PDA

View Full Version : Xp licence for dead laptop, what do people do with them?

Morgenmuffel
23-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi all

A couple of months ago a dead laptop was given to playcentre for the kids to play with, and i noticed it still had its XP pro COA label on it, unfortunatly before i could cut it off to use, some bugger sent the lappie off to e-day.

I also noticed a few threads recently about people wanting to replace their expired laptops, what do they do with the licence for the dead one,
I mean am i able to get hold of one and use it on a machine, after all unless the person has reinstalled the operating system on the lappy, the actual licence number will never have been used as most pre-installed lappie O/s come with a generic toshiba/compaq/blah serial rather than the individual one on the coa on the side/bottom of the lappie

Any help greatly appreciated

pctek
23-12-2009, 07:38 PM
What do I do with them? Keep them for future use.

Sweep
23-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I know one guy who visits the local tip and gets cases for the sticker attached.

waldok
23-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Nigel

I think you'll find that the COA was for OEM software. OEM licences are cheaper because they're sold as an integrated component of the computer. That means pretty much all software that's sold as OEM cannot be lawfully transferred to another computer. It might depend a bit on the particular EULA but I think it's the same across Microsoft, Adobe, Corel, etc.

If the COA is for a retail product that can be transferred to other PCs, it's usually kept with the disk or packaging rather than stuck on the PC.

cheers
W

fred_fish
23-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I think you'll find that the COA was for OEM software. OEM licences are cheaper because they're sold as an integrated component of the computer. That means pretty much all software that's sold as OEM cannot be lawfully transferred to another computer.
That doesn't mean it won't work .... :ban

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 09:23 PM
That means pretty much all software that's sold as OEM cannot be lawfully transferred to another computer.
Lawfully where? The mighty US of A?
Or the real world, where if you buy something it is yours?
This issue is one where the software companies are, in my view
inflicting on the purchaser, conditions (EULA) after the purchaser has
paid for the product. This is, I think unlawful, or if it is not, should be.
If my machine fails I expect to be able to transfer the OS to another.
Anything less is fraud!!!

Sweep
23-12-2009, 09:33 PM
This issue is one where the software companies are, in my view
inflicting on the purchaser, conditions (EULA) after the purchaser has
paid for the product. This is, I think unlawful, or if it is not, should be.
If my machine fails I expect to be able to transfer the OS to another.
Anything less is fraud!!!

An EULA is a document and usually gives the end user the right to use the software. You don't get to own the software.

You can buy OEM versions of Windows or you can buy the full version. You have a choice do you not?

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 09:37 PM
A condition should, in my opinion be up front and obvious before purchase.

fred_fish
23-12-2009, 09:42 PM

Just wait 'til that FTA is signed up to ... :stare:

Sweep
23-12-2009, 09:44 PM

I agree that if conditions are imposed they should be stated before purchase.

So how are you going to stick a multipage document on a CD or DVD?

Especially if downloaded as a trial for example.

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 09:49 PM
The thing that annoys me most about this issue, is that Joe Public,
who goes into a toaster shop and buys a big name PC.
Is never given an option, it's M$'s way or the highway.
I dream of the day that a range of Linux or BSD PCs are offered
alongside M$'s wares. (This is Steve Ballmers worst nightmare)

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Why wait for linux PC's? Just make one, download it, then install it

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Why wait for linux PC's? Just make one, download it, then install it
I've got several already Speedy, I just think it's a shame that they aren't
more available to ordinary folk..............End of Rant:p:D

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Probably because they'll be cheaper, and they cant have that :p They'll probably go broke. And they cant add more crap to it (ie:nortons/mcafee/office trial), to make it more expensive.

Metla
23-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I've got several already Speedy, I just think it's a shame that they aren't
more available to ordinary folk..............End of Rant:p:D

Its been tried, and its failed.

Like it or not, The masses prefer Windows, so that is what they buy,warts and all.

Me included.

Though I just recycle keys for whoever wants one, MS have been paid for it.

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Probably because they'll be cheaper, and they cant have that :p They'll probably go broke. And they cant add more crap to it (ie:nortons/mcafee/office trial), to make it more expensive.
Yup, exactly.:lol:

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Its been tried, and its failed.

Like it or not, The masses prefer Windows, so that is what they buy,warts and all.
I know Metla, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.:lol:

fred_fish
23-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Just imagine the time and bandwidth saved from not having to run and update 2 AV's, 3 anti-spywares, a couple of malware scanners & 2 x reg cleaners :rolleyes:
Oh... and paying for the privelege....:blush:

wainuitech
23-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Wanna take your foot out of your mouth before making statements like that ??

One would assume a person can READ - Its CLEARLY STATED in several places.

OEM is meant to be sold with Hardware. This is windows 7, but its on ALL MS OEM software -- One the cover of the DVD packaging (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM1.jpg) -- also printed on the DVD (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM3.jpg) - and its in the very first page of the EULA that you have to click I AGREE before it installs - As shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM4.jpg) - the fact you click I agree without reading it is irrelevant - you agreed to the EULA.

What it boils down to is simple -places selling OEM software without the hardware are breaking the OEM Licencing agreements.

BUT some places do advertise it, take DSE with Office 2007 Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSE.jpg)

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Wanna take your foot out of your mouth before making statements like that ??

One would assume a person can READ - Its CLEARLY STATED in several places.

OEM is meant to be sold with Hardware. This is windows 7, but its on ALL MS OEM software -- One the cover of the DVD packaging (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM1.jpg) - Bit clearer (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM2.jpg) -- also printed on the DVD (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM3.jpg) - and its in the very first page of the EULA that you have to click I AGREE before it installs - As shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM4.jpg) - the fact you click I agree without reading it is irrelevant - you agreed to the EULA.

Don't see it on the PCs in the toaster shops, which is what I was referring to....
...so whos foot is in their mouth now!!!

Sweep
23-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Agreed Wainuitech.

Some people sign up for insurance that is not worth the paper it's printed on. Others send money to Nigeria in the hope of an increase in their bank account and the list goes on.

Sweep
23-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Don't see it on the PCs in the toaster shops, which is what I was referring to....
...so whos foot is in their mouth now!!!

So you expect the EULA to be stuck on the side of the PC?

In a toaster shop I would think that the key won't be on there on the side either.

wainuitech
23-12-2009, 10:57 PM
...so whos foot is in their mouth now!!! YOURS,the software thats installed in the toaster shops is already there, you are buying the whole PC, not just the software.

If you install the software on another PC, you still have to agree to the EULA otherwise it wont install - to repeat, "the fact you click I agree without reading it is irrelevant - you agreed to the EULA." that clearly states the Software is assigned to the original computer it came installed on.

As sweep mentioned
Some people sign up for insurance that is not worth the paper it's printed on People dont read what they are signing or agreeing to.

That doesn't make any difference to what ever was signed - you agreed to it and it WILL stand up in court - I KNOW, as I won a case a few years back - the excuse by the business was they signed the contract without reading it -- The adjudicator just laughed and said that was their tough luck.

To reply to sweeps comment
In a toaster shop I would think that the key won't be on there on the side either. It is actually, by the agreements to sell OEM software with new PC's it says:

"You are required to affix this certificate of Authenticity to the exterior of the PC"

Doesn't matter where its stuck, back front side underneath as long as its there Eg: on laptops its on the under side. Next time you're in a toaster shop have a look at any PC, it will be there someplace.

Back to the original subject , post 4 basically sums it up.

Sweep
23-12-2009, 11:06 PM
What I referring to is that the key will be there when you buy it but not on demo models otherwise I could go and inspect a PC and write down the code.

wainuitech
23-12-2009, 11:09 PM
What I referring to is that the key will be there when you buy it but not on demo models otherwise I could go and inspect a PC and write down the code. Go take a look my friend - they are on every demo model I have seen in the toaster shops and Stationary warehouse -- and I have often thought the same thing - Whats stopping a person doing that -- though it may look a little suspect if someones writing down a COA :rolleyes:

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Such vehement support for a corporate monolith, your point is of course valid, but I
just disagree with the concept.........Merry Christmas Wainuitech.

fred_fish
23-12-2009, 11:17 PM
As sweep mentioned People dont read what they are signing or agreeing to.

They should.

The PC would be obsolete by the time they could use it though. :lol:

wainuitech
23-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Such vehement support for a corporate monolith........Merry Christmas Wainuitech.:p Far from it, I'm just quoting whats written down, nothing more nothing less.

What happens in the real world is not always what providers (MS, Adobe etc) have written down - Just pointing out that what some people think is right or what should be right is in fact incorrect to what a person actually agrees to.

Dont get me wrong - I think it sucks what they put - BUT at the end of the day if you use a companies software, generally you have to agree to what ever they put in their license other wise it wont install. Weather that person actually abides by it is another matter :lol:

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I get your point.:lol:

Nomad
24-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Here is a question.

Cannot remember the combination. If there is a license sticker on the base of the unit - that is a OEM. I will need a OEM CD to install right? If I use a non OEM CD - would it work?

In terms of the legal issue. If you buy a supermarket PC and it has a sticker code for OEM. Is that OEM license only for that specific computer or are you legally allowed to use on any other PC (provided of course the first PC HDD has been wiped)? I would think that at the time you bought the PC with that OEM software that was your agreement and you might not be allowed to use it on another PC. But most of these days the computers don't have install CDs they have recovery CDs for a reason .....

pctek
24-12-2009, 11:37 AM
What it boils down to is simple -places selling OEM software without the hardware are breaking the OEM Licencing agreements.

Yes. However why should there be a difference between OEM and Retail anyway? You buy it, you own it.

Just because MS (and others) want a way to force you to buy another Operating System when you had a perfectly good one already..........I bet you the accountant came up with that con.

And in roll the $billions......

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes. However why should there be a difference between OEM and Retail anyway? You buy it, you own it.

C'mon Pctek :p -- you know the answer to that -- OEM "legally" is tied to the original purchase of the hardware as per the EULA = cheaper software.

Retail is not, so its more expensive.

One thing I didn't know, I found this in an article
in Germany specifically, OEM licenses can be transferred. This does apply to Germany specifically though, so everywhere else it holds true that OEM licenses cannot be transferred to a different computer. What makes it different in Germany I wonder ??

CYaBro
24-12-2009, 11:56 AM
BUT some places do advertise it, take DSE with Office 2007 Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSE.jpg)

Bit different with Office 2007 because if you buy the OEM version you don't get any disks.
You can then buy a backup disk directly from MS but originally you only buy the license to put on a computer that had Office 2007 pre-installed at time of purchase.

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Bit different with Office 2007 because if you buy the OEM version you don't get any disks.
You can then buy a backup disk directly from MS but originally you only buy the license to put on a computer that had Office 2007 pre-installed at time of purchase. You can actually add to that - download the trial from MS, the OEM COA still works.

I can remember when the system builder DVD's first came out, cost $5 ( from memory or could have been $15) for a complete set of Home & student, Professional + SBE, I got 4 packs as they said the prices would go up -- Now look at the prices for the same -- Thats a rip off.

KarameaDave
24-12-2009, 12:59 PM
In Germany, from what I have read, a EULA is only enforceable if the
user signs a written contract, the act of clicking 'I Accept' is not sufficient to
establish a contract there, what an enlightened country they are.:p

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Signed in front of who? The cops?

KarameaDave
24-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Don't know, I think in practice they don't bother to enforce?
Perhaps, if we have any German members they could clarify?

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 01:28 PM
In Germany, from what I have read, a EULA is only enforceable if the
user signs a written contract, the act of clicking 'I Accept' is not sufficient to
establish a contract there, what an enlightened country they are.:p Hmmm vellllly interestinggggg :lol: That could be good or bad depending on the way a person looks at it.

Thanks for that.

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Looks like they do it with apple as well (http://superuser.com/questions/30940/is-an-eula-enforceable)

if Apple wishes to enforce their EULA in Germany, then they'll have to to get the customer to sign a written contract, yes. and then it would be legally binding.

And since Mac OSX doesn't require server-based product activation there isn't much Apple can do about it. in Germany now one may argue that you can install Windows on as many computers you like since you didn't agree to the EULA prior to the purchase, however, Microsoft can and will refuse activation which they use for copyright protection. and circumventing copyright protection is illegal, even in Germany ... but MS will eventually pull the plug on the XP activation server (AFAIK in 2011) and then this argument will become valid, i read about this a while ago, quite interesting.

And (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/03/snow-leopard-in-eula-we-trust/)

From a reply

Luckily, us German end-users, are not bound by any EULA from anyone*, so we don't have to worry about such things...

*Yes, there are court decisions on that.

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Just to add in Re OEM COA's on the back of Laptops or PC's for that matter, which was the original question :p.

IF you take ANY name brand PC ( including laptops) and run something like magicjellybean to find the product key, you will find the COA thats factory installed is completely different to the COA on the side of the case / under the laptop.
SO going by that, you are actually given two COA's :rolleyes: One you click I agree to when first starting the New PC and the one stuck to the case has never been activated ;)

If you use the factory COA to reinstall it wont activate, and if you call MS they will say its invalid - WHY ? because BIG system builders use the same product key on many builds, bit like a pre activated COA. Theres been many times when doing a reinstall, I have had 3 -4 Compaq's for example all with the same COA factory installed.

BTW - I was only have a stir :D - MS are not stupid (that could be a debate on its own) :lol: Only kidding - they know very well people use OEM keys more than once, considering simply upgrading the PC's CPU, Graphic Card etc, can trigger the activation.

Sam I Am
24-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Gets even more fun when you need to define what a system is so that it qualifies for OEM sale.

'Firinstance, there are still suppliers who insist that you buy at least a CD Rom drive with the software.

pctek
24-12-2009, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;852410]C'mon Pctek :p -- you know the answer to that -- OEM "legally" is tied to the original purchase of the hardware as per the EULA = cheaper software.
/QUOTE]

There is NO difference. Yes price is different, so what, for the same product. The REAL reason is so MS can make loads more money.

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;852410]C'mon Pctek :p -- you know the answer to that -- OEM "legally" is tied to the original purchase of the hardware as per the EULA = cheaper software.
/QUOTE]

There is NO difference. Yes price is different, so what, for the same product. The REAL reason is so MS can make loads more money.:lol: Funny that - isn't that a novel idea - a business making money.

No money = no business :p

Gets even more fun when you need to define what a system is so that it qualifies for OEM sale.Thats easy, well it used to be any way, anything a computer needs to run the OS. Which is CPU, Motherboard, PSU, HDD, Memory. Every thing else a PC will run without ( excluding cables IDE or SATA) - wont be able to do anything, but it will run. Mind you that setup is exactly how two of my servers run - remotely/Headless.

Cptn Hotshot
24-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Oh well, there is MS view of the world and then there is everyone else. For the average Joe Bloggs who buys a computer, a COA is a COA. When the equipment eventually goes kaput I doubt people think about OEM v Retail when they refix the computer. Had a branded box myself where MB failed so removed HD's and sold the box ... COA and all. I was happy ... got rid of a box I didn't need and the purchaser was happy since had a box with COA. I would imagine the purchaser would have rebuilt the box and reinstalled a version of Windows to match COA and all would be well.

Paul.Cov
24-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I would imagine the purchaser would have rebuilt the box and reinstalled a version of Windows to match COA and all would be well.

Alright, now for arguement's sake, I have machines with a variety of OEM COA's, and various versions of XP and Service Packs.

How would you suggest someone in my position would get the exact version of the OS to match those various COA's, and do so without encouraging the wrath of the original copyright holders and getting ones internet connection cut off for copyright 'alleged' violations?

And without blowing even more money in Microsoft's direction?

Metla
24-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Alright, now for arguement's sake, I have machines with a variety of OEM COA's, and various versions of XP and Service Packs.

How would you suggest someone in my position would get the exact version of the OS to match those various COA's, and do so without encouraging the wrath of the original copyright holders and getting ones internet connection cut off for copyright 'alleged' violations?

Why bother?

The most up to date XP CD I have is with SP2, I use it on every PC that comes through my hands and either use the key on the box or recycle one from elsewhere.

Nomad
24-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I got some photo's done at Noel Leeming for 15c each I think or 14c.

I saw the windows software. A bit surprise that the pro and ultimate was same price I think. For both the retail copy and upgrade.

Anyway. Looking at the prices, at about $300 or $400 respectively I think, I would rather buy a cheap PC or a cheap laptop or netbook and get windows for free. By in large most people only do the basics so a cheap system should suffice. People who get stuff from appliance would just continue to get a system with the free OS thrown in so to speak.

Re: custom built PC like the guys here, when you add in the OS price it does lessen the cheaper price vs getting a brand name PC.

Say you bought a OEM Windows with a Compaq PC or a Dell laptop or a Asus Netbook. Should you get a new system without a OS. Are you allowed to use that OEM OS for your new PC?

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 07:06 PM

And without blowing even more money in Microsoft's direction? Most XP Home OEM CD's work with OEM COA's but not all - usually the ones that can give problems are some name brand Eg: HP or Dells & some very early Xp's Pre SP1 will also give problems with say a XP Sp2 or 3 CD.

XP pro is the main one that gives problems - I have 4 different versions of XP Pro CD's, some work with some XP Pro COA's some dont.

As for obtaining a CD (s) either borrow one from a friend, or try someplace like trademe.

Nomad
24-12-2009, 07:14 PM
When I was younger I was more into computers, always talking it about at school :D

Uni came and I did miserable for Comp 101 when we had a test on programming and likewise on database but I think my exams improved greately on database but not programming.

I have tried linux, tried red hat which was super hard, I was just lost, did try reading those scripts, didn't get over the learning curve, left it for some yrs and got ubuntu that was better but I juts felt it was too of a niche market. You go to school, uni, work, they all use windows. They all use MS Office. Occasionally Novel Groupwise (in place of MS Outlook) might be used and likewise Lotus software might be used. But using a linux was just too foreign. Likewise to Open Office even on a windows OS and the likes of free photo edit softwares, magazines and school and uni and workplaces use Adobe period. If one cannot afford Photoshop, there is always Photoshop Elements which is generally thrown in for free when you get that scanner or that camera.

Unless the masses use them at school and work I don't see how Joe Bloggs would use them for their own machines.

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Re: custom built PC like the guys here, when you add in the OS price it does lessen the cheaper price vs getting a brand name PC.

Say you bought a OEM Windows with a Compaq PC or a Dell laptop or a Asus Netbook. Should you get a new system without a OS. Are you allowed to use that OEM OS for your new PC? Places like Dell and HP/Compaq buy in bulk and get a dirt cheap price compared to small time places, but the price of an OS is still included. I noticed a while back dell supplying with Ubuntu, and if wanted windows then add in the OS price.

This was in the USA.

Nomad
24-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Places like Dell and HP/Compaq buy in bulk and get a dirt cheap price compared to small time places, but the price of an OS is still included. I noticed a while back dell supplying with Ubuntu, and if wanted windows then add in the OS price.

This was in the USA.

Are OEM software transferable to a new PC?
If you bought a Dell, are you allowed to use that license and install it to a another different PC?

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 09:47 PM
If you bought a Dell, are you allowed to use that license and install it to a another different PC? Legally no - This is what the OEM license says (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM4.jpg) - BUT it is done by some.

Metla
24-12-2009, 09:48 PM
If you bought a Dell, are you allowed to use that license and install it to a another different PC?

Nope, That's the entire point of OEM, It dies with the hardware its supplied with.

And according to MS i you replace the mobo you are meant to buy a new license.

Tui Anyone?

Nomad
24-12-2009, 10:06 PM
With that point why have OEM install CDs? Why not provide them with a brandname or a custom brand recovery CD so they cannot misuse the CD?

For the custom parts shop, maybe they could say the shop builds your PC up with the parts you want and then if you want windows, it is provided on a recovery CD.

Althou there are ways to work around that too.

I can understand that they buy in bulk so OEM or anything for that matter when bought in bulk they can be sold for a reduced price to the customer.

Metla
24-12-2009, 10:37 PM
When the oem companies like Dell buy in bulk they would just negotiate a price per license with MS, and then pay MS a fee for every system they ship with an OS image on it, thatss why there no CD is supplied with teh PC, No need for it as far as they are concerned, and it allows a massive reduction in cost from their end.

Pity its a **** sandwich for the customer, I can't see any reason to think custom builders should have to go that route, An unmolested install CD is one of the advantages of avoiding crap like Dell, HP and the rest.

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 10:41 PM
This thread is getting to a whats right and whats not :p

With that point why have OEM install CDs? Why not provide them with a brandname or a custom brand recovery CD so they cannot misuse the CD?

For the custom parts shop, maybe they could say the shop builds your PC up with the parts you want and then if you want windows, it is provided on a recovery CD.
Problem with that, is a recovery CD is made for certain components & drivers, and while it is easy enough to do, the CD would have to be made for each PC - hence it would cost more.

When places like dell/HP make recovery CD's for system xyz they will all have the exact same components, they may have a run of lets say 10,000 PC's all the same.

I can understand that they buy in bulk so OEM or anything for that matter when bought in bulk they can be sold for a reduced price to the customer. Thats true, and thats what they do, smaller places like myself and many others here that do the same, may by in batches of 1 or 2, or 20-30, some 50-100 at a time, the more you buy the less it is per CD/License.

If a bigger place buys 1000 at a time the small time operator usually cant match the price or if they can its the actual buy price or close to it.

Heres an example: Look at the price from Ascent (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Ascent.jpg) x the single copy by 3 - look at the difference if you brought 3 separately compared to the 3 pack. Ascent would buy in bulk - so they can offer cheaper prices and still make a profit ( whole point of being in business) Now while I and others can match that price by buying it as a single ( from our suppliers), I can bet your boots Ascent would make more of a profit than I would. Some suppliers can vary in price quite a bit as well - so you have to have several and "shop around".

An unmolested install CD is one of the advantages of avoiding crap like Dell, HP and the rest. AMEN Metla :thumbs:

fred_fish
24-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Unless the masses use them at school and work I don't see how Joe Bloggs would use them for their own machines.
Looks like your programming was quite successful after all. :p

Nomad
24-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Those OEM Windows, are they install CDs?

While we are talking about Ascent:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382323

Coaster
24-12-2009, 11:15 PM
The hardest part is peeling/scraping the sticker off the old case.

gary67
25-12-2009, 08:33 AM
The hardest part is peeling/scraping the sticker off the old case.

Hair-dryer works easy

Morgenmuffel
25-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Ok so basically if I see a COA stuck on the side of a dead machine, its worth prying it off to use (or at least try)

Speedy Gonzales
25-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Why not or write the key down :p I dont put COA's on the cases here. Just because they say you have to.

Sam I Am
25-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Why not or write the key down :p I dont put COA's on the cases here. Just because they say you have to.

Yup, but then if someone needs to do a repair install at some stage and the client can't supply the sticker, they are screwed.

pctek
25-12-2009, 05:46 PM
No money = no business :p

Oh crap.
I have both a business and no money.

wainuitech
25-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh crap.
I have both a business and no money. What ever as long as your happy.

KarameaDave
25-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Happy? Oh yes, I remember that.

waldok
25-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi, there's been a lot of interesting conversation about how people would prefer OEM software to be licensed, but I just wanted to be clear:

A Microsoft OEM COA cannot be re-used with another computer in any way. Generally it would be safe to assume the same rules apply for other software developers until you check their licence terms.

Re-using a Microsoft OEM COA with another computer system is copyright infringement, aka software piracy. That's true in NZ as well.

The OEM licence is only valid for the original computer system. Wainuitech's screenshots and licence quote are spot on.

Aside from the possiblity of causing activation/validation problems for people in the future, re-using an OEM key or sticker on another computer would be misleading, especialy if there's any pretence that a licensed copy of the software is being provided. I think it's dishonest and for a business it would be a crime.

If you want a licence you can transfer there is that choice, that's the Retail licence (Full Packaged Product). There are also refurbisher programs (http://www.mar.partners.extranet.microsoft.com/DonateRecieveComputers.aspx) for easily recycling old PCs.

Anyone who's aware of someone re-using Microsoft OEM COAs on another computer system can report it to nzpiracy@microsoft.com (link with more info (http://www.microsoft.com/nz/piracy/report/default.mspx)).

cheers
W

waldok
25-12-2009, 09:26 PM

Hi Paul, if you don't already have the usual recovery partition or disks that are provided with the OEM licence, you should be able to order replacement disks from the computer manufacturer.

cheers
W

Metla
25-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Anyone who's aware of someone re-using Microsoft OEM COAs on another computer system can report it to nzpiracy@microsoft.com (link with more info (http://www.microsoft.com/nz/piracy/report/default.mspx)).

The mind boggles.:dogeye:

All Hail MS.

wainuitech
25-12-2009, 10:15 PM
The mind boggles.:dogeye:

My mind Boggles at t e moment but that s alcohol induced :lol:

KarameaDave
25-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Anyone who's aware of someone re-using Microsoft OEM COAs on another computer system can report it to nzpiracy@microsoft.com (link with more info (http://www.microsoft.com/nz/piracy/report/default.mspx)). cheers
W

I know nothingggggggg!

Sam I Am
25-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi, there's been a lot of interesting conversation about how people would prefer OEM software to be licensed, but I just wanted to be clear:

A Microsoft OEM COA cannot be re-used with another computer in any way. Generally it would be safe to assume the same rules apply for other software developers until you check their licence terms.

Re-using a Microsoft OEM COA with another computer system is copyright infringement, aka software piracy. That's true in NZ as well.

The OEM licence is only valid for the original computer system. Wainuitech's screenshots and licence quote are spot on.

Aside from the possiblity of causing activation/validation problems for people in the future, re-using an OEM key or sticker on another computer would be misleading, especialy if there's any pretence that a licensed copy of the software is being provided. I think it's dishonest and for a business it would be a crime.

If you want a licence you can transfer there is that choice, that's the Retail licence (Full Packaged Product). There are also refurbisher programs (http://www.mar.partners.extranet.microsoft.com/DonateRecieveComputers.aspx) for easily recycling old PCs.

cheers
W

Interesting. It doesn't explain though just why MS help only ever ask you to state the the operating system you are activating is not currently installed on another computer. Or why the MS tech did not even raise an interweb eyebrow when he reactivated the copy of windows from my old defunct laptop even when I told him the truth.

waldok
26-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Interesting. It doesn't explain though just why MS help only ever ask you to state the the operating system you are activating is not currently installed on another computer. Or why the MS tech did not even raise an interweb eyebrow when he reactivated the copy of windows from my old defunct laptop even when I told him the truth.

I'd say customer support would give the benefit of the doubt to home users. So asking is probably not part of the script, or you just got lucky! :thumbs:

cheers
W

DeSade
27-12-2009, 02:49 AM

cheers
W

So many things come to mind here.

Yeah right....
In your dreams....
What are you smoking...

I could go on forever but I am already bored

bk T
27-12-2009, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=pctek;852485]:lol: Funny that - isn't that a novel idea - a business making money.

No body will say that it is wrong, if, it's done ETHICALLY.

There're too many 'rich' businessman out there doing un-ethical activiites. I'm not say that MS belongs to this group but MS is just GREEDY, tooooo greedy!

bk T
27-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Oh crap.
I have both a business and no money.

You are not the only one!

If you stick to your principles and 'too' ethical, you can't be a 'successful' businessman (woman). That's life in the raw.

wainuitech
27-12-2009, 10:22 AM
No body will say that it is wrong, if, it's done ETHICALLY.

There're too many 'rich' businessman out there doing un-ethical activiites. I'm not say that MS belongs to this group but MS is just GREEDY, tooooo greedy! There are a LOT more greedy companies than microsoft - take the richest in the world - petrol companies - Use the product (petrol in your car) and its gone - then you need more -- Hell someone only needs to sneeze and the price goes up.

MS / Gates gives away billions of $ every year to charity's & health related organizations - thats not greed.

Lurking
28-12-2009, 02:10 PM
There are a LOT more greedy companies than microsoft - take the richest in the world - petrol companies - Use the product (petrol in your car) and its gone - then you need more -- Hell someone only needs to sneeze and the price goes up.

MS / Gates gives away billions of $ every year to charity's & health related organizations - thats not greed.

WT, two different outcomes here:

1) Oil is finite and getting more expensive to explore for.

2) MS is giving away part of your retail price to charity and MS is a captured market to boot.

Oil does not have to be upgraded to the same extent either.

Lurking.

wainuitech
28-12-2009, 03:26 PM
What people do and what is written in the EULA can be different - if a person was taken to court in breach of agreement, that person could be fined - just because they think "what should happen" may not in fact be correct -Then go crying fowl.