PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get anything good at the HN sale?

xyz823
27-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I got a small DVD player with DivX playback because my home theater doesn't :( I wanted to get one of those HP Minis for $288 but they sold out in minutes. Also was going to get that 1TB HDD for $136 but that was also sold out :(

wainuitech
27-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Yep new 6 burner BBQ.

prefect
27-12-2009, 08:08 PM
You would be able to host half of Wainuimata for a bbq now wainui with a barbie that big.

R2x1
27-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I got to stay away, pretty satisfying by and large.

R2x1
27-12-2009, 08:10 PM
You would be able to host half of Wainuimata for a bbq now wainui with a barbie that big.
The other half will be passing gas bottles ;)

Cicero
27-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I went into get a GPS,they had sold out so bought one from Super Cheap instead

beeswax34
27-12-2009, 08:32 PM
New fridge- yay?

Metla
27-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I went in to look at 50" Plasma TV's, Was the sale all the junk they had in the bins?

Didn't take any notice, and their TV's weren't very well priced.

Not that I have a hope in hell of buying one, just filling in time.

Cicero
27-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I went in to look at 50" Plasma TV's, Was the sale all the junk they had in the bins?

Didn't take any notice, and their TV's weren't very well priced.

Not that I have a hope in hell of buying one, just filling in time.

Plus led lcd is the way to go,so they say.

Metla
27-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Yep, They stuck out like dogs balls, stunning televisions, And stunning price. :badpc:

Also called into Noel Leemings and had a chat, Quite impressed with the info I was given, The lad either knew his stuff inside,outside and backwards or had me completely fooled.

Metla
27-12-2009, 08:51 PM
And while I'm on the subject of televisions, how the hell do they get off labeling a TV as HD Ready?, I know what they are using it to say, But that's not what it means. The God damn TV is either HD or its not, If its not then calling it HD ready is just a piss poor excuse to put HD in the description.

For the record, Harvey Norman salespersons are not interested in my views on marketing something as HD ready.

Anyway, after that I drove home in my Le Mans ready Hilux....

Cicero
27-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Yep, They stuck out like dogs balls, stunning televisions, And stunning price. :badpc:

Also called into Noel Leemings and had a chat, Quite impressed with the info I was given, The lad either knew his stuff inside,outside and backwards or had me completely fooled.

I find if I say I will wait till next year,where they will have improved out of sight,that seems to ease the pain of not buying now.

Metla
27-12-2009, 09:21 PM
As I left I told the salesman I would go home and run it past the wife, Just so he would know there was to be no sale :stare:.

Funny enough I did run it past the wife, She pointed out that we had a perfectly fine 32" LCD that wasn't even 2 years old, that I never ever even watch TV, and I have a full home theater that only I use for watching DVD's. Also, we couldn't afford it.

I told her that attitude is exactly why I don't take her shopping for new televisions.

Cicero
27-12-2009, 09:39 PM
As I left I told the salesman I would go home and run it past the wife, Just so he would know there was to be no sale :stare:.

Funny enough I did run it past the wife, She pointed out that we had a perfectly fine 32" LCD that wasn't even 2 years old, that I never ever even watch TV, and I have a full home theatre that only I use for watching DVDs. Also, we couldn't afford it.

I told her that attitude is exactly why I don't take her shopping for new televisions.

Which goes to show there is no pleasing women,it was sickening the response after all you effort.

plod
27-12-2009, 09:45 PM
And while I'm on the subject of televisions, how the hell do they get off labeling a TV as HD Ready?, I know what they are using it to say, But that's not what it means. The God damn TV is either HD or its not, If its not then calling it HD ready is just a piss poor excuse to put HD in the description.

For the record, Harvey Norman salespersons are not interested in my views on marketing something as HD ready.

Anyway, after that I drove home in my Le Mans ready Hilux....

Info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready)
Big difference between full Hd and Hd ready

Metla
27-12-2009, 09:47 PM
I know what it means, It means you can plug a high definition feed into a screen that will display it at a lower resolution, Hence, Its ready for your spanky new Blu-Ray player or HD video game system.

Its a rort.

Now I'll click your link and see whats at the other end.

wainuitech
27-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Which goes to show there is no pleasing women,it was sickening the response after all you effort.:lol: SWMBO was the opposite today --I was looking at some of the 42" TV's, the picture clarity was great :drool and was an LCD as well, the LED beside it was better, but I would have been happy with the LCD -- She said you want it you buy it -- Errrrr no money :crying -- kind of stuffed that Idea -- and her loving :wub reply -- better start saving then hadn't you.

Metla
27-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Dick Smith have some excellent prices on Panasonic televisions, a 42" Full HD LCD with intergrated freeview tuner for $1250, or a 50" Plasma for $2500

Me thinks a trip to the big outlet in Palmy maybe in order.

Cicero
27-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Dick Smith have some excellent prices on Panasonic televisions, a 42" Full HD LCD with intergrated freeview tuner for $1250, or a 50" Plasma for $2500

Glad things have improved enough for you to now consider a FULL HD telly.

Was tough for a while there.

johcar
28-12-2009, 12:12 AM

Check out the Appliance Shed, if you have them down your way. Good prices on many name brands...

Strommer
28-12-2009, 08:02 AM

:mad: %#$X! you Mets. I finally convinced myself not to look and dream about getting a 42" LCD - until I read your post. :lol: Now I will have go all of two blocks down to DSE and battle the urge not to slap the credit card down at the check out, even in spite of SWMBO freaking.

All this year I have been looking, researching, and dreaming about a big LCD. At the risk of feeding the trolls, this is what I have found, based on my personal perceptions:

>> At a normal home viewing distance, there is no noticeable difference between Full HD and HD Ready. Many times I have compared Full vs Ready screens that are side-by-side, showing Blu Ray. Up close only sometimes I can see a difference, but not much. At around 3 meters there is no difference. Yes, my eyesight is good. I have read an online tech article that says the same thing (no diff at normal home viewing distance). But here is the thing: Being a PF1 geek, I would still *want* to get Full HD just because it would make me feel better, especially when telling :p my friends what sort of screen it is.

>> LCD looks better than plasma. 9 out of 10 times I can pick out the LCD's from where I enter the store, and that is not taking in the fact that most all plasmas have a bad reflection problem (at home we have a large window area opposite the telly).

>> LED screens are brighter, more vivid, but not all the time as it depends on what the movie or program is on at the time. When I win Lotto I will get a big LED screen.

>> Motion / sports. 100 Hz or more is supposed to be better, otherwise the motion appears jerky. Sometimes I can in fact see the difference but for 99% of viewing I think the cheaper, lower Hz screens would be just fine. But if I could find a 100 Hz screen for not much more $$, I would get it.

>> Contrast ratios. Have not come to a conclusion about this since most store displays do not list the contrast specs of each screen. Metla's $1250 Panasonic has only a 20,000:1 Contrast Ratio, whereas the next expensive Panasonic ($1600) at DSE has "2,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast (Native 30,000:1)". Is this 20,000 vs 30,000, and could we notice a difference?

>> Sony's may be the best, but imo overpriced. Nothing new here.

prefect
28-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Big prob with LED tv is they gobble power like a plasma tv.

plod
28-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Big prob with LED tv is they gobble power like a plasma tv.

That is true if its local dimming led , not true if it edge lit led, they use less power then a conventional lcd.

prefect
28-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Ok didnt know that plod. Bugger I said to my wife I will buy a large screen tv when the LED LCD TV uses the same power as a normal LCD TV.
Didnt know there were 2 types, lucky I am not a man of my word I wont tell her.

pctek
28-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Funny enough I did run it past the wife, She pointed out that we had a perfectly fine 32" LCD that wasn't even 2 years old, that I never ever even watch TV, and I have a full home theater that only I use for watching DVD's. Also, we couldn't afford it.

Funny, I got that same response when I suggested to husband we go buy a cheap interest free LCD.

He said there was nothing wrong with our CRT and besides we couldn't afford it.

He was right though. What the hell, I'll wait for the 60" OLEDs......:lol:

prefect
28-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Funny, I got that same response when I suggested to husband we go buy a cheap interest free LCD.

He said there was nothing wrong with our CRT and besides we couldn't afford it.

He was right though. What the hell, I'll wait for the 60" OLEDs......:lol:

I agree no need to be hasty, like when I bought a VCR around 1980 for over 1000 smackaroos.
**** now you couldnt give one away.

Metla
28-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I paid $800 for a DVD player :lol:

The next day I went in with my oldboy so he could have a look at the range, They had dropped to $649:stare:

A week later sub-$100 DVD players appeared on sale at supermarkets and my fancy pants $800 DVD player was dropped down to $199, and had less features and capabilities then the supermarket players.:lol:

robbyp
28-12-2009, 12:51 PM
That is true if its local dimming led , not true if it edge lit led, they use less power then a conventional lcd.

I think most of the ones in NZ stores are edge lit LED backlit. LED and LCD TVs both use LCD, it is just that the LED ones use LED for the backlighting, while the others use CCFL backlighting, so they are all essentiallying using LCD panels on them. Local dimming LED backlighting does produce the best blacks, but I would think they would still use a lot less power than plasma.

CYaBro
28-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I wanted to get one of those HP Minis for $288 but they sold out in minutes.(

I got one today, sort of.
If you go in to a HN store and ask them to put one on a raincheck for you they will.
That exact HP model is no longer available but they are trying to source more of them otherwise it will be one of the same specs or better :)
They won't have anything available until later in January though.

robbyp
28-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I got one today, sort of.
If you go in to a HN store and ask them to put one on a raincheck for you they will.
That exact HP model is no longer available but they are trying to source more of them otherwise it will be one of the same specs or better :)
They won't have anything available until later in January though.

Yes I put in a back order in the morning, however intially the staff didn't know anything about backordering. The retail price on the docket was $799 for this model of hp mini. Hopefully, if they can't source the exact same one, that the replacement HP mini will have windows 7 instead of XP. I think they are allowing this becuase they have been advertising this extensively over this long weekend, yet they sold out on the first day.

KarameaDave
28-12-2009, 05:14 PM
I see a few of those HP netbooks already on Trade Me
Pretty quick profits for the seller!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/HP/auction-262316690.htm

paulw
28-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Bought a Canon HD camcorder. About half the price of it's new replacement..

xyz823
28-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I see a few of those HP netbooks already on Trade Me
Pretty quick profits for the seller!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/HP/auction-262316690.htm

Theres a thread (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=113445) on the TM messageboard about it.

robbyp
28-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Theres a thread (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=113445) on the TM messageboard about it.

It is called scalping, no different really to ticket scalping.

FoxyMX
28-12-2009, 09:26 PM

I got roped in by a NL salesman a couple of months ago who appeared to know his stuff. Didn't trust him though - suspect that he had me completely fooled.

Did yours tell you that plasmas were better than LCDs?

Metla
28-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I got roped in by a NL salesman a couple of months ago who appeared to know his stuff. Didn't trust him though - suspect that he had me completely fooled.

Did yours tell you that plasmas were better than LCDs?

Nope, wouldn't be drawn to say one was better then the other in such a broad way, Though he did say the Plasma screen I was looking at would be better then the LCD I was comparing it to for gaming.

He did show me how the lower end LCD's were losing detail in fast motion pieces and in shadow. And I could even see exactly what he was getting at.

That said, I have been staring at our current LCD TV trying to find fault with it, and it looks pretty damn stunning to me.

Metla
28-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Today we went into Dick Smith Powerhouse or whatever it is called, Miles and miles of Televisions, Then straight into Normon Ross, again miles and miles of televisions, Kids ran riot so instead of talking turkey with the sales people (all of whom looked too young to drive, Come on, How can I take them seriously?, If I was their age I'd be picking on them) where was I, Oh yeah, Kids running wild so I tracked em down and we split.

My main motivation is a bigger TV for the Xbox 360, So that was one of the main reasons for looking at a full HD panel, But the extra cost is about $1500 or near double the price of a 50" Non-HD plasma from the same manufacturer.

Has anyone used a current generation console on a Full HD screen and compared it to a non-HD (or HD ready as they say) screen? Was the difference a deal breaker?

plod
29-12-2009, 07:12 AM
When I got my lcd and PS3 two years ago, the difference between what I got and full HD was about $3000. Yes there is a difference . None that i could justify for that price. Haven't seriously thought about replacing it yet. But always keeping my eye out. Very hard to justify to the wife.:D

FoxyMX
29-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Nope, wouldn't be drawn to say one was better then the other in such a broad way, Though he did say the Plasma screen I was looking at would be better then the LCD I was comparing it to for gaming.

My salesman did. Couldn't have been store policy then. He whipped out his little notebook and started reeling off his spiel about how plasmas beat the pants off LCDs with picture quality, less power consumption! :eek: longer lifespan, etc etc. He even said they don't run very hot. :rolleyes:

I nodded my head wisely while asking myself what the heck he had been smoking. :p

Metla
29-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I now have a 50" Plasma, a massive credit card debt, and the angriest wife in all of NZ.

johcar
29-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Get a nice (is this possible?) chick-flick in hi-def and she'll be converted in no time... :D

You won't be sorry you went plasma instead of LCD!!!

robbyp
29-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Get a nice (is this possible?) chick-flick in hi-def and she'll be converted in no time... :D

You won't be sorry you went plasma instead of LCD!!!

He maybe after he sees his power bill, as they are known to use a lot more power than LCDs. Are plasmas actually 1080p HD, the ones I have seen are only 720p. I know is that the top manufacturers have now ceased making plasmas. They do have their advantages over LCD in some areas, including colour, but I would still prefer LCD with LED local dimming.

Cicero
29-12-2009, 06:38 PM
LCD is the way to go.

Ah well thats life.

johcar
29-12-2009, 06:52 PM
He maybe after he sees his power bill, as they are known to use a lot more power than LCDs. Are plasmas actually 1080p HD, the ones I have seen are only 720p. I know is that the top manufacturers have now ceased making plasmas. They do have their advantages over LCD in some areas, including colour, but I would still prefer LCD with LED local dimming.

My Panasonic Viera plasma is 1080p and I have noticed no surge in the power bill since buying it some twelve months ago or so.

Plasmas and LCDs both have about the same lifespan now and the image burn issue that used to plague earlier plasma models no longer exists.

Plasma give the best picture for high motion pictures - this is where they are most "CRT-like".

A good friend of mine is in the business (high-end audio and video equipment) and he would not recommend an LCD over a plasma to any of his clients... His store demo rooms all have 50 inch (or larger :drool) Panasonic plasmas.

I understand that Panasonic have recently increased their capacity for plasma TVs, so they're not going away anytime soon.

Metla
29-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Indeed, The demise of Plasma never happened, and it costs significantly more for a comparable quality large screen LCD, Though both technologies are capable of similar quality depending on what you want to spend.

Anyhow, I however went for the lower spec model, a 50" Plasma for $1600, How can you go wrong?

Well, Apart from the wife who reckons she has been waiting seven years for a dish washer.:lol::lol::lol:

bob_doe_nz
29-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, Apart from the wife who reckons she has been waiting seven years for a dish washer.:lol::lol::lol:

Then get back in the kitchen! :p

R2x1
29-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I suggested to the Dragon today (by phone) that this (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2009/12/chinese-mall-to-open-colorful-spacious-parking-lot-for-women-drivers/1) may be a hint that the officials heard she was coming.

I got the impression the weather in China has turned frosty.
Does HN or any other toaster shop have any personal suits of armour, preferably fireproof?

plod
29-12-2009, 09:44 PM
My Panasonic Viera plasma is 1080p and I have noticed no surge in the power bill since buying it some twelve months ago or so.

Plasmas and LCDs both have about the same lifespan now and the image burn issue that used to plague earlier plasma models no longer exists.

Plasma give the best picture for high motion pictures - this is where they are most "CRT-like".

A good friend of mine is in the business (high-end audio and video equipment) and he would not recommend an LCD over a plasma to any of his clients... His store demo rooms all have 50 inch (or larger :drool) Panasonic plasmas.

I understand that Panasonic have recently increased their capacity for plasma TVs, so they're not going away anytime soon.
Just come back from a mates, he has the 50 panasonic. Bloody nice, just set his new PS3 on it. He had it plugged in using composite, the look on his face after I made go down and buy a hdmi cable.

Metla
29-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I now need to replace my DVD player :dogeye:

Movies just look rubbish, Yet I play them on the PC which is hooked up to the Plasma via HDMI cable and it looks fantastic.:stare:

And on that note, My home videos (recorded in HD-V) look stunning.

Metla
29-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I suppose its a bit stupid to get a DVD player that will upscale the feed to 1080, and then have the TV downscale it to 720....But that's the plan.

Sweep
29-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I now need to replace my DVD player :dogeye:

Movies just look rubbish, Yet I play them on the PC which is hooked up to the Plasma via HDMI cable and it looks fantastic.:stare:

And on that note, My home videos (recorded in HD-V) look stunning.

Can I expect to hear popping sounds from my south west when SWMBO opens up with the new "on sale" rocket launcher?

prefect
30-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I have shown the dragon lady this thread I want a 42 inch lcd with built in free view dont care about the hdmi.
I have the same probs dont need it 28" crt going and I cant afford it but a mate of mine died from a stroke a few weeks ago and I want a big screen tv before I depart earth.
Mate used to smoke rolly pocket edition and no filters so beware.

Metla
30-12-2009, 01:41 AM
I suggested to the Dragon today (by phone) that this (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2009/12/chinese-mall-to-open-colorful-spacious-parking-lot-for-women-drivers/1) may be a hint that the officials heard she was coming.

I got the impression the weather in China has turned frosty.
Does HN or any other toaster shop have any personal suits of armour, preferably fireproof?

You may like to show her this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUiUMIiBjB0

She will thank you for it.

R2x1
30-12-2009, 06:32 AM
:D :D
Sorry - I am tempted, but a few thousand K's and a month or so is probably too close to avoid risking my no-claims bonus on the life policy.

Strommer
30-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I now have a 50" Plasma, a massive credit card debt, and the angriest wife in all of NZ.

Driving back from Otaki tonight, trying to break the boredom of driving a car, I told SWMBO about what you did, including the background to your purchase - your post #13 above - and said that it cracked me up real funny, oh and BTW the guy is a legend, he even has a Harley. Bloody hell, thought she may have been asleep but she quickly sided with your wife and said she was not impressed with you at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Metla
31-12-2009, 12:50 AM
On that note, tell her I no longer have the Harley, I sold it at a massive loss, and bought myself a 15th Anniversary Speed Triple.

Cicero
31-12-2009, 06:56 AM
On that note, tell her I no longer have the Harley, I sold it at a massive loss, and bought myself a 15th Anniversary Speed Triple.

I would start working out how to get her a dish washer,say that is next on list.

Take her mind off the important things.

Strommer
31-12-2009, 11:24 AM

:thumbs: Awesome. (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Triumph-SpeedTriple15thAnniversaryEdition.htm)
130 bhp. Metallic Phantom Black colour scheme, with hand finished red pinstriped wheels to match unique ‘15th Anniversary Special Edition’ decal.

#$@X! Mets :mad: you have the bike of my dreams and did not even offer me to buy your HD.

And oh yeah, I'm gonna tell SWMBO. Feel like taking her for a pillion ride over to wH-vegas.

SolMiester
31-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Only if you have a spare $7k!

Nomad
31-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Wasn't aware of those sale prices, Boxing Day morning we had a long drive away ....

Well good for my wallet then :D

We still have a CRT 24" at home, won't get a LCD until it breaks. We have foreign channels with Sky, not sure if that is HD but we don't get the std sky channels but if we did and want HD that cost more.

I got a LCD cos I got a new PC almost 24 months now, prior I had laptop so it was a whole new thing for me. Downstairs still have a 17" CRT quite a high end one at the time, which was bad timing, should of got it earlier or later and got a entry LCD. Anyway ... haven't upgraded cos it still goes and only for email and stuff...

Seems DVD is still going, has Blue Ray taken off?
For my own stuff, not interested in Blue Ray with photography it means too many discs, prefer the HDDs.