PDA

View Full Version : ? experience of importing Red River Paper from USA?

R.M.
30-12-2009, 09:56 AM
As some of you know, I 'do' a bit of photography. As cost rises for printing my own work (paper & ink) I am looking at the logistics of using Red River paper (and possibly also Canon ink) from the States.

I use Canon gear - specifically a Canon Pixma iP8500 printer and mostly Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss paper.

Has anyone on the forum had experience of using/importing Red River paper and suitable inks for there own personal use? Charges at the border? A comparison of charges for products? Anywhere better I could use in NZ?

As always, I appreciate your comments! :)

SurferJoe46
30-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Red River is a fairly big name in paper here in the US - although not customarilly available in discount stores, etc.

It is usually a high-end professional paper and suitable for print shops and others with genuine artistic endeavors.

I once in a great while pull out some sheets of Ultra Pro Satin for those times when I want a really good picture.

My Kodak AIO with the Kodak Premium-Professional inks jets give superb prints.

Now I'm not a professional photographer - but I wow myself with this paper and ink combo every time I use it. It sure beats the generic Staples brands.

R.M.
30-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes, I've read good reports of this on DPReview. :)

pctek
30-12-2009, 02:54 PM
As some of you know, I 'do' a bit of photography.
I use Canon gear - specifically a Canon Pixma iP8500 printer and mostly Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss paper.

Despite claims of inkjet printer manufacturers claiming that you can crank out inkjet photos that will outlast regular film process photos- this needs to be taken with a couple of brain-grains of salt. An inkjet print or inkjet photo simply tacked onto your wall unprotected or taped to your refrigerator might not even make it to your next birthday much less 25 years as commercially promised.

If you are printing inkjet photos or prints with PERMANENCE in mind, the combination of printer and PAPER is very important. Certain papers have a much better record at keeping stable colors. These days, most new inkjet photo printer inks are reasonably long lasting- advertised for 25 years or more if protected and printed on decent paper. Well, probably not THAT long

Inkjet photos always fade faster than photos done in a photolab or a digital photo printing kiosk at a supermarket. Labs use a special ink that is archival quality, meaning that it could last over 100 years. Kiosks use a dye-sublimation process that doesn’t last as long but is still reliable. Inkjet printers, on the other hand, offer the least digital print longevity. The standard photo ink and paper for inkjet printers will result in only a 20 year lifespan for photos.

There are several places to find information on the longevity of different photo inks. One of the best is Wilhelm Imaging Research, which can be found at www.wilhelm-research.com . Before you spend money on photo ink and paper, find out which kinds have the longevity you require for your digital prints.

SurferJoe46
30-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I used a Canon and it left a lot to be desired about life and quality of prints after a few months - not years.

Nice thing though is that this new Kodak puts a clear coat over the final colors and the print is instantly dry and even though I put a few on a room divider that is baked in the sun - so far there has been NO color loss that I can see like the Canon printers/inks did.

I'll know fer sure a little later when the weather changes and I can get more sunshine in the living room - but so far - a lot better.

The Canons never had that clear coat even as an option - so this is both new and different for me. Kodak puts a 25-YEAR guarantee on the prints and warrants no color loss over that time. I don't know what they'd do for a pay-back if I had a claim though.

Nomad
30-12-2009, 04:02 PM
I do some photog too. I tend to get the camera hardware stuff from HKG or mailorder from the USA, B&H in NYC.

I have bought photo papers from them too.

Compare the prices they are quite cheaper than NZ. From my analysis roll paper do cost more than sheets, per the area, so I have not switched to sheet papers. I tend to get Epson paper for my printer which is an Epson, I also use Epson inks. They work well with the Epson color profile (ICC file).

Using diff combination can be good too, some paper manufacturers provide their own ICC file and I believe that is on the assumption of using eg., Canon printer, Canon ink on their papers.

Reputable shops will always declare everything, in terms of NZ Customs for import tax. They do a FX calculation to the NZD. If 12.5% of that (GST) is min of $50NZ they will bill you before goods are sent to you from Auckland International Airport. If the GST part is less than $50NZ they don't bother and just forward goods to your door without delay.

If you wanna use diff inks and paper to your printer. Not sure, I only suggest that you look at their website and see what downloads in terms of ICC are provided from them. They will have it listed per the printer brand right down to the model #. If that is not provided or the particular combination is not provided. you can get custom ICC profiles made up at various Color Mgmt firms in NZ or cheaper if you send a print out of the test charts to USA and they can make them for you around $40US I think. They email you the ICC file. This will work with that specific printer, that specific 3rd party paper and that specific 3rd party ink you have in mind. Any other combination of ink or paper or printer will require a another custom profile to be made.

For me I keep it simple and just use Epson stuff if somewhat expensive. But there are so many diff inks and papers and new printers coming out each 2 or 3yr that is a big mission to dwell into. So I don't. Reminds of the good old days of different b/w film, b/w film developers then the diff b/w darkroom printing papers and chemical combinations ...

SurferJoe46
30-12-2009, 04:09 PM
If I buy something from New York - I get charged for the cross-continental cargo fees. These fees are based on the number of zones the item has to cross before it arrives at my mail box.

I try to buy from West Coast suppliers - at least all the things I buy online anyway.

I just wonder if you are being charged those multiple zone fees to get an item from New York to California and then more charges to NZ.

MAYBE it would be less dear to get something from a California supplier than going all the way to New York.

Just a thought.

Nomad
30-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Joe, I guess a digital camera is around $40US, they tend to use USPS International Priority or UPS International Saver. Most times the UPS one is the cheapest unless it is not available.

Finding a California seller might be good but B&H tend to be v reliable and many Americans and foreigners buy from them, their prices are regarded as a benchmark too.

Adorama is quite good as well. They both have extensive internet stores from your lens cap to a medium format digital camera at a 50 megapixels :D

R.M.
30-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks to all - particularly Nomad - that's just the sort of info I was looking for. I've already dealt with B&H - great service. :)

Zippity
30-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Give the folks at Xerox NZ a call to discuss your paper needs :)

SurferJoe46
30-12-2009, 05:07 PM
You said the "X-word" - now you owe then $5.00US for SAYING it!

R.M.
30-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't have thought of Xerox. I have used Computerfood though - for Canon paper and ink.