PDA

View Full Version : Anyone really used a cellphone GPS?

Nomad
31-12-2009, 11:25 AM
When my Navman went wonky, I also left my handheld Garmin at home, I had my Nokia cellphone.

So I used the $1 10MB mobile data. I must of downloaded only the Wellington map so when I got to Auckland I had to download maps on the fly, it was so slow while you were driving, it couldn't track you on the map anymore, the whole map goes blank waiting for downloading....

I couldn't use driving aids because I didn't pay the $5/day. I think I did tried it out but I must of used up my demo at the time. It wouldn't even let you know the route, it simply just throws you to a page for the price per day and if you cancel it just brings you back to the map showing you your current position with no heading route at all..... let alone audio driving aids. AFIK if you want driving turn/turn aids on the Nokia that cost you too, so you pay 2x, or 3x, Vodafone data charges, Nokai tracking fees subscription, and Nokia driving turn/turn aids subscription.

So from my experience it wasn't practical. How have yours been?

beeswax34
31-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I've used Google Maps on my HTC and it works perfectly well. Had no issues with the loading speeds or the accuracy.

Does kill the battery but I have a car charger so it doesn't matter.

SolMiester
31-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah, google maps on my blackberry...although depending on the tower, you can be up to 50m?( or is it 500m) away from the pin placement.

psycik
31-12-2009, 03:33 PM
When I bought my Nokia (6210 Navigator) it came with a 6 months subscription to Nokia Maps navigation. Works exactly like a proper GPS, voice based turn navigation. Pity it costs $100 a year to keep it going.

Now I just use Google Maps navigation while walking or someone else driving, as it doesn't have the voice, or update which way point you're up to. It a manual action to pass each waypoint.

Hopefully with Google maps navigation announced on Android it will be coming for symbian.

Nomad
31-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah I got a parallel import so I didn't have the 6 months in NZ. I had the overseas map which is no use to me.

I find that I have to pay mobile broadband for assisted GPS. There is a navigation subscription and also a turn by turn subscription too.

I did have the navigation try out demo for a week maybe. I didn't have the turn by turn thou not in the demo. With that setup you just look at the screen and maybe it beeps at each area but it won't speak to you. Now I am not paying, I have nothing in terms of Nokia itself. It just tracks my position when move and doesn't care where I move. It doesn't draw the route for me, it doesn't speak to me. That function is not available unless I subscribe. I cannot for eg., tell me how to get to Queens Street, I need to manually find my own way on the map and it just tracks my position, so I zoom in and zoom out ok I go there and there and then there ....

R2x1
31-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Watched someone demo a cell phone navigator, I was quite impressed that I was able to keep a straight face and did not comment at all.
Turned on the Tomtom for the next few KM and was able to avoid laughing through that bit too. I won't be getting any gps cellphones for a while.

prefect
31-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Are they still in early stages of accuracy R2X1?

R2x1
01-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Well, at a guess, the cell phone navigation widget I saw is not the sort of thing you would dive back into a fire to save.
It would have to improve by a huge (approx.) amount to see if it even had any accuracy.

Nomad
01-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I've used Google Maps on my HTC and it works perfectly well. Had no issues with the loading speeds or the accuracy.

Does kill the battery but I have a car charger so it doesn't matter.

Did you use mobile internet? Or were maps already downloaded?
Is the HTC a true GPS or it also work with cellular towers?

Nomad
01-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Are they still in early stages of accuracy R2X1?

When I had the free demo, if you use mobile data internet (aGPS) and a subscription if required for navigation it works pretty well. Small screen and less visual aids than a car GPS. And if you want you can get a subscription of turn by turn driving aids too if you want.

On the Nokia if you don't use aGPS it don't work at all, well, takes a few mins to establish the position when you are just outside, so I haven't at all used it in the car.

With Nokia you will be paying $4.95 for a casual per day rate. Or more economical per month subscription plans or greater. I guess they are not bad for travel esp for overseas when GPS maps are $200-300 each provided you can get a prepaid simcard for aGPS. Accessing GPS a couple of days, for a price of a latte per day..... 2hr and the phones battery may go flat thou..... You will require to download all the maps you want first thou with a PC. Don't expect to whip out mobile data internet and download on the go.

pine-o-cleen
01-01-2010, 10:25 AM
... Pity it costs $100 a year to keep it going....

Holy F*ck! Why the hell would anyone pay that much when stand alone GPS navigators are less than $300?

Chilling_Silence
01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Use mine regularly, but get the $10 for 100MB a month (Voda) or $12 for 120MB (XT). Wouldn't be without it now :)

beeswax34
01-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Did you use mobile internet? Or were maps already downloaded?
Is the HTC a true GPS or it also work with cellular towers?

I was using mobile internet so the maps were downloading constantly. Its true GPS but it can also use Cellular towers if I turn off the GPS function.

Thomas01
03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Bit puzzled why anyone needs technical assistance to find their way in NZ.
I mean its difficult to find anywhere as simple.
OK for commercial travellers etc who constantly need to cross different cities each week but!!

Save yourself money and buy a road map for towns and for inter town try using what is probably the only road available.
Tom

Nomad
03-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Highway is easy.
But finding streets in night time is not easy and it saves time than to pull the car over each moment or so .... ie., going to the motel, finding a specific restaurant etc etc.... Using these in cities one have not really been to before.

Maps are not cheap either, arn't they around $25 for each town .. or city..... does add up. 2008 Christmas we went and see a good couple of cities in the S Island.

Nomad
03-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Not to mention that it creates argument in the car :D

We probably drove for 20mins trying to find Auckland bridge at the south end where people go fishing cos I wanted to take a photograph. Each time we tried it with maps, as the GPS went wonky, all we got was houses then we found the left exit just before the motorway....

Sometimes you follow the main road and you somehow bear left accidentally at night and find that you are now 2km off route and time to do a u turn.
If it was so easy you wouldn't see people knocking on doors and asking passerbys for help.

R2x1
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
OK for commercial travellers etc who constantly need to cross different cities each week but!!

Save yourself money and buy a road map for towns and for inter town try using what is probably the only road available.
Tom
After a couple of trips with one, it seems about on a par with pneumatic tyres, a very handy upgrade.
Also, it is a bit of a nuisance switching a paper map to a different language. The GPS flips happily in seconds.

prefect
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Tom

I find the gps a godsend for navigating streets in Auckland in the breakdown truck.
**** maps, hard to read whilst driving and with my advanced years I need to put on reading glasses albeit warehouse ones. When they are on I cant see clearly driving.
Street I want to go is always on the edge of the dumb map book, can find it but hard to visulize other streets and roads connecting to it. Lots of time say its gives grid reference on map page and buggered if I can find it sometimes. Bear in mind my state of panic at the time as the customer is ringing up every minute to see how far way you are.