PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Shares to Windows XP/Vista

Xavier
30-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey guys,

I know that if a share is created from a drive that uses FAT32, I dont seem to have this permission problem, however, I guess with the added security features of NTFS, one of my biggest problems keep occurring repeatedly. Windows 7 can not seem to happily create shares from NTFS drives.

How can I easily do this? I keep getting access is denied or the permission error which has the same effect (in the message it displays).

I could change the drive to FAT32 but that does not solve the problem. I have another NTFS drive fully shared and that seems to work while another does not...really weird.

Any help and or further information need, please dont hesitate to ask.

Happy New Year and thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Xav.

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Disable password sharing in win7 . Leave the homegroup, if theres only 1 PC with Win7 on it. You dont need it. Configure any firewalls, if any are installed (besides windows).

If XP cant see Vista, you need this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en). If XP SP3 isnt installed. In Win7, create a folder / properties / share, add everyone, change it to everyone/read/write. Then share it

linw
30-12-2009, 09:06 PM
To elaborate, with NTFS, as well as creating the share, you need to set the security parameters (Properties/Security). Add the user 'Everyone' and assign the appropriate rights.

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Well you dont have to in XP, just leave it on simple file sharing. Then do it. You can still untick simple file sharing. Sharing will still work. I've never had to add anyone / anything under the security tab in XP. Or Vista. All I did was, add everyone / change it to read/write in Win7, when I created then shared a folder

leonidas5
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Another says thank you, Speedy. Spent half the afternoon trying to share windows 7 with computer with XP SP2 and then remembered your help from the other day.

Worked straight off!

May 2010 be bountiful to you!

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Sweet Leo, good to hear ! Happy NY to you too :)