PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Lifespan ?

learning
26-12-2009, 05:42 PM
i m planning on buying a Digital SLR Camera

More specifically Cannon EOS 500D DSLR

I would like to know what is the typical lifespan
for a digital/DSLR camera ?

Since i will be spending a good chunk of money i would like
to know how long will it last

Also will appreciate any other comments on this specific
camera. I am just a enthusiast and want to experiment
with DSLR and nothing ultra serious photography

Thanks

Battleneter2
26-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Life span is difficult to say, they are generally fairly robust. If you don't do a heavy drop 10 years should be possible, ive had a Fuji SLR for maybe 5 years, although I find myself using my smaller digital camera a lot more.

You need to state your price range, what you plan to use it for and any specific features?

Zippity
26-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/ :)

psycik
26-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Have just bought the 1000D myself. Not because I'm a decent photographer, but for the quality of the photos out of it (even in auto mode).

Hope to learn later how to use it properly, but at the moment with a 7mth old , point and shoot works well. And these things are fast, almost 4 fps in continuous mode.

BobM
26-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Also make sure you get a camera bag with decent padding. My camera came with a pack style bag which had plenty of room in it, but very little padding. The firm did a swap for a Lowepro Rezo 170 bag which has a type of foam padding on sides & top & bottom. A good insurance. !

psycik
26-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Also make sure you get a camera bag with decent padding. My camera came with a pack style bag which had plenty of room in it, but very little padding. The firm did a swap for a Lowepro Rezo 170 bag which has a type of foam padding on sides & top & bottom. A good insurance. !

Canons at the moment come with an EOS bag by redemption.
http://milliondollarpicture.canon.co.nz/?wid=htxmas091101

johcar
28-12-2009, 12:22 AM
My sister has a 20D - it has crapped out (it gets VERY heavy use) and is unrepairable. Lifespan approximately 80K photos. I believe they have improved them in more recent models...

Nomad
31-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I got a Nikon D70 in 2004 and still goes but from week 1 it needed repairs, b/c I got in Japan, I had to send it back to Japan well I sent back 3x in total over the 2yr because it had a recall advisory all units out of warranty was serviceable.

I don't think it is heavy use, it is just good luck or bad luck and digital camera are more complex.

If you shoot a lot like sports photographers or journalist, more shots made - the shutter unit may need replacing and for a min repair that may cost $300US equiv. NZ are not as good as them b/c NZ tend to charge a assessment fee unlike the USA which is free. Digital stuff no matter how expensive, only 1yr. Althou you may use the CGA.

I have bought a used cam this year, that has 100k shots fired, it was formerly owned by a sports photographer who did horse racing.

KenESmith
02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Suggest you have a look at the following:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/
This is a great source of info on digital cameras.