PDA

View Full Version : OEM seriel - what to do if its missing?

Morgenmuffel
31-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Ok well my last thread was about whether i could reuse oem seriel numbers, officially you are not supposed to, ok fine.

However I am having a clearout of old comps and I have an elderly hp came with windows 98 I have the recovery Cds and am reloading the system from that, however I can't find the seriel number anywhere, t, from memory it was on the cover of a guide book or something, that has been put somewhere safe (too safe), do i have to buy a replacement 98 licence (I have no intention of that), or do i get it from HP or M$ or is it just too old and they will die laughing

Thanks in advance

wainuitech
31-12-2009, 11:46 AM
If they are real recovery CD's from HP, they will come with a serial number pre installed - or should.

Morgenmuffel
31-12-2009, 12:01 PM
If they are real recovery CD's from HP, they will come with a serial number pre installed - or should.

They are genuine recovery CDs and no they don't come with the serial preinstalled in the recovery cd thingy

However i have found a licence on another book so am using that

Cheers

KarameaDave
31-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Yay, 98 rides again:clap

robjg63
31-12-2009, 03:05 PM
If you have already blown 98 away (or it was broken and wouldnt boot) then you may be too late to use this:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

It digs aout the installed serial numbers etc for you from various versions of windows and other bit of software.