PDA

View Full Version : Network nightmare

ollieogg
27-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi all,
I am currently staying with my daughter for a holiday and wanted to be able to connect to her broadband. She has wireless broadband and my computer can see her but will not connect to it without the passphrase. Sadly she doesn;t remember what it is and to top it all off she got a friend of a friend to make it a secure network which requires a passphrase this person cannot remember what it is either. Is there a way to retrieve the username and password and also the passphrase? We have tried holding the reset button on the router but still doesnt work. We even went in to Dick Smiths today to see if they had any ideas as the router is DSE house brand. The guy there gave us a list of ip addresses to try 192.168.0.2 made a login window appear but we couldnt find a password and username that worked. We tried Administrator and no passoword and we tried administrator with administrator as password. My daughters flat mate can still connect to the internet and the ipod touch still works. Dear God someone tell me how to sort this mess out and get everyone back on the net.:crying Thank you for any/all help but please could instructions please be simple as I don't understand the geek speak.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 09:17 PM
So you want the password to get into the router?? Have you tried admin / admin?

ollieogg
27-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Speedy we tried that and still no joy.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Umm if the password is on the Ipod, cant she see what it is?

ollieogg
27-12-2009, 09:31 PM
No speedy there is nothing like that on the ipod. Cassie said when she got her ipod is just asked for her passphrase and she put it in and away it went. She has no idea what it is now :( I am currently using her flatmates laptop to talk to you. Is there anywhere on here where the passphrase would be stored?

nedkelly
27-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a program that I use (but cant say name here) that gives me all my stored passwords for wireless networks on my laptop

ollieogg
27-12-2009, 09:40 PM
How does that help me? :(

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Is it the WEP/WPA key youre talking about?? What version of windows is she using?

nedkelly
27-12-2009, 09:47 PM
It tells you that there are programs out there that can recover wireless keys

ollieogg
27-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Cassies laptop is Vista and this one I am using is Vista also. it is a passphrase which allows others to use her internet.

ollieogg
27-12-2009, 10:03 PM
thank you Speedy and thank you too nedkelly. I got what you meant after you clarified it. I dl a programme that did fixed it. PHEW.. I am up here in Blenheim till Wednesday and I don't think I could last that long without my laptop and Cassie was suffering withdrawal symptoms. Thanks Guys you are awesome :)

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Sweet. good you got it sorted :)

wainuitech
27-12-2009, 11:20 PM
For future reference - Nirsofts, wireless (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html) will tell you what the password is - and before any one says its hacking its not -- you can't scan for networks and get passwords, you have to be connected to the network in the first place - so at some stage the password would have to have been entered, so the password is already on the PC/Laptop thats the one thats used..

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Yup Ive got that program. I didnt know if that was the prob or not. But it sounds like it is / was

plod
28-12-2009, 07:57 AM