PDA

View Full Version : OMG Harvey Normal calling the system unit a CPU!!!

xyz823
28-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I was just having a look through their huge ad in the paper and saw a computer advertised as CPU only when they actually mean "system unit".

What dipshits run this place?

radium
28-12-2009, 05:18 PM
They have used that ad many times, and I thought the same

KarameaDave
28-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Well at least they didn't call it a toaster.:rolleyes:

robbyp
28-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I was just having a look through their huge ad in the paper and saw a computer advertised as CPU only when they actually mean "system unit".

Maybe they think CPU means something different. eg something like Computer processing unit. Its a bit like these stores calling those new LED edgelitt TVs LED TVs, when they are actually LCD TVs with LED edge lighting instead of CCFL

qazwsxokmijn
28-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Who cares....? It's just HN.

FoxyMX
28-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I laughed when I saw that. They probably put that so that "Mom and Pop" customers can understand what they are talking about since that is what everyone calls it. :lol:

R2x1
28-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Well at least they didn't call it a toaster.:rolleyes:
They don't know that it isn't. In the land of the blind, everything is a toaster.:help:

pcuser42
28-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I laughed when I saw that. They probably put that so that "Mom and Pop" customers can understand what they are talking about since that is what everyone calls it. :lol:

Calling it "the computer" is problematic as most people assume you're talking about the whole thing, and "that bit" makes it sound like you don't know what you're talking about :lol:

So really, CPU makes sense - a bit like calling mass 'weight' in a way.

radium
28-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I am amazed at how many of my customers refer to their tower/case as the "modem"
and whenever I get them to bring their computer around I have to explain that I just need the tower and that I don't need the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc... you can be sure that when i say nothing other than the tower/case they will still bring a power cable at least. (like I don't have a hundred here) always cracks me up.

Twelvevolts
28-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Describing the case (and components) as a CPU is pretty common amongst non-IT people, in fact I've even heard it referred to as that by IT people. The IT people at least know what a CPU really is, but it is intended to mean not including peripherals like mouse, keyboard and monitor.

So Harvey Norman just using a popular usage and anyway, only the uniformed would buy a computer from Harvey Norman as they're pretty expensive.

xyz823
28-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I have heard the whole unit referred to as a "hard drive" on more than on occasion.

KarameaDave
28-12-2009, 09:26 PM
One woman referred to hers as 'The Modem':groan:

FoxyMX
29-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I am amazed at how many of my customers refer to their tower/case as the "modem"
and whenever I get them to bring their computer around I have to explain that I just need the tower and that I don't need the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc... you can be sure that when i say nothing other than the tower/case they will still bring a power cable at least. (like I don't have a hundred here) always cracks me up.

Same, though I just tell them to bring the "big box bit". :p

Describing the case (and components) as a CPU is pretty common amongst non-IT people, in fact I've even heard it referred to as that by IT people. The IT people at least know what a CPU really is, but it is intended to mean not including peripherals like mouse, keyboard and monitor.

That is exactly what is going on.

I have heard the whole unit referred to as a "hard drive" on more than on occasion.

My father-in-law used to alternate between calling it the CPU and the hard drive. My Dad calls it the engine. :lol: :lol:

Peterj116
29-12-2009, 07:39 AM

I have users calling it that all the time. I've given up and just say "Just bring in the hard drive" to those ones, so I don't end up with the monitor as well.

If you can't beat 'em...

KarameaDave
29-12-2009, 07:50 AM
One woman referred to hers as 'The Modem':groan:Gee, I really should read all the previous posts!:o

Paul.Cov
29-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Yeah, one of my former employers did that. Gotta wonder what the tech thought the one time he took it in to complain "the hard drive isn't working". He wouldn't / couldn't elaborate more than that. Probably wasted hours testing a perfectly good HDD, when the issue was more with the human on the end of the keyboard!

pctek
29-12-2009, 02:20 PM

I just had a call from a lady saying I had built them a modem some time ago and the modem died, so husband had bought a new one and couldn't get it working on the hard drive.

I could hear him the background correcting her so she amended it to I had built a motherboard and the modem wouldn't connect to the hard drive, thing, whatever it is.

Turned out he couldn't set up his external modem using it's CD. I'd replaced the motherboard, CPU and RAM in his PC a while ago.

wainuitech
29-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Had a few people refer to the Monitor as the Computer as well - Forget about the actual "box" thats under the desk - that just came with it.