PDA

View Full Version : BluRay Drive for Home Theatre PC

Chemical Ali
28-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm looking at buying a BluRay drive for my home theatre PC - The PC is currently displaying at 1920 x 1080 (1080i?) on my 32" LCD TV.
O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium
Video Card: PCI-e Radeon 4770 [MSI R4770 Cyclone Video Card, Radeon HD 4770, 512MB, DDR5, PCIe-16, DVI, HDTV, CrossFire, HDMI]
Display: Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV
Currently the PC is connected to the TV via a DVI - HDMI cable.

I believe that my entire video path from PC to TV is HDCP compliant/Hi Def capable so if I buy a bluray drive everything (when I play a BluRay disc) should display crystal clear in all it's Hi-def 'glory'!
Am I correct in assuming that?
Would an HDMI - HDMI cable produce better results or is it neccessary in ordre to play BluRay discs at their full resolution?

Thanks

Paul

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 09:18 PM
HDMI is better for Bluray if the HDMI cable is connected to a TV that can display full HD (1920*1080 - 1080 I / P). With an HDMI connection. Since, you'll also get the sound with HDMI. You wont with DVI, (altho the pic will look the same), but it doesnt carry audio. You'll have to plug something in audio out to get the sound

wainuitech
28-12-2009, 09:19 PM
At the moment the news is mostly BAD - check out This thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=106135) -- Just spent the last hour "browsing" the general outcome is Blu-ray commercial disc's are the harder ones to get to play on a PC, any Blu-ray that is recorded say from a home video cam - no problems.

I was looking at buying a Blu-ray drive for my media center, but after reading all the problems I think I'll stick to a stand alone Blu-ray player that plugs into the TV & save the hassles of crashing software and incompatible components.

Chemical Ali
28-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks -- I will have a bit of a browse around the interweb myself too but from initial research it doesnt seem to be as straightforward as I thought/hoped it would be.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I may buy a B/R player / cd/dvd burner down the road, for $178 (its not a B/R burner tho). And use WinDVD 2010, on this monitor. And see what its like. No loss if it wont play B/R. I'll use it for burning cd's and dvd's instead

Zippity
28-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm also about to go down the BluRay path, and it has been suggested that I invest in a PS3 instead of a standalone B/R player.

Any comments for/against?

My Sony Bravia 42" is HD.

wainuitech
28-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Awhh the TV is crap - better give it to me :rolleyes: :p

Nice TV - That was the one, I was :drool over the other day.

McRuff
29-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a LG Blu-Ray/HD Dvd Drive in my computer and use it for watching Blu-Rays regularly. I have no issues with Blu Ray or HD DVD playback and it would work fine as Home Theatre PC.

The Drive came with Power DVD 7.3 which allows for the playback of Blu Ray and HD DVD's however it appears they have stopped releasing updates for it and the latest updates were buggy and caused the program to crash at every launch. Because of the Blu Ray protection you need to have regular updates to keep playing the latest protected disks. I could have payed for an update to Power DVD 8 or 9 but as they have dropped support for HD DVD I didn't bother.

I Purchased Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 and that has played every HD Disk without any problems. It also integrates with Media Centre if you like to use that.

I also have AnyDVD HD which would fix any issues with HD compliance.

However in spite of all that I think if my Financial Controller ever allows me to buy a Hi Def TV I will go the Media Player route, because of the space/noise issues and I wouldn't use the computer for anything else, so it would be a bit of overkill.

plod
29-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm also about to go down the BluRay path, and it has been suggested that I invest in a PS3 instead of a standalone B/R player.

Any comments for/against?

My Sony Bravia 42" is HD.

The PS3 is still one of the best BR players out there. Do a google. 100% satisfied with mine. I think it comes down to if you would ever use the other features of PS3 to justify the extra price.