PDA

View Full Version : 2 computers won't start up

curly
30-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Looks like a power supply problem. Trouble is I have three power supplies, one of which is brand new. However both computers do nothing on switch on.

Would like to ask just what needs to be connected for a basic setup. For instance does the mouse and keyboard need to be connected, same applies to the ram and the graphics card, the HDD etc.

I find it difficult to believe both have died a natural death over a timeframe of a few weeks.

Oh yeah, I tried a different power supply outlet (known good) and a different power supply cable.

One of the motherboards has a tiny red LED which lights up on switch on.

Both are AMD and take AMD XP CPUs. If a CPU was stuffed would the fans case still operate?

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Well you need the videocard if you want to see something

Are the videocards AGP?? The red LED on some ASUS mobos (if its between the AGP and a PCI slot), means the voltage on the videocard is wrong (the slot only works with 1.5v cards I think it is). If its any higher (3v) the LED will stay on. I guess ram needs to be installed. Dont think you need a mouse or kb. You may have to disable the options in the BIOS for both (so it wont stop on the post screen), when it detects there's no mouse or kb. You just have to make sure the CPU fan is plugged in and the ATX 12v adapter (if its got it). Otherwise it wont turn on, let alone boot. Were both working before??

Sometimes (if its new, or if you built it), it wont boot or work, if the BIOS doesnt support the CPU thats installed on the mobo. If theyre ASUS mobos short the pwr and gnd with a screwdriver (the panel where the front of the case is connected to). It could be a dead on/off switch

wainuitech
30-12-2009, 04:59 PM
All you need to have a PC boot to show the BIOS on the screen is Motherboard, CPU, RAM and of course the monitor connected to either Onboard, or a graphic card & PSU.

If you dont want to see anything, you dont even need a monitor - thats how two of my servers run - Headless, only have a Power and Ethernet cable going to them - every thing else is done remotely.

IF the PSU is OK and starts up, you should get power going to the fans, esp if they are plugged into the PSU Via Molex and not from the Motherboard.

I find it difficult to believe both have died a natural death over a timeframe of a few weeks. That is possible -- Had any power surges lately ?? - one surge can kill a PC(s) instantly.

curly
30-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Well you need the videocard if you want to see something

Are the videocards AGP?? The red LED on some ASUS mobos (if its between the AGP and a PCI slot), means the voltage on the videocard is wrong (the slot only works with 1.5v cards I think it is). If its any higher (3v) the LED will stay on. I guess ram needs to be installed. Dont think you need a mouse or kb. You may have to disable the options in the BIOS for both (so it wont stop on the post screen), when it detects there's no mouse or kb. You just have to make sure the CPU fan is plugged in and the ATX 12v adapter (if its got it). Otherwise it wont turn on, let alone boot. Were both working before??

Sometimes (if its new, or if you built it), it wont boot or work, if the BIOS doesnt support the CPU thats installed on the mobo. If theyre ASUS mobos short the pwr and gnd with a screwdriver (the panel where the front of the case is connected to). It could be a dead on/off switch

Yeah the video cards I am trying are all AGP , I have three vid cards, two of which were going when the startup problem occurred. Re seeing something. I was just trying to establish if a Vid card actually needed to be inserted in the AGP slot, for a bootup.

The LED is at the back of the Albertron KS19DS Pro m/board.

Yep, both were working before. The Albertron has voice messages and it did say "Your CPU may have a problem" over and over, till I switched off.
I have some spare AMD XP CPU's which I substituted, but though the voice message stopped, the comp did not start.

Re on/off switch, yeah could be faulty, except the LED lights so I assume the switch is OK. The other comp does nothing at all.

Hey thanks for the help Speedy, but its starting to look like both comps have suffered terminal injury's !!!

pctek
30-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Albertron KS19DS Pro m/board.
The Albertron has voice messages and it did say "Your CPU may have a problem" over and over, till I switched off.

!

More like the board.

curly
30-12-2009, 06:01 PM
All you need to have a PC boot to show the BIOS on the screen is Motherboard, CPU, RAM and of course the monitor connected to either Onboard, or a graphic card & PSU.

If you dont want to see anything, you dont even need a monitor - thats how two of my servers run - Headless, only have a Power and Ethernet cable going to them - every thing else is done remotely.

IF the PSU is OK and starts up, you should get power going to the fans, esp if they are plugged into the PSU Via Molex and not from the Motherboard.

That is possible -- Had any power surges lately ?? - one surge can kill a PC(s) instantly.

Wow, a reply from two of the most noteable and knowledgeable helpers on the forum. Of course Speedy being Speedy was first.

I had forgotten the onboard graphics which I must try, in case the AGP's have failed.

Problem, none of the three power supplies even starts running, so its starting to look like both m/boards might have failed. As as I understand it, the m/board sends a signal to the power supply saying it's OK to send power down the line now.. But still intend to do some further trying to get at least one going.

No, no power surges as far as I know, but they stopped working several weeks apart.

Some fans on one comp are molex, the other is M/board only. Think I have a molex to (three pin female m/b type adapter), round here somewhere !

Well hope you both had a good chrissie ( hope U are reading this Speedy), till later Ian

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Are all the hdds / cd's / dvd's connected to the molex connectors from the PSU?? Not from adapters (if theyre IDE). Because molex adapters are flimsy, and the pins can lose contact / come out of the conectors. And the result nothing works, or nothing will boot. This has happened here before. I had to open the case nearly every 2nd day, (because the system wouldnt boot), to push the connectors together. In the end I got SATA hdd's. It never happened again

PENTIUM
30-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Have you checked your cmos settings. Which video is it set for?
Usually the led simply indicates the board is receiving power.

wainuitech
30-12-2009, 06:24 PM
X 2 as to what Pctek mentioned - Boards could have turned turtle.

What I would do, is a process of elimination - get a known good PSU, plug it into one of the PC's - Does it fire up yes/No.

If not the try the other way around - suspect PSu into a known good PC.

work through / eliminate the components till there's only 1 item left that could be faulty.

The only problem with doing what I mentioned above, is you can run the risk of blowing something else up.

For example, if a PSU is dodgy, it may blow a good board. Personally I have a couple of old clunkers about for testing - if they blow up, no big deal, but not every one has this option. ironically they are old PC's I used with Albertron / intel CPU boards :p

curly
30-12-2009, 07:06 PM
More like the board.

Huh, another expert turns up, thats 3 in a row, when will it ever end !!

Yeah Pctech, I ment to say the message came from the motherboard.

Does not do it now, in fact, except for the LED, it does nothing, starting to look like the rubbish bin is going to be filled !!!

Hope your new year is even better than this one :-)

PENTIUM
30-12-2009, 07:23 PM
They were Albatron when I used them. Too many experts eh? Glad nobody takes any notice of my postings.

wainuitech
30-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Albatron boards are like a lot of others, you can get bad ones and ones that work fine, I've had 4 now in our PC's here, over the last 4 1/2 years only 1 has given trouble, two have been replaced and are in the workshop as "test PC's" - other people I know have had many problems.

While the BIOS could also be the problem, whats the chance of two failing at basically the same time. If there has been two or more PC's fail basically doing the same thing you have to look at whats common to both.

curly
30-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Have you checked your cmos settings. Which video is it set for?
Usually the led simply indicates the board is receiving power.

Hi Pentium, bit hard to check CMOS settings when neither computer goes :-)
Not sure I understand your which video question. But the vid card is AGP.

Yep, at least one m/board is getting some power as the LED lights quite brightly when the computer is switched on.

curly
30-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Well all, have a quick solution to fixing one computer. Found a similar m/board / CPU on trademe, intend to buy it. Install it and use it to test ram, vid card, power supply switch and the power supply its-self.

gza
31-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Hmmmm................................interesting

PENTIUM
31-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Sorry, a lot of servicing is intuitive and not easily told. Such as:-
Have you got a video card plugged into a not enabled slot!
Wanui could probably fix the probs in a few minutes.

wainuitech
31-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Sorry, a lot of servicing is intuitive and not easily told. Such as:-
Have you got a video card plugged into a not enabled slot!
Wanui could probably fix the probs in a few minutes.:lol: Thanks for the kind words - Wish I could fix this damn Internet connection slow as a wet week out of NZ.

Edited: Swearing at the modem/ Router got it working again :p

But yeah sometimes if you are fault finding and the PC is in front of you its obvious - other times its Huh :confused: