PDA

View Full Version : All my music files are gone!

stumpys
28-12-2009, 07:39 AM
I save all of my music files to a seperate drive on my computer - E: drive

Late yesterday afternoon I updated a mates Garmin on my computer, other than that I run only my own products on my computer.

This morning when surfing a windows pop up kept coming up in the system tray stating "Windows cannot read E:$M this file may be corrupt (blah blah blah). I know for a fact that I have no such file name in my E: drive.

Upon opening my computer it shows my E: drive as having no disk size/free space etc despite it being a 80gb hard drive. The hard drive properties also shows 0 bytes available and 0 bytes free.

iTunes cannot find a single one of the media files that was on this drive.

I fear that the Garmin may have infected my computer with a virus as they do have an internal memory and can hold files. This Garmin did have several folders on it that are not on my Garmin.

I run windows XP sp3 and my anti-spyware/firewall is a licenced AVG Security 3-pack.

Please help as I would hate to think all of my music has been deleted I just think that there is a virus making it impossible to "see" my music.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Did you scan the hdd? And the hdd windows is on?

plod
28-12-2009, 07:58 AM
It sounds like you might of accidentally erased, formatted(someone will stick the correct word in) your E drive, instead of doing something to the garmin

Renmoo
28-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Try accessing the external HDD on a different computer?

stumpys
28-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Have been out for the day. On my return the full scan of my computer is done - no infections found.

On trying to access the E: the following error prompt comes up - E/: is not accessable. File or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I doubt I have formatted the E: drive myself as the Garmin was effectively only a storage device and I was only uploading the most current mapset for the device via Mapsource.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have "lost" over 50gb of music!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at my C: drive I see that its available space is now 252gb and all of my E: drive including the "E:" tag itself has copied over to C:. How do I remake my E: drive to I just copy the music over to the now empty E: drive or will this stuff things up?

wainuitech
28-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Its possible the E: drive had bad sectors or some other sort of failure. BUT if this was the case, it will fail again - I'd backup the music to another source right away. External drive for example.

What you "should" be able to do, is right click the E: drive, format it - then copy the music from the "moved" folder back to the E: drive.

angry
28-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Its possible the E: drive had bad sectors or some other sort of failure. BUT if this was the case, it will fail again - I'd backup the music to another source right away. External drive for example.

What you "should" be able to do, is right click the E: drive, format it - then copy the music from the "moved" folder back to the E: drive.

Having backed up/coppied all the req data to another place.

Would it not be a little safer/better to delete the E: drive/partition.

Then completly recreate and formatt a "new E:" drive/partition.

Removing "hopfully' the error that appears to have entered the "partiton table":2cents:

stumpys
29-12-2009, 05:18 AM
THe unusual thing is that it is not a partioned drive but two (2) independant hard drives in the computer. One is a 80gb hard drive (C:) running all of my programme files etc the other is a 160 gb (E:) drive called "store" that holds all of my media files.

E: is unreadable now but on exploring the C: drive it has increased its total space/size to 240gb and now has a folder on it called E/store. WTF I am a computer dummy and in mo way had a tutu with any settings etc. Hell I only use my computer for music/email and internet

Paul.Cov
29-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi,

Frankly, I'm not familiar with Garmins, and can't be bothered to research them, but just want to float an idea.

Perhaps the Garmin has disrupted your drive letter assignments, with the Garmin having been assigned E:, and the drive that was E: now under some other letter.

This happens easily with memory sticks too, particularly if they are plugged in at the time the computer is turned on.

My suggestion: Turn off completely (not hibernate or suspend or log off, but full shutdown OFF). While it's off, double-check the plugs and cables to yuor E drive. Remove all memory sticks, Garmins and other external storage devices. Fire it up again and hope!

linw
30-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Very strange that the C: drive now seems to be the size of the combined C: & E: drives.

Personally, I wouldn't format the E: drive yet. As I see it, your first priority is to copy the music to an external USB drive as a backup (assuming the music files are usable). And copy anything else of value, as well!

After that, try to get to the bottom of the real problem.

gza
31-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Have you tried going to disk management (Start/right click 'My Computer'/Properties?Manage.....and see if your 'E' Drive shows there? I mean...does it have a drive letter?.....guess it must do if it shows in My Computer?..?..?
"
Upon opening my computer it shows my E: drive as having no disk size/free space etc despite it being a 80gb hard drive. The hard drive properties also shows 0 bytes available and 0 bytes free.
" ........strange one this
I presume that your 'E' drive is an External USB HDD?
Have you done a 'Search' of Drive 'E' for your media files? Are your music files MPS? Tried Search/MP3.....all drives?

Does your E drive show in 'My Computer'?
If it does, what is its Drive Letter?
If the 'E' drive does not show in My Computer, then it is either not jumpered correctly,the USB or IDE cable's not connected ...or..out to lunch............or
DO a search for MP3, .........nah..........does the E drive show in My Computer?....Has it got a Drive letter??

gza
31-12-2009, 02:02 AM
ps: i suggest that you don't load anything to the Phantom of the op-E-ra-rah drive.unUSB or whatever ya E drive and google $M or simply M.
Ya got YouTube/Download Shopping..........Lawdy miss clausey :help:......I'm outa hair
Hmmmmm..............where's ya music gone?
Dunno.............back later, gza

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Looks like somebody was on the happy juice last night ;)

Anyways, I had a similar issue with an old Maxtor Jade Basics drive. What type of external is it? The Maxtors are renown for it :(

Seriously though try it on another machine, it *can* sometimes be the difference between life and death :-/ You can also try Piriforms Recuva, a free download, that may help :)

wainuitech
31-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Pays to read all the posts - looks like E is INSIDE the computer, NOT an external drive - Read post 8

THe unusual thing is that it is not a partioned drive but two (2) independant hard drives in the computer. One is a 80gb hard drive (C running all of my programme files etc the other is a 160 gb (E drive called "store" that holds all of my media files. But the suggestions made - copy the data to some other place like an external drive would be a good idea, other wise you may lose everything.

Does the "moved music" actually Play ??

gza
31-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Happy juice is here again and not slungover. : )
I was wondering if perhaps the E drive had become Unformatted and/or unallocated space. This happened to me when I tried assigning a drive letter to one of four 50GB partitions on a 1TB external Seagate drive. The entire drive was 'wiped' and said that it was unformatted/unallocated.
All of the data was still on the drive and it was recovered using GParted 4 to rebuild the partitions. GParted was recommended by members here at PF1. I had tried Piriform's Recuva but it wouldn't rebuild the partitions on the drive and couldn't access an 'invisible' drive.
I was wondering if the E drive had somehow become 'deleted' and therefore will show as such in Disk Management.
If so then all the lost files can be retrieved quite easily as long as nothing has been written to the E drive......how can it be? Seems like its thrown its lot in with the C drive and decamped.
: )

wainuitech
31-12-2009, 09:24 AM
If the E drive has developed a few bad sectors in the wrong place - that will show as it is, unable to read no data etc -

This is a guess, but I have read someplace Windows is meant to move data if it detects a sector failing - it "may" have decided to move the data"-- Only a guess though.

I know chkdsk does this
The first step is to run the CheckDisk utility (chkdsk from your command prompt). This will locate the bad sectors, and mark them as such. It will, if possible, move the data from the bad sectors to good ones. Quoted from here (http://www.ehow.com/how_2167897_fix-bad-sectors-hard-disk.html).

gza
31-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Afterthoughts:
All of the advice of other members is good stuff I'd say, perhaps removing the E drive and trying in another machine would be good step, as perhaps doing a System Restore might bring it all back.
Worth a try I reckon, its the easiest option for starters.
Strange how the C drive has swollen to 240GB.....hmmmmm

wainuitech
31-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Its almost as if some sort of RAID 0 was created (disks join together to make one large disk)

If there has been failed sectors, system restore wont do any good.

KarameaDave
31-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Wonder what a live Linux would see?

Agent_24
31-12-2009, 10:37 AM
This morning when surfing a windows pop up kept coming up in the system tray stating "Windows cannot read E:$M this file may be corrupt (blah blah blah). I know for a fact that I have no such file name in my E: drive.

Actually, you do. Files such as $mft, $logfile, $bitmap, $directory - they are NTFS metadata files etc. They cannot be seen by normal means.

$MFT

The Master File Table. The data attribute contains the MFT entries, and the bitmap attribute records which entries are in use.

$LogFile
The volume log file that records changes to the volume structure.

If these files are corrupted, you can appear to lose data, even though it is still there.

If you run a file recovery program like Filescavenger or GetDataBack you should be able to recover all your music.

However, do NOT write the drive before you do this. Disconnect it until you get hold of such a program.

Then once you recover, you need to work out how this was corrupted to begin with..

gza
31-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Excellent, I'll shut up and listen with my eyes :cool:

fred_fish
31-12-2009, 11:02 AM
You haven't by any chance been playing in disk manager and changed your disks from Basic to Dynamic & merged them into one partition?

angry
03-01-2010, 12:25 AM
what is/was the end result in this this one, it was/is interesting and seems to have been left hanging.

??????????:confused: