PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD Drive has Disappeared!!

muzza
28-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I have an HP NX5000 Laptop with a HL-DT-ST-DVD+RW GCA-4040N CD/DVD drive.
BUT - this drive has suddenly stopped working and although the drive is physically installed and the tray can be opened it shows as not being installed (Code 41)
I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and downloaded new drivers, but when trying to install these it comes up with the messgae that it can not find the drive.
Any ideas what could have happened?

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 07:03 PM
What version of windows is on it?? This may fix it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)

angry
28-12-2009, 07:10 PM
This is also one of the hints that model/range of nc/nx machines give, that it is time to consider a new one, before it compleetly stops.

Especially if the drive itself checks out ok in another unit.

If this is one of the models with a slide in/out cd drive bay check also for dirt on contacts and tight/proper lock in.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 07:12 PM
It usually happens if you install some virtual cd software. or programs like Roxio cd burning software. It stuffs things up

muzza
28-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Speedy - I am running XP Pro. Tried the Microsoft link/fix but although it detected the drive could not install it.
I have checked the contacts and appears to be all good.
This drive is a type that can be ejected and appears to use a USB port.
The only program I have recently installed is a new version of Norton (360)

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 07:31 PM
It wont install anything, it'll fix the entries in the registry that are causing it

Did you do what it says on the site??

Windows XP

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
10. Exit Registry Editor.
11. Restart the computer.

Nortons 360 may have caused it (http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-32903-i-cannot-viw-my-cd-rom-dvd-drive)

muzza
02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Many thanks Speedy...your suggestion worked. Rather annoying that Norton has not got this right and causes problems like this with one of the most used OS!

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Sweet, good to hear its fixed.