PDA

View Full Version : Phone cable wiring

chiefnz
29-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Ok... I've just been moved from the the LLU network to the wholesale network.

Internet speed is great (12Mbps) but my phone line has a crap load of interference. I had no issues with the phone prior to moving to the wholesale network.

I suspect maybe that the phone cabling (or at least the way its been done) may be the problem here.

I have the main line coming into a jack point from underneath the house... I then have 3 other jackpoints which appear to have been daisy chained from each other to various locations within the house.

So I have...

main line into jackpoint 1
cable daisy chained from jackpoint 1 to jack point 2
cable daisy chained from jackpoint 2 to jack point 3
cable daisy chained from jackpoint 3 to jack point 4

What I want to do is just have the one jack point and remove all the others...

Can I just cut the wires of the jack points I don't want... it would only be one cable I'll be removing as the others are chained off the resultant jack points...

Any advice?

Thanks,

CliveM
29-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I would (using the suck it and see principle) go ahead and disconnect it. Just be sure you know how to put it back if need be.

pctek
29-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Internet speed is great (12Mbps) but my phone line has a crap load of interference.

I have the main line coming into a jack point from underneath the house... I then have 3 other jackpoints which appear to have been daisy chained from each other to various locations within the house.

Can I just cut the wires of the jack points I don't want...
No, disconnect the wires to the second jackpoint. Thats all you need to do.

KarameaDave
29-12-2009, 03:27 PM
No, disconnect the wires to the second jackpoint. Thats all you need to do.
+1

chiefnz
29-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks that's what was thinking...

Cheers,

chiefnz
04-01-2010, 06:59 PM
OK, I have finally yanked out all the additional daisy chain cabling...

I now only have the primary phone cable active.

It has 4 wires...

black
yellow
white
brown

Only the yellow and black cables are being used. My phone line is shocking... so I'm now thinking there is something else wrong... in terms of interference etc.

The line is going into a jackpoint which has one of those blue capacitors.
I have 2 other jackpoints which don't have the blue capacitor...

Broadband is working and so is the phone but the phone line quality is really bad.... I spoke to friend who lives down the road from me and he has the same issue with his phone but he says his isn't as bad as mine as it comes and goes, the line is crackly. Mine is more like continuous interference... similar to what "snow" sounds like on your TV set when the channel is tuned properly.

Should I use the one with or without the capacitor?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

lakewoodlady
04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
So you do have line filters on the phone jacks?

LL

pctek
04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
The line is going into a jackpoint which has one of those blue capacitors.
I have 2 other jackpoints which don't have the blue capacitor...
I spoke to friend who lives down the road from me and he has the same issue with his phone but he says his isn't as bad as mine as it comes and goes, the line is crackly. Mine is more like continuous interference... similar to what "snow" sounds like on your TV set when the channel is tuned properly.

Capacitor means its a master jackpoint. Its irrelevant these days.
Pull the capacitor out.
In fact I'd be looking at all the wiring. If theres noise theres a reason.

decibel
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Ring 120 , Telecom can actually TEST your line as opposed to people here just GUESSING what's wrong.

CYaBro
04-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Whenever we've had a problem like yours, internet working fine but phone line noisey, it has been a problem with the line outside the house.
Telecom have come, actually they've been about 4 times in the last year to fix the same problem but that's another story, and they have found that a join in the cable on the street has had water leak in to it.
They fix the join and the phone line is good again, until the next decent amount of rain and then it is back again!
We also had the same problem at our last house and it was also a broken cable that had been joined and that join had got water in it.

KarameaDave
04-01-2010, 10:40 PM
they have found that a join in the cable on the street has had water leak in to it.
They fix the join and the phone line is good again, until the next decent amount of rain and then it is back again!
We also had the same problem at our last house and it was also a broken cable that had been joined and that join had got water in it.
Yeah, happened to us several times when we lived on the West Coast.

chiefnz
05-01-2010, 12:06 AM
So you do have line filters on the phone jacks?

LL
Yes I bhave one filter on the current cable.

Capacitor means its a master jackpoint. Its irrelevant these days.
Pull the capacitor out.
In fact I'd be looking at all the wiring. If theres noise theres a reason.

Well the noise is still there now that I'm using just the primary cable from outside the house

chiefnz
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Ok I have wired andother cabled from the main jackpoint to a second jack where my other PC's are.

Broadband is working but I'm getting quite a few disconnects. The phone line is still crackly as hell.

Next step will be to contact the ISP to get the incoming line checked.

Is there a specific way to wire the phone cable...

I have the black wire connected to the slot numbered 2 on the jackpoint and the yellow wire connected to the slot numbered 5.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Agent_24
05-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Just ring your phone company

It's free unless it's your fault (like your own phone is broken or something)

From the sounds of it though it's highly likely to be a line fault and only something that Telecom etc can fix