PDA

View Full Version : urgent help needed--after installation of watercooling.thanks

powerover
28-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi there guys,

I have just installed a homemade water cooling system on my PC, and now it is not functioning...:crying

I took the whole PC apart when installing it, so I double checked all the power connectors and all the other stuff, they are all hooking up properly I think.

there is no leaks that I can tell from my homemade cooling solution.

when I power on the PC, everything runs, graphic card, etc..BUT it is not giving me a display (I did double check all the connectors). I also found that there is NO POWER going through all the USB ports.

I reseted the CMOS, didn't help.

did I just fry my mobo and CPU? if not what is wrong? and how can i fix it?

Cheers guys, thanks heaps

fred_fish
28-12-2009, 09:39 AM
:lol: I think I just cracked a rib.

wainuitech
28-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Strip the components out, assemble them on the bench - see if it fires up, if not put every thing back to stock standard, including making sure the power to the Graphic card is plugged in (if it has a power plug) - see what happens, if there is still no life you could have fried your motherboard. Very easy to do if you are not careful.

Also what safety precautions did you take when "fiddling" with the components.

powerover
28-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Also what safety precautions did you take when "fiddling" with the components.

there is no safety precautions...i never take any...i was sitting on the carpet last night with ram sticks, graphic cards and everything all over the floor.....shouldn't have done that...

I am stripping everything out and putting it all bck together again, and c if it works...

is the worst case frying my mobo? what about the CPU and graphics card? I didn't fry them right? it is pretty hard to fry them right?

thanks heaps

powerover
28-12-2009, 10:04 AM
:lol: I think I just cracked a rib.

Hi there fred Im not sure if I understand what you mean.

Sam I Am
28-12-2009, 10:12 AM
there is no safety precautions...i never take any...i was sitting on the carpet last night with ram sticks, graphic cards and everything all over the floor.....shouldn't have done that...

I am stripping everything out and putting it all bck together again, and c if it works...

is the worst case frying my mobo? what about the CPU and graphics card? I didn't fry them right? it is pretty hard to fry them right?

thanks heaps

Odds are you have fried something by having the components on the carpet. Static electrickery is not your friend.

powerover
28-12-2009, 10:15 AM
true that......should I have a wrist band to ground myself or somehing? what sort of safety precautions are we taking about?

fred_fish
28-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Could you post some photo's?

I'm having trouble getting past the mental image of a garden hose in the front drive bay.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I wouldnt put computer parts on a carpet. Thats a big no-no

powerover
28-12-2009, 10:38 AM
:crying[QUOTE=wainuitech;853598]Strip the components out, assemble them on the bench - see if it fires up, if not put every thing back to stock standard, including making sure the power to the Graphic card is plugged in (if it has a power plug) - see what happens, if there is still no life you could have fried your motherboard. Very easy to do if you are not careful.
QUOTE]

just did what you told...no life....also i just remembered that usually during start up process the graphics card fan goes on to 100% speed then slows down after a few seconds, but now it stays on 100% speed.....also i just found out that pusing the reset buttom wnt reset the computer, but makes the HDD light stays on for a while, then nothing happens........

still the same verdict? fried mobo?? :dogeye: :crying

powerover
28-12-2009, 10:40 AM

I'm having trouble getting past the mental image of a garden hose in the front drive bay.

um....i c....will put some pics up soon....I did use some fairly large (12.5mm) hoses.....but you will be surprised, because Im a pro, everything is CNC machined.. :D

how do i put pics on again? can you give us the link?

Sam I Am
28-12-2009, 10:41 AM
true that......should I have a wrist band to ground myself or somehing? what sort of safety precautions are we taking about?

Well that's open to debate however the basic precaution is not to put any static sensitive equipment ie your computer innards near an electrostatic generator ie your carpet.

Precautions I take are to have a couple of anti static bags on the bench. Touch only the PCB of components and if I'm feeling particularly cautious I have the PC plugged in with the power supply turned off and ground myself on the case. Not sure about the safety of the last one when you have the garden hose running into the case. On that note, did you use distilled water?

Sam I Am
28-12-2009, 10:43 AM
:crying[QUOTE=wainuitech;853598]Strip the components out, assemble them on the bench - see if it fires up, if not put every thing back to stock standard, including making sure the power to the Graphic card is plugged in (if it has a power plug) - see what happens, if there is still no life you could have fried your motherboard. Very easy to do if you are not careful.
QUOTE]

just did what you told...no life....also i just remembered that usually during start up process the graphics card fan goes on to 100% speed then slows down after a few seconds, but now it stays on 100% speed.....also i just found out that pusing the reset buttom wnt reset the computer, but makes the HDD light stays on for a while, then nothing happens........

still the same verdict? fried mobo?? :dogeye: :crying

Try taking the ram out and starting it up. You should get a ram alarm beep.

wainuitech
Odds are you have fried something by having the components on the carpet. Static electrickery is not your friend. Thats the whole point / reasoning regarding my question about safety -- :thumbs:

Carpet and electronic parts dont go hand in hand. EVEN with a wrist band.

I'm having trouble getting past the mental image of a garden hose in the front drive bay. :lol: Buggger you sam :p got the giggles now

Atomic Magazine, November 09 ( page 78) has a good article on how to build a watercooled PC, goes through the whole process, from the CPU cooler, pump, reservoir, Radiator, how to fill and bleed the system - the lot

Speedy Gonzales
um....i c....will put some pics up soon....I did use some fairly large (12.5mm) hoses.....but you will be surprised, because Im a pro, everything is CNC machined.. :D

how do i put pics on again? can you give us the link?

Either here (www.imagef1.net.nz) or click on manage attachments below (when you reply). But you'll have to crop the pics if theyre big

Sam I Am
28-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Either here (www.imagef1.net.nz) or click on manage attachments below (when you reply). But you'll have to crop the pics if theyre big

If you hose the images down and let them dry in the sun then they will shrink.

KarameaDave
28-12-2009, 01:56 PM
If you hose the images down and let them dry in the sun then they will shrink.:lol:

powerover
29-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Atomic Magazine, November 09 ( page 78) has a good article on how to build a watercooled PC, goes through the whole process, from the CPU cooler, pump, reservoir, Radiator, how to fill and bleed the system - the lot

where can I get that? is there a online version? :P

powerover
29-12-2009, 07:49 AM
the xfx support is asking me if I am sure that there is no taint on the components to keep it from making a good contact with the mobo....what the.......

powerover
29-12-2009, 07:51 AM
On that note, did you use distilled water?

no, i didn't...just tap water mixed with concentrated coolant....y?

plod
29-12-2009, 07:58 AM
where can I get that? is there a online version? :P

Not sure if this is it (http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=19547)

powerover
29-12-2009, 08:20 AM
here guys, links to the pics:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/100_1907.jpg

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/100_1908.jpg

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/100_1909.jpg

any obvious wrong doing you guys can c?

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Well the CPU fan isnt connected. Did you plug it in after you pulled it to bits?

Sam I Am
29-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Now there's a point. Can you get to the BIOS? if not, try pugging in the cpu fan. The motherboard may be noticing that its not there.

In pic 3, the ram isn't fitted correctly and needs to be pressed home.

powerover
29-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Well the CPU fan isnt connected. Did you plug it in after you pulled it to bits?

I thought I dnt need the cpu fan anymore so I didn't plug it in...I did in the first time.

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 08:38 AM
2 things that HAVE to be plugged in for a system to turn on. The CPU fan and the ATX 12v adapter. If one or the other isnt connected, it wont turn on. Is that what the Nvidia fan on the mobo is (its on the CPU)??

powerover
29-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Now there's a point. Can you get to the BIOS? if not, try pugging in the cpu fan. The motherboard may be noticing that its not there.

In pic 3, the ram isn't fitted correctly and needs to be pressed home.

um...I don't know if i can get into the BIOS, there is no display comming out of my graphic card :(....and I checked the ram, they are in properly now (im pretty sure they are in properly in the pic as well)..

any ideas?

thanks sam

powerover
29-12-2009, 08:42 AM
2 things that HAVE to be plugged in for a system to turn on. The CPU fan and the ATX 12v adapter. If one or the other isnt connected, it wont turn on

pluged the fan in, and the ATX 12V connector, same story as before, everything fires up, but no display....no power comming out of all the usb ports either. :(

thanks speedy.

Sam I Am
29-12-2009, 08:42 AM
I thought I dnt need the cpu fan anymore so I didn't plug it in...I did in the first time.

So have you tried as speedy say's and plugged it in?

whups my bad. I see you have

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Stupid question but is the on/off switch on the back on lol. If its got one? Try removing the CMOS jumper for about a min, (turn it off first) then put it back on. Then see what happens

powerover
29-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Stupid question but is the on/off switch on the back on lol. If its got one? Try removing the CMOS jumper for about a min, (turn it off first) then put it back on. Then see what happens

what on/off switch?

I also tryed the CMOS reset jumper thing, didn't work... :(

thanks speedy

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 08:53 AM
On the back of the case. An on/off switch. Some PSU's do have them. Is the power connected to the hdd's / cd/dvd's??

powerover
29-12-2009, 09:11 AM
On the back of the case. An on/off switch. Some PSU's do have them. Is the power connected to the hdd's / cd/dvd's??

oh...that switch is on.....how can i turn on the PC if that is off.. :D

and yeah, power to everything.......

so the conclusion is??

thanks speedy

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Whats the mobo?? Its not the one in your sig is it? And whats the PSU. Whats the thing on the desk, with the 2 fans on top of it? The hdd? Whats it connected to?? Where's the molex connector going ??

powerover
29-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Whats the mobo?? Its not the one in your sig is it? And whats the PSU. Whats the thing on the desk, with the 2 fans on top of it? The hdd? Whats it connected to?? Where's the molex connector going ??

mobo is the one in my sig...... :cry:

the thing in the desk, is the 240 radiator, it works with the 120 radiator you c at the bottom on the case....the molex is going to the fans on the radiators.

thanks speedy

pctek
29-12-2009, 10:31 AM
there is no safety precautions...i never take any...i was sitting on the carpet last night with ram sticks, graphic cards and everything all over the floor.....

is the worst case frying my mobo?

No.

Worst case is you killed the lot.

Zippity
29-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Does "Senior Member" relate to age, or length or membership here on pressf1? :) :)

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Try some of the replies here (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246303-30-nforce-680i-posts-display-bootup). Is the Blue LED on the mobo on?

powerover
29-12-2009, 10:50 AM
No.

Worst case is you killed the lot.

...:dogeye:...thanks :crying

powerover
29-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Try some of the replies here (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246303-30-nforce-680i-posts-display-bootup). Is the Blue LED on the mobo on?

yes, the blue is on, same with the green and yellow LED.

thanks speedy

powerover
29-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Does "Senior Member" relate to age, or length or membership here on pressf1? :) :)

that is a good Q zippity.....i dnt have a clue how it works either.. :P

wainuitech
29-12-2009, 11:11 AM
when I power on the PC, everything runs, graphic card, etc..BUT it is not giving me a display (I did double check all the connectors). I also found that there is NO POWER going through all the USB ports. I was gonna ask yesterday but got side tracked -- when you stripped everything out and you said it was assembled on the bench, was it with the watercooling setup or a standard CPU cooling fan. ??

The reason for asking is since there appears to be two problems, the Graphic Card not displaying & USB ports not working.

There could be something short circuiting on the board. Weather it be the attachment plate for the water cooler (CPU) or something touching the circuit tracks under the board. OR worse case damaged circuit tracks under the board.

If it was taken back to a stock CPU cooler and sitting on a bench/Table this will eliminate any metal touching within the case. You dont need HDDS, optical Drives attached as these are not required to get a image Via the graphic card on the screen.

powerover
29-12-2009, 11:16 AM

tryed their method of "pulling 1 ram out, boot, then put in the other", didn't work... :(

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2009, 11:19 AM
yes, the blue is on, same with the green and yellow LED.

thanks speedy

Whats the green and yellow LED do?? Whats the manual say. Should both be on or off?

powerover
29-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I was gonna ask yesterday but got side tracked -- when you stripped everything out and you said it was assembled on the bench, was it with the watercooling setup or a standard CPU cooling fan. ??

The reason for asking is since there appears to be two problems, the Graphic Card not displaying & USB ports not working.

There could be something short circuiting on the board. Weather it be the attachment plate for the water cooler (CPU) or something touching the circuit tracks under the board. OR worse case damaged circuit tracks under the board.

If it was taken back to a stock CPU cooler and sitting on a bench/Table this will eliminate any metal touching within the case. You dont need HDDS, optical Drives attached as these are not required to get a image Via the graphic card on the screen.

that is a good question too :D

I had a alluminium back support plate to help hold the huge water block in place, but inbetween the plate and the mobo i have a thick layer of bubble foam.....

and I tryed both with the stock cooler and the homemade one, same result....

I have just remembered, when mum's mobo blow up on me, the HDD light stays on....now my mobo is doing the same on me.

im off to my friends place to try my graphics card and ram, will report back asap.

thanks for the help guys. :D

pctek
29-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I had a alluminium back support plate to help hold the huge water block in place, but inbetween the plate and the mobo i have a thick layer of bubble foam.....

I'd say you have already killed the motherboard if not the CPU as well

Next time, do it properly, either a bought watercooler or standard air cooling.

feersumendjinn
29-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Ditto, I'd say you've either shorted the motherboard or cracked/broken it when tightening up this abortion.

powerover
29-12-2009, 06:17 PM
just came back from my friends place, both graphics card and ram sticks are working properly, so my mobo is gone then... :crying...