PDA

View Full Version : Can you connect an ethernet hub to an ADSL modem

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Or do you need a modem / router?? To connect something like an Xbox? I dont know. A mate's son, was trying to connect his Xbox to theirs, but its only got one port and USB (which probably wouldnt be a good idea to connect to the net _ Its a telecom speedtouch). I said they'll need a modem /router to connect the Xbox. BUT, will a hub do the same thing? The only thing is, obviously you couldnt add ports. And you'll probably need some kind of firewall?? It would be good, if you could. Since I've got 2 hubs ( a 5 port gigabit, and 8 port 10/100) here doing nothing

wainuitech
26-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Hubs wont issue out multi IP addresses, a router will of course. I'm sure if you connect a single port modem to a hub, then multi devices, you'll get an IP conflict error.

A hub to router is no problem as the hub is getting the IP's from the router.

BUT check on the Modem, some of the newer ones can actually act as a router - even with the one port, sorry, but cant remember which brand / Model though.

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Hmm ok ta WT. I didnt take note of the model (bugger).. But it is a speedtouch

Just came back after (I hope) fixing the mates PC. The bloody BIOS I put on it last time I went there, must have been buggy / stuffed. It kept trying to recover and was looking for a floppy / cd.

I had to download the previous BIOS update and boot from the USB flash drive I have here to fix. Luckily, it boots into windows everytime now (well, when I tested it, it did lol). Rebooted 5-10 times, then shut it down / turned it on (this is when it kept looking for the cd/floppy). So, anyone using an ASUS P5PL2-E mobo, DONT flash it to 1002 beta. Its screwed. Use 0904.

lagbort
27-12-2009, 12:02 AM
it should work fine as long as the speedtouch modem is handling dhcp.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Hmm well the nic its on atm is on auto. So, I guess it can do DHCP??

lagbort
27-12-2009, 10:10 AM
should be fine, I have used those speedtech modems before with just a switch hooked up.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Will an Xbox work properly on DHCP tho?? I dont know, I put an ip in manually for the one here. But I'm using a modem / router

lagbort
27-12-2009, 10:22 AM
yes the xbox will pick up an address from dhcp

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Ok then. I'll have to take the hub over one day, and test it out. See how it goes. Ta lagbort :)

wainuitech
27-12-2009, 10:36 AM
it should work fine as long as the speedtouch modem is handling dhcp. Yep thats what I was meaning - to late last night to think straight esp after the BBQ - I wasn't to sure if that Speedtouch was the one or not.

Edited; if all else fails ( heaven forbid) locate the model, and Download the manual (http://www.speedtouch.net.nz/routers.htm) :lol:

nedkelly
27-12-2009, 10:49 AM
if possible dont use a hub if it is being plugged into any other computers. Switch would be best.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Well it is a switch a cnet 8 port switch. Thats what it says on the front of it. The modem maybe the 530, since 3 are discontinued. And the 530 is the only one with USB on it. The only thing at their house, is 1 PC and an Xbox (once they get an ethernet cable for it). According to the manual: In case of a single Ethernet port SpeedTouch™510 or SpeedTouch™530, you will need an external hub or switch to connect multiple computers. So, I guess it'll work

Pics below

Agent_24
27-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Almost all ADSL Routers with an ethernet interface are capable of providing IP addresses via DHCP for at least 253 clients. All you need is a switch\hub to connect the rest of the computers.

But what you are doing will work fine. Also, you can uplink that switch to another switch if you need more ports.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Sweet thats good ! I shall try it, if and when they can pick me up (Theyre over the shore). Yup there's an uplink on the side of this. As well as the 8 ports on the back. Dont think theyre planning on using more than 1 PC, they cant even deal with 1 lol

Agent_24
27-12-2009, 12:28 PM
The only problem you *might* run into is if the router expects a crossover instead of a patch cable between itself and the switch. However this is unlikely and most devices can auto-switch anyway, so it usually does not matter which cable you use.

(in regard to uplinking, I have 3 switches on my own home network uplinked through each other, all connected back to my Dynalink RTA-1320 which acts as DHCP server and internet gateway)

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Yup thats what I was thinking. Well if the 8 port doesnt work (and you need a xover - I did have one). I'll try the 5 port gigabit switch instead. Thats only got 5 ports, and no uplink

Agent_24
27-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Normally you can just plug the router into the first port of the switch. If this doesn't work, try plugging it into the uplink port instead, if it has one.

nedkelly
27-12-2009, 12:39 PM
my switch just uses a patch cable to get to my router. Upload port just sits unused.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Umm its a modem NOT a router. Thats why I was planning on using this switch instead. Connect the PC to it, the modem and Xbox to it as well

Agent_24
27-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Modem or Router, it doesn't really matter what they call it, it will still work

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Cool, thats the main thing. It'll save them like $120-150 to buy one. All they need is a ethernet cable to go from the room to the modem (it wont be in the same room, as the Xbox)