PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Terminator

Driftwood
23-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I recently installed spyware terminator on 3 systems here.
After complaints from other users I have reverted 2 of them back to SuperAntispyware. On the other system which is used only by myself, I have tryed to adjust the settings so it is not so intrusive. Today I finally gave up on this one as well. I found it similar to the UAC poking it's nose in all the time. Am I the only one to find this or have I been setting it up wrong.

pctek
23-12-2009, 02:46 PM
You can install it without having it's resident thingy active. Disable the Security Guard.

Driftwood
23-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Would it then be any better than Super Antispyware & would it keep prompting to enable the resident sheild?

wainuitech
23-12-2009, 05:31 PM
On all my PC's I have spyware terminator, the only time I get any prompts is when I install some software. You can disable the web security guard.

If you are getting a warning about items not being activated, simply click in the box on the bottom left, not to check anymore and click close. Is this the warning (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Spyware_terminator_Warning.jpg) - if so tick as shown /described. BTW I never install the crawler toolbar either.

Driftwood
23-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I actually had it on my own system for several months with no problems. It's only since I changed to MSSE that I started having problems.

wainuitech
23-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Must admit never had any problems ( or none people have complained about) with Spyware Terminator & MSSE.

If you go into the Realtime protection This is how I set them up (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Sheilds.jpg) - if you click on the shields button,tick custom, you can adjust to suit what you want it to do.

SuperAntispyware is good software as well, but I find it a bit of a system hog on some PC's.

Driftwood
23-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Ah, must be a user induced problem then. I'll have another look at it.

ktee
24-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I had nothing but problems with Spyware terminator, not the application itself, but what it did to I/E pages. I couldn't refresh, or get new pgs up, would have to reboot all the time. After removing it I haven't had to reboot for months. I have little computer technical knowledge and that I think is the problem. I didn't understand the prompt messages of what it was asking me to allow. I said no to practically everthing unless it was obviously microsoft. And I guess I just couldnt tell, so lack of knowledge
is a definite prob. How you know what to allow I dont know. But when it was working during day it was good it stopped heaps of rubbish.

wainuitech
24-12-2009, 04:19 PM
That is a big problem for most programs that ask for permission to allow apps, some try to do it for you, and end up blocking items that need to run.

Sometimes they pop up with strange looking named files, and yeah, unless you know or have a good idea what they are sometimes a person clicks the wrong button. Some programs are better than others at naming the file, some are obvious some aren't.

Only time I get prompts is when installing an App - so its obvious to allow it, or in ST case switch to install mode - only other times is when some site tries to install something - ST stops it.

ktee
24-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Wondering if people driftwood said were having probs with Spyware work in the paranoid mode as I do (ie they'll get in and wreck my computer). Soo I disconnect from broadband everynight. Cant remember if I got one of the 'I didnt understand' messages just after I did that or first thing in the morning when I logged on again. It was one or the other, either way I didnt allow it.