PDA

View Full Version : My Computer wont boot up when i take out my secondary HDD

Bigal1001
31-12-2009, 04:00 AM
My computer has two 500GB hard drives. on one of them i have windows 7 installed and on the other i have windows vista installed. i dont use vista anymore so i want to use the vista drive for storage, and when i take it out of the computer and leave my windows 7 drive inside the computer doesn't boot up. even though my windows 7 is my primary drive.

Thanks in advance

angry
31-12-2009, 04:42 AM
you say 7 is on your "primary drive".

where is your: boot loader/boot manager/boot partition?

Symptom sujjests it is on the same drive as the vista operating system.

if this is so, and it is not seperate from the vista os. It would be simpler to encapslate the vista os and use the rest of the drive as storage "as is"

if it (boot manager/loader/partition) is seperate then still use the drive as storage "as is" and just delete the vista os.

Else you will need to move the boot partition/manager to the front of the 7 disk and make it the primary "boot drive" which it clearly isnt at the moment, then make the old one a secondary.

This could just be a jumper/cable issue but dosent sound like it.

Bigal1001
31-12-2009, 05:16 AM
hi well to be honest i think my windows 7 is the primary one as when it boots it says that that 500GB is disk 1. and i installed them separately so i doubt that the boot manager is on the vista drive. but if it is what do i need to do to encapslate the vista?

KarameaDave
31-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Forget the Vista.
Try this first.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/startup-repair
If it doesn't work move on to this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

pcuser42
31-12-2009, 07:24 AM
hi well to be honest i think my windows 7 is the primary one as when it boots it says that that 500GB is disk 1. and i installed them separately so i doubt that the boot manager is on the vista drive. but if it is what do i need to do to encapslate the vista?

Both Vista and Windows 7 show their own drives as the first one, unlike XP which shows the drives in the order they are connected. The boot information will be on whichever OS was installed first.

Format the Vista drive, then do a startup repair on Windows 7.

Bigal1001
31-12-2009, 07:24 AM
hi,
thanks for the links. i've already tried startup repair but oddly the setup disc said that there were no windows installed even when both HDD's were connected.

KarameaDave
31-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Have you tried the method in my second link, startup repair doesn't always work
but bootrec.exe should!