PDA

View Full Version : Lost Dell Dimension 9100 install cd's

jarques
29-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I have just upgraded my PC to 3Gig RAM and want to install my newly purchased Microsoft 7 Ultimate system. While I have a replacement XP Home disc I got from Dell, I have lost (searched for 6 months) the other Dell installation discs plus those for Office Word, my Canon camera and HP printer. Everything is in the 9100 and I have most of the purchase code ID's.

My stuff is on two internal and one external hard-drives and I have just purchased a ITB external hard-drive (I assume if 7 is installed all original three drives will be wiped). Can I transfer my Dell and other systems without the discs? If so how?

Hope you can make a 74-year-old, puzzled Kiwi moderately happy again!

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 04:27 PM
If theyre installed already then no you cant copy the programs across, after you install Windows 7. You'll have to either find the cds or ring Dell. See if they can give you a copy. You can download the drivers from the canon and HP site.

Did you check to see if there were Windows 7 drivers for them?? Do one of the other hdds have a restore partition on it / them. The one with XP on it? ?? If youre using XP now?? If you are, you should be able to create restore cd's / dvds. But this may not inc Office.

Or to save you wiping XP, and if youre going to use the 1 TB hdd, for windows 7, install it to the 1 TB hdd (make sure you select the right hdd), then do a dual boot. Then you'll have the choice of booting into XP or Windows 7

Sweep
29-12-2009, 04:30 PM
You will not lose all three drives. Win7 will install on one partition/logical drive.

jarques
29-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys. I don't think I have enough room on the particular hdd for the Restore partition to work properly at the moment but that can be changed. I thought I read that 7 and XP didn't happily co-exist but they are OK on separate drives as opposed to a partitioned one?

I lodged a similar query on Dell's blog in the US so it will be interesting to compare their response but thanks again for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 04:54 PM
XP and Win7 can boot from different hdd's / a dual boot. BUT, you cant upgrade from XP to Windows 7. Unless you do a clean install

Sweep
29-12-2009, 07:35 PM
You can divide one physical hard drive into more than one logical drive.

Install XP and Win7 in dual boot.

pctek
29-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I want to install my newly purchased Microsoft 7 Ultimate system
I have lost the other Dell installation discs plus those for Office Word, my Canon camera and HP printer.
!

It's not necessary.

Install Win7 - it will wipe c: but not D: etc.
Download any drivers that Win7 does not install itself from the manufacturers website.

For the PC itself, thats Dells site or you could look at the motherboard model and go direct to the motherboard manufacturers site.

Same for printers and cameras.

You shouldn't need to though. As for Word, use Open Office.

KarameaDave
29-12-2009, 08:29 PM
If you know anyone with a Vista disk you could upgrade your XP to that then to Win7.
But it's a last resort because it may throw up a swag of issues.:eek: