PDA

View Full Version : Device manager yellow tag

prefect
29-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Done xp reinstall and still got 2 yellow tags for video controller and video controller vga compatible.
Everytime I download and install the driver, its ATI Radeon it goes to big red screen with ATI on it freezes leave it by itself the computer restarts.
Go to device manager still yellow.
I know its correct driver because from 3 separate sources it down loads same one
Source 1 dell enter tag number gives this driver for video card
Enter dell computer type same
Go to ATI download site as DELL book says its got an ATI Radeon X300se card.
Any reason it freezes when installing the driver pretty sure its right one but havent pulled computer part to check.

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Delete them then reboot. See if they reappear again with the yellow tag. Is it a black ! in front of yellow?

pctek
29-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Download it form ATI only.
Make sure you choose the correct operating system as well.
If it doesn't like the latest driver, use an older one.

prefect
29-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Delete them then reboot. See if they reappear again with the yellow tag. Is it a black ! in front of yellow?

Deleted them they came back all yellow

prefect
29-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Download it form ATI only.
Make sure you choose the correct operating system as well.
If it doesn't like the latest driver, use an older one.

Downloaded from ATI checked os is xp tryed older one from dell device cd .
Still the same problem as soon as I click on the downloaded driver it goes to install mode then gets to big red page with ATI and freezes if left the computer restarts itself
I had better get into the case what does the video card look like? where is it?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I had better get into the case what does the video card look like? where is it?
Thanks

Its what the monitor is plugged into. Follow that you'll see it. If you double click on those entries whats the error code/s?

prefect
29-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for that will try later the kids want to play runescape

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 01:43 PM
What else is in the case?? ie: PCI cards etc. It could be conflicting with something else

prefect
29-12-2009, 02:07 PM
It has been going fine for 4 years but I formatted and re installed xp on it yesterday.
Never touched anything in case its standard dell.
According to device manager its in pci slot 10 which means nothing to me.
I will remove it and double check numbers otherwise I will buy another card what do they cost?

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I will remove it and double check numbers otherwise I will buy another card what do they cost?

Depends what kind of card it is (PCI or AGP, or other). And how much ram you want on the videocard. On how much it costs. Altho, if it uses AGP or PCI, theyre pretty hard to find these days. As most new systems now use PCI-E. Does it show an error under any tabs when you dbl click on those entries in device manager?

prefect
29-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Depends what kind of card it is (PCI or AGP, or other). And how much ram you want on the videocard. On how much it costs. Altho, if it uses AGP or PCI, theyre pretty hard to find these days. As most new systems now use PCI-E. Does it show an error under any tabs when you dbl click on those entries in device manager?

On video controller device it says not configured correctly code1
On video controller (vga compatible) drivers not installed code 28
How come everything seems to work though?

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Everything will or does work. But the card doesnt. Probably because there are no drivers for it(XP's install doesnt have any), and the drivers that you installed, obviously arent the right ones. Since it crashed. Double click on the video controller entry, then go to the details tab, change it to hardware id. Press ctrl-c to copy whats here. Then press ctrl-v to paste it in here

prefect
29-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Everything will or does work. But the card doesnt. Probably because there are no drivers for it(XP's install doesnt have any), and the drivers that you installed, obviously arent the right ones. Since it crashed. Double click on the video controller entry, then go to the details tab, change it to hardware id. Press ctrl-c to copy whats here. Then press ctrl-v to paste it in here
Here it goes, thanks

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_06021002&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_06021002
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&CC_0300

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Is this what you downloaded ? (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.21&lang=English) It does look, like it is the X300. Go to start/run type eventvwr. Look under system, about the time it rebooted (it crashed right)?? It may show a ! or X here. Whats it say?? Press the windows key on the keyboard + pause. Go to advanced / bottom option. Untick automatically restart. If it crashes again, note the stop error and the file/driver (if it shows one). Tell us what it says

prefect
29-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Yep thats the one, what happens is when it installs itself it goes to a big red splash screen with ATI on it it just freezes only wayto unfreeze it is to pull the power plug out.
Exactly same with driver from dell resourse driver cd
nothing on eventvwr what is pause?
thanks

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 06:53 PM
The red screen is meant to come up thats the install screen for the ATI drivers. It does take a while to get to the screen, where it gives you the option to install whatever. If it gives you the option for folding@home untick it then carry on. WAIT for a few minutes.

So, it doesnt crash then, you pull the plug?? Dont pull the plug out, you may end up corrupting the hdd, if you do that too often. Pause is on the keyboard pause/break. Press it (and the windows key), at the same time to bring system up

prefect
29-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Have tried to install driver again it froze on red screen left it for around 6 minutes and managed to shut it down by pushing reset button on computer.
Nothing in event log.
There were a few X s in event log but they were from installing printer and Bluetooth dongle around midday.
Got a plan tomorrow remove card and check its the make and model as described in dell documentation.
If it the same card as described above I smash it with a hammer and get another one.
If it is a different make model I will get drivers for that model.

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Go here (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=58K7L1S&SystemID=Dimension%205150/E510&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=), and download a file called Delldriverdownloadmanager.exe, then run it. Its at the bottom. The ATI video driver

prefect
29-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Tried this one before and again just now after downloading and clicking it it a note comes up saying this windows cant open this to open this file windows needs to know what program created bla bla.
The hammer is looking good.

feersumendjinn
29-12-2009, 11:26 PM
You have not mentioned anywhere that you have reinstalled your motherboard drivers, after reinstalling XP, because it's giving you a clue when it says it has a fault with the video controller (which is not your videocard but is likely to be a motherboard/system device or maybe integrated video).
This is prolly why the dell driver download manager wouldn't run
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19295056/19554664.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen

prefect
30-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I have reinstalled all the drivers from dell resource cd and from dell site for my tag numbered machine.
Just the ATI one freezes.
If it is integrated would you know because the screen plug is attached to the main board instead of being in a slot?
The link says you dont need the manager anyway its just a simple way of downloading all the drivers at once.

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 08:14 AM
I dont know what you've done to make it say it needs to know what program created it. I downloaded that file ran it, it ran. Then you click on install. And it installs something. I wont do it, because I dont have a dell

Try it in IE

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 08:31 AM
IS XP up to date?? Install the services packs, and the updates after that. Then it should work. Its probably missing something from an update

prefect
30-12-2009, 08:38 AM
updates all up todate.

Cicero
30-12-2009, 08:50 AM
updates all up todate.

Mate this is too painful,take it in and get it fixed.

Are none of the geeks on here handy?

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Well I could check it out from here with teamviewer. To see if I could get it to install. But thats up to prefect. Are any of the .net framework files installed?? Thats probably why it wont work

Cicero
30-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Well I could check it out from here with teamviewer. To see if I could get it to install. But thats up to prefect

He must be getting close to requiring a fix.:illogical

prefect
30-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I am doing urgent paperwork at moment then I will do fixes as posted.
Thanks for help so far its appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Go back to that drivers site, click on the download link. SELECT the 2nd option. Download via your internet browser, then it may work. Then install/run it. The file you download is R118968.exe

As it says after you download this file

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for R118968.EXE

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R118968.EXE.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R118968. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R118968 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

prefect
31-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Pulled video card out to get numbers and manufacturer and it was the card Mr Dell said should be in there.
I was going to smash it with hammer but my son lets give it one more go. Put it back in went to dell site downloaded the driver. This time it installed the drivers without freezing on the ATI splash page.
Went to device manager still yellow tags. Was definitely going to pull card out and smash and son said try the resource driver dell cd one more time this time it got past the ati red page and installed restarted computer you blardy beauty the screen resolution changed the cursor stopped going in waves.
Blardy magic the money I saved by not having to buy video card I will use to buy some 8% woodies for tonights piss up.
Thanks for all the help especially Mr Speedy.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Sweet :banana Good to hear it finally installed !