use the window utility.

For Windows 2k. It has a ASUS card PC CARD, has ASUS utility, will look into that.....

Nomad
01-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Ok .. I had a look at the Win2k machine, ASUS utility. It doesn't have encryption for the card itself. If you connect to a SSID (my AP) it has TKIP encryption, and you type in the paraphrase to access the AP. This paraphrase is in the AP bios by typing 192.168.1.1

I am beginning to think that wifi card has no encryption by themselves but only the AP.........

Back to my first question. Since I have AP with a hardware firewall with a paraphrase encryption, when I share a folder, I don't need a username password right.....

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Go to control panel / wireless settings. And configure it. Well you need a key for the AP and computers, so they can talk to each other. You dont need a password to protect the folder, if you dont want one. This is done in windows not the AP/router