PDA

View Full Version : Windows Seven Driver

stormdragon
28-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey Guys,

Decided to finally ditch Vista and load Seven on my laptop.

When I try to install Seven I get an error saying a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing............

Laptop is a Compaq Presario B1201TU, there are no Seven drivers on HP's website. I have tried the Vista chipset drivers but just got given a list of about 50 options from which to select the right one to install.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 06:26 PM
You shouldnt need drivers. Are you doing a clean install?

stormdragon
28-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey Speedy, yea trying to do a clean install.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 06:49 PM
WHEN does it say you need a driver? After you get to the setup screen, or before? It cant be SATA drivers, Vista and Win7 dont need them. And it wont be the chipset drivers, since you need windows to install it. The cd or whatever on this laptop is a cd and dvd right? It looks like a few people are having the same prob. and fixed it by installing win7 from a USB flash drive

stormdragon
28-12-2009, 06:53 PM
The error appears once you boot from the install disk and click on "Install Now".

I didn't really think it would be the chipset drivers but couldn't think of any others that might make a difference.

Yea its a normal CD/DVD drive.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Where did the DVD come from? Did you buy it or download it then burn it? Did you highlight the hdd, then click on install?

stormdragon
28-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Downloaded the iso from MSDN-AA and burnt, have burnt it twice both times at slow speeds and verified them.

Doesn't get to the stage of selecting hard drives comes up with the error straight after this (http://www.winsupersite.com/images/win7/win7_beta_14.jpg) screen.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Umm what version of Windows 7 is on the dvd? 32 or 64 bit?? Because if its 64 bit and the laptop (maybe 32 bit / does the laptop support 64 bit ?), that could be the prob.

stormdragon
28-12-2009, 07:21 PM
32 bit Professional

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Did you change the bootdisk to the dvd in the BIOS?? Before you installed it?

wainuitech
28-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Had this happen once - it was a bad download from MS (I have a technet Sub) even burning at the slowest speed it wouldn't boot past the window you posted - asked for the drivers, re-downloaded the ISO and it went fine.

Try to copy the complete contents of the DVD to a USB drive IF it fails you will have a corrupted download. BUT even if it does copy OK there still may be a problem.

How big is the ISO file - it should be 2,443,256KB

Also go into the BIOS, and check the drives -
Switch from SATA to AHCI Follow the aforementioned instructions for booting into your computerís BIOS, then check your HDD or storage settings. Turn off SATA, switching to AHCI, and reboot normally, then re-attempt installation of Windows 7. If you think about it - it is reading from the DVD drive other wise you wouldn't be able to boot from the DVD to give that error message.

stormdragon
28-12-2009, 08:12 PM
If you think about it - it is reading from the DVD drive other wise you wouldn't be able to boot from the DVD to give that error message.

Exactly

BIOS only has options for Native SATA have tried with it enabled and disabled no difference.

Loads the iso fine in virtualbox.

Might try pulling out my test machine I connect to remotely and plug in a keyboard, mouse and monitor, see if that can take it.

Would try downloading it again but MSDN-AA won't let me unless I request a redownload from our uni admin who's on holiday.

stormdragon
28-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok I reburnt the disc from backup of the iso on my server and now it installed fine. Must have just corrupted the original iso somehow.

Thanks for your help guy's.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Sweet :banana

wainuitech
28-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Double Sweet :banana:banana :lol: