PDA

View Full Version : Failed Motherboard or CPU?

gza
27-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi guys. Heres looking forward to a happy new year for you and me too.

I have a problem with a HP Pavilion 8835 and my Compaq Presario S3010AN. Problem the same with bpth computers (now). I'll deal with the HP Pavilion 8835 first.
When booting computer there's no signal to monitor ( LED stays orange), keyboard NUM key LED not turn on, Optical mouse not light up.
CPU and PSU fans spin. The PSU in the Pavilion is two months old and the computer was working three days ago. CMOS Battery is good as new.
I have read the thread here..( and a couple others too)
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=103629&highlight=faulty+motherboard
and gone through all the stripping down inside the computer to bare essentials and find that there is no beeping when the RAM is removed.( or still in the computer)
What I also did was to remove the CPU fan and heat sink, to see if the CPU was warm, and also to see if the computer shut down with the heaysink/fan removed, best of my knowledge is that if the CPU fan fails then the computer shuts down to prevent the CPU from being damaged from overheating.
Anyway, the CPU was cold throughout.
I changed the PSU's from the Pavilion and my Presario and still there was no change in the 'no bootup' of the Pavilion machine. My Presario worked well with the either PSU.
This machine is using the onboard graphics output to connect to the monitor.
I can't do a check of the Pavilions' RAM by swapping between the two computers because the Pavilion is SDRAM and my Presario is DDR SDRAM.
Thats about it for the Pavilion, the Q is Motherboard or CPU?

Now for my Presario, worked like a charm until I'd finished stripping it out and ridding it of dust in all departments, all fans, PSU,CPU, GPU. Put it all back together, powered up and after about 10 seconds in which the monitor keyboard and mouse lights all did what they meant to do, I get a blank on all of them. Rebooted, monitor light changed from orange to green, then faded out completely. And thats it now, unusable. No beeps when RAM removed, CPU does get warm, lights at the Ethernet input and on the HDD activity light, no green LED light indicating the computer is 'on'.
I'm using a Radeon 9000S video card which is getting power because the GPU fan spins.

So that is it now, two coms, virtually same prob symtoms and both won't boot up and open. In my com I think that as the CPU gets warm then the MoBo is getting power supplied to it, as for the Pavilion, CPU is cold.
Any ideas appreciated thanks.
I'm submitting this on flatmates computer at moment, cos I ain't got a blimmin com that'll boot up. Hope it ain't gonna be 'Boot Hill'
I'll come back for a look later today and tomorrow. Probably today in an hour.
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 09:02 PM
What kind of CPU do both of them use?? If they use an ATX 12v adapter, is this plugged in? And is the CPU 3 pin connector plugged in on both?

PENTIUM
28-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you put the cpu into the wrong position. Hope the pins are not damaged.

gza
28-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi guys, sorry about the lack of information yesterday so here it is now.
The HP Pavilion tech specs are here if you want them
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06337&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=58288
but basically the CPU in this machine is Intel Celeron 766MHz ( PGA 370 socket)
The new PSU is a MEC ATX 350
Last night, to check the RAM I took out the 128MB PC100 SDRAM and fitted it with 256MB of PC133 SDRAM that I had stored away. This didn't make any difference. The computer still will not turn on and open to POST.
This machine is meticulously clean inside and I didn't do anything to it apart from changing the RAM and swapping the PSU with the one from my computer.
APart from the fact that the PSU is the one that came with the macine and that the 256MB of PC133 RAM is installed,there's no change today, still no open up to post.
The landlord bought this computer over for one of the tenants who is using his other one ( this one I am on now: Compaq Presario S5010AN) as he'd like his com back. He said that it ( the HP Pavilion 8835) was working perfectly 3 days ago. I'm now wondering if its a problem with the power switch, but I won't diverge to that here.
The landlord said that he has another MoBo that he'll bring over, but it uses DDR1 RAM.
See if get this one working again, first.
HDD is IDE ATA 80GB Seagate running(?) XP HOEM SP3
.................................................. ..................................
The Compaq Presario S3010AN. My computer
Mobo: AM37 ( FIC KM266-8325)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.67GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
PSU: Bestec ATX 250
XP Pro SP3

This machine is bugging me now, the monitor has decided to show a green power light, and it stays green even with the computer turned off. But it is now diaplaying the " No Signal" that usually shows if the monitor is not plugged into the computer or connector cable is faulty......no signal to monitor.
I am using the Radeon 9000S graphics card and its working fine, I have it running in this computer now.
I connected the monitor to the onboard graphics outlet to na avail; hardly surprising as its never worked!! I don't think the computer isn't set up to use it.
As for the monitor I am using at moment, it is working fine, tried it on this computer.
As for the beeps I said that I wasn't getting with the RAM either installed or not, today I am getting 2 beeps if I remove the RAM.
But nothing coming to the monitor.
???????????????

As for the ATX power connectors, yes, both machines have them plugged into the proper socket on the MoBo's.
I didn't remove the CPU from the Pavilion or the Presario when I cleaned it. However, last night I did remove the CPU from the Presario and looed at it from the pin side, there seems to be a dark spot on it. where the chip is. Apart from that, it is now back in its socket, seated correctly.
I was concious of static dangers and didn't touch the pins or anything, just handled the CPU by its edges.
The mouse is lighting up as it should, but the keyboard still shows no green light on Numlock when computer is turned on. The mouse is USB and I have a USB/PS2 adaptor and have tried it in both USB and PS2 inputs. No wanna light up for me.
So, now, I figure that my Presario is running, but there's no signal being sent to monitor, Graphics card, monitor, PSU, RAM, Mouse all good....I know the 2 HDD's I have are all good. But I'm stumped.
I have been to the HP customer support on the net and looked up trouble shooting for these computers problems, but I can't find anything to try that I haven't already attempted.
Now, I'll put it back to you guys and hope the extra information supplied can get things back to normal.
My Presario is a pain most times, seems troublesome, but why it has gone out like it has beats me.
Oh Speedy, neither of the two computers have a 3pin connector, apart from the 3 pin connector that connects the CPU fan to the MoBo, and that is connected correctly on both computers.
Thats it. I'll let my flatmate get back to enjoying his computer. I will definately be back here before7pm for updates.
Cheers
gza

B.M.
28-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Gaza I sympathise with you.

Iíve had two computers with almost identical problems and both times itís turned out to be the Motherboard. In both cases I think it was the BIOS but changing the BIOS without changing the Motherboard is out of my league and a few others too I dare say. ;)

Just something possibly worth checking, is make sure there is a speaker connected to the Motherboard so if the BIOS is trying to tell you something it can.

However, if both computers always beeped at start-up previously ignore the above.

I was ďluckyĒ :rolleyes: in that both computers were socket 478 Motherboards and when I managed to get another off Trade Me I was able to swap CPUís, RAM, PSUís, etc to confirm it was the Motherboard in both cases.

Good luck.

gza
28-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Memories come back to haunt me: I think I have fried the AMD Athlon XP2000+ CPU that is installed in my Compaq Presario S3010AN. Someone tell me if I'm wrong or if I'm right. Here's the reason for my thought:
The last thing that I did when I was putting my com back together was to fit the CPU heatsink and re-attached fan atop the the CPU and clip it into place; I had applied a smear of thermal paste to the underside of the heat sink.
The heatsink has a rebated edge on one side of its base and the A 462 socket that holds the CPU has an elevated edge on one side. These two edges are meant to go together, like hand in glove. I did it wrong and the sockets High side was on the high side of the heatsinks base.The rebated edge on the heatsink was effectively in the air. Would I be correct to say that there was nil or little contact between the heatsink and the CPU chip?
I think so.
When I first started the com after the cleanup it did boot open and the BIOS Diagnostic display came on screen and halted at 'Main Processor" for about 5 to 10 seconds. Then the com shut down.
Restarted it and the monitor light changed from orange to green for a couple of seconds and faded out.
Then I wondered what was going on. Removed the CPU heatsink/fan and realised that i had put it back in place 180deg. out of place. Corrected the error, but alas, I think its too late for that to be effective.
This recall of events has just returned to me.
So, have I fried the CPU, does a fried CPU cause the monitor to have no connection to the graphics card and cause the keyboard num lock light not to turn green????
The AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU is good as obsolete now and hard to find. I tried a couple years ago to get new, faster A462 CPU to upgrade to but couldn't. There is an used
AMD 2200 Sempron ( 2GHz effective 1.5GHz) that is available, and if needs be then I will buy it and make sure that I get the heatsink in the right place when I fit it.
I'd like to be wrong in my guess but I don't think I am.

As for the HP Pavilion, well thats a wart but I'm still interested in opinions and possible causes for its failure to kick into life.

Cheers
gza
Sorry B.M, I didn't see your reply until i posted this embarrassing admission of incompetance of mine.
There is a small speaker in the computers that gives off the beep-beeps, thanks.
Unfortunately, I can't swap CPU's or RAM between the 2 computers, but what the heck, if I've fried the Athlon 2000+ I've got egg on face.
All good : (......live and learn.
Thanks for your reply.....gza

KarameaDave
28-12-2009, 10:00 PM
33 for sale on TM
your choice, good luck

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=0002-0359-0204-1314-&searchString=462&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=0&generalSearch_suggested=0

gza
28-12-2009, 11:26 PM
KarameaDave, I just been looking an TM, there's heaps. Picked out one, a AMD 2400 1.67GHz, just spent the last hour plus trying to set up an account with TM and almost impossible from this computer I'm using. NO blimmin yahoo messenger on it, msn is the old hotmail, and as I've gat a windowslive ID I can't get the mail to open in this old msn. Opens Outlook Express and I can't access windowslive mail from it. Have to create an account and do a hell of a lot of setting up and putting in POP3 stuff and then setting up God knows what else......I give up.
Going to the Internet cafe tomorrow and connect to either my yahoo or windowslive messenger service and buy one of the A 462 CPU's available.
Ha, theres an AMD XP3000 on TM, runs at 2.1GHz, that'll fit but it's $88. Nice but I think a waste of money as I intend to build a com using the following:

KarameaDave, I just been looking an TM, there's heaps. Picked out one, a AMD 2400 1.67GHz, just spent the last hour plus trying to set up an account with TM and almost impossible from this computer I'm using. NO blimmin yahoo messenger on it, msn is the old hotmail, and as I've gat a windowslive ID I can't get the mail to open in this old msn. Opens Outlook Express and I can't access windowslive mail from it. Have to create an account and do a hell of a lot of setting up and putting in POP3 stuff and then setting up God knows what else......I give up.
Going to the Internet cafe tomorrow and connect to either my yahoo or windowslive messenger service and buy one of the A 462 CPU's available.
Ha, theres an AMD XP3000 on TM, runs at 2.1GHz, that'll fit but it's $88. Nice but I think a waste of money as I intend to build a com using the following:-

GIGABYTE MA785GT-UD3H ( CPUAMD9925
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 925 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W
($209.00 +gst)as the backbone and then one of these CPU's, most likely the one at top of the list

CPUAMD9925
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 925 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W $209.00 +gst

AMD Phenom II Triple Core 720 AM3 + Socket /DDR3 PIB CPU $175.00 +gst

CPUAMD9950
AMD PHENOM X4 9950 BLACK EDITION QUAD CORE 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ CPU $179.00 +gst

CPUAMD9955
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Black Edition $249.00 +gst

CPUAMD9965
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Black Edition
(all from PB Tecnologies, Auckland, NZ)

4GB RAM, Minimum 500Watt PSU,Graphics card undecided.

But that's early next year. For now, I'll get the COmpaq back up and running.

Thanks for your input.
gza

gza
29-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, I've just put a bid on TM for an AMD Sempron 2400 (1.67GHz; Socket A462). $25.00,see how it goes and there's quite a few more A462 socket CPU's available to choose from. With any luck I expect to have the Compaq Presario S3010AN working again by the weekend.
As for the HP Pavilion 8835: tried it again today, here's the breakdown of the facts on it:
Won't boot open into Windows, CPU fan spins, HDD spins up and runs, ATX and CPU fan power supply cables connected. No signal to monitor when com powered on and monitor shows the Green LED and a "No signal" notice on screen with the monitor either connected or not to the computer motherboard integrated graphics outlet. Monitor displays the no signal on screen message when connected to a working computer here but works well when the com is turned on. I can't test the output using the Radeon 9000S card I have as it is AGP and the Pavilion 8835 graphics are onboard or PCI slot.I've put the Radeon card into this computer I'm using now ( a Compaq Presario S5010AN) and am running any ane af three monitors from it.
The keyboard LED at Num lock does not light up when keyboard is connected to either the USB2 or PS2 ports.
No beeps when RAM installed but remove the RAM and get a beep sequence of 1-3-3-1. I haven't as yet tried to find out what this beep sequence refers too, but its probably telling that the RAM is missing or faulty.
I have no idea what is the problem with it. I can't test the CPU in any other computer here, or test the motherboard with a different CPU.
Hmmmmmmm..............

KarameaDave
29-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Link to HP desktop beep codes

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07107

pablo d
29-12-2009, 02:23 PM
i'd put my money on dead mobo. hp don't exactly use top quality stuff in their builds, but at least the CPU was built by professionals :p

the old athlons had built-in thermal protection (although it had to be supported by the motherboard), even so i wouldn't expect it to fry itself during bootup without a properly mounted heatsink.

gza
30-12-2009, 10:29 PM
i'd put my money on dead mobo. hp don't exactly use top quality stuff in their builds, but at least the CPU was built by professionals :p

the old athlons had built-in thermal protection (although it had to be supported by the motherboard), even so i wouldn't expect it to fry itself during bootup without a properly mounted heatsink.

Pablo, thanks. I agree totally.
I've been googeling and find multitudinous scenario etc. Your mention of built in thermal protection interests me, I did find a mention on a site that did say that there is a heat sensing blue diode on theMoBo directly beneath the CPU socket that is meant to cut off (kill) the power supply and, I guess, preserve the CPU and...hmmm....the MoBo. My money's on the chip.
Anyway, I know (?) that the CPU is stuffed. Tried it in 3 machines that take the A462 chip..result = blankety-blank.
The new Mobo the landlord was bringing for the the Pavilion JUST happened to be an AM37 running a AMD Duron...?...?..1.6 something.
Sheets get changed and sheets happen
Installed ( the landlord did )the full AM37 MoBo and CPU to the Pavilion 8835 and booted it. Christmas come late( 'appens down here in Invercargill...the Beatles have just come on air after The Thor)......full go-go.
Beauty ...mate...for three hours the 8835 lay on its side on a table in me bedroom. Then it was moved to flatemates room, put on a desk there ( the com laying on its side as it was when it was picked up).........then I went and removed the Radeon 9000S graphics card, stood the com-box on its base and went away.
All good,,,for half hour
Flatemate goes to play Fate: The Traitor Soul :clap....
hears a click..... com shuts down, reboot.....Jack ShiverMe Timbres.
SFA on screen
The bloodless heatsink had not been affixed properly( it had cos it 'adn't bin remooved in this 'ouse) and it had come 'adrift'
One stuffed pigeon
.................................................. ...................
Me?.. I just bought a MSI KT4VA and an AMD Athlon XP2400 from TradeMe. $15.00 and $24.00 respectively, +p&p
Life goes on my friend.
gza

KarameaDave
30-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Bugger:badpc:

gza
30-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Can't edit now but the piece about the 8835 being moved to flatemates room......it had been running beautifully in my room for two hours; and for close enough to an hour in his when it was moved there... before he went to play the game on it
as said......life goes on................................................ ......ciao for now

HMmm!!

gza
30-12-2009, 11:18 PM
KarameaDave
Ditto
: )