PDA

View Full Version : Help Reinstalling WindowsXP in EEEPC 701

Groovvy
23-12-2009, 11:13 AM
My friend gave me this computer to see if i can format and reinstall windows XP in his ASUS 701 EEEPC. Apparently its crashing and have all sorts of problems.

Anyway, i have formatted and installed XP lots of time on my desktop and laptops, all of which have CDROMs in it. This one doesnt have it.

Also as it has smaller harddrive and all, so i think i need to install a strip down version of XP in it. Right?

He doesnt have any software, but i have an original Windows XP which i could use to strip it down.

But what software i need to do that? Also after that do i install XP via USB stick?
Also i guess after reinstalling XP, can i get the system drivers from Asus website?

So could some please let me know how i go about it?

Thanks, Any links, help would be appreciated.

KarameaDave
23-12-2009, 11:20 AM
instructions here
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxp
here
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1888
and here
http://www.eeesite.net/2007/12/how-to-trim-and-install-windows-xp.html:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2009, 11:20 AM
How big is the hdd? You could use Nlite, to remove whatever, and add whatever. Just make sure you dont remove things that are needed. Otherwise, XP may not install properly. Or you may have probs after XP has been installed

Groovvy
23-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks..will give it a try...

pcuser42
23-12-2009, 12:05 PM
nLite is the program to use. Be aware though: if you don't know what it is, leave it alone.

You will need an external CD drive, or if you want to, you can install it from a flash drive. (I didn't.)

Groovvy
23-12-2009, 12:19 PM
nLite is the program to use. Be aware though: if you don't know what it is, leave it alone.

You will need an external CD drive, or if you want to, you can install it from a flash drive. (I didn't.)

Hi, I do not have an external CD drive. But have some Flash drives lying around. Can i use them to skin the XP and install it via that? Is it very difficult?

Also i have never used NLITE before. What are some of things i need to remove or should NOT remove?

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2009, 12:29 PM
The flash drives would have to be bootable, and the system would have to support booting from whatever. It probably wont, if there's nothing to boot from on it. I would check the BIOS on it first, to see if the boot menu has anything in it to boot from. You would need a cd or something. Since it creates an ISO once you delete / add whatever. and you'll have to burn it

pcuser42
23-12-2009, 12:29 PM
On a netbook, it's a good idea to disable System Restore as it takes a lot of space. I didn't bother removing very many drivers, they're not huge anyway. You can remove anything you want as long as you don't need it - nLite prevents you from removing things if you say you need them.

I removed all the languages except English New Zealand (you can't remove English US) and all keyboard layouts except US International.

See http://www.pctipsbox.com/installing-windows-xp-using-a-usb-flash-drive/ for flash drive instructions.

EDIT: Speedy, Eee's can boot from flash drives if they are bootable.

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2009, 12:37 PM
yup, I removed all langs except English, netmeeting, the games, put the key in to save me putting it in during the install. Added SATA drivers to it. If AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. Then added most of the updates and .net files. Saves me adding them after XP has been installed

jcr1
23-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I have done this and it works:nerd:

Here is a link to an nlite tutorial;

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/12/this-tutorial-will-show-you-how-to-slim.html

and here is the one I used for preparing the usb stick;

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html

pcuser42
23-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Added SATA drivers to it. If AHCI is enabled in the BIOS.

The SSD appears as an IDE drive. XP installed fine without any additional drivers.

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I mean for normal windows xp

mzee
23-12-2009, 06:28 PM
We have 4 Asus Eee701 pc's in the house. Amazing little computers.
One has the original Xandros Linux in it which is very good, you can download it and install with a USB thumb. Ubuntu also have a Linux version for the Eee701. The Bios will boot from any external device.

One of the others has a standard version of XP home, another has a chopped version of XP pro which still leaves 1gig free on the 4gig drive, despite having Microsoft Office and a lot of other software.

The last one has Windows 7 which has a problem because the drive is too small for a big swap file. I could increase the RAM but it is only an experiment. The software is on a 8gig SD Camera card.

Your best and easiest way is to go Linux.

pcuser42
23-12-2009, 06:36 PM
The last one has Windows 7 which has a problem because the drive is too small for a big swap file. I could increase the RAM but it is only an experiment. The software is on a 8gig SD Camera card.

I upgraded my XP netbook (also an Eee 701) to 2GB of RAM and then disabled the swap file completely. The computer runs just fine without it. Even when I had Vista on it briefly it ran decently without it.

Groovvy
24-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I have done this and it works:nerd:

Here is a link to an nlite tutorial;

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/12/this-tutorial-will-show-you-how-to-slim.html

and here is the one I used for preparing the usb stick;

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html

Thanks for the links. I have tried it last night and made the SLIM XP via the NLITE software. Took me a while but finally did it. :stare::stare:

But when i was at the 'Preparing the flash drive" Step 12, i got an error saying ""the windows installation files are not correct or some sort like that.""

Anyway to make things easier and make it work...i just used the WINTOFLASH program and put my windows xp software in it..and then it made the USB FLASH DRIVE with complete WINDOWS XP. (sorry about the caps).

So i followed the instructions and formatted the Asus 701 ok. and when it started copying the setup files...its started this morning at 6.45AM and its still copying now at 11AM and its at 86% of copies files.

Does it really take that long to copy files?

Also did any1 try downloading the WINDOWS XP LITE stuff off the net? and do they work??? (sorry..can i ask that on here? hehehe)

Thanks.

pcuser42
24-12-2009, 11:26 AM
So i followed the instructions and formatted the Asus 701 ok. and when it started copying the setup files...its started this morning at 6.45AM and its still copying now at 11AM and its at 86% of copies files.

Does it really take that long to copy files?

It shouldn't, but it can. Even when my netbook is in install mode (which reverts the USB ports to 1.1), it still 'only' takes a couple of hours to fully install.

jcr1
24-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the links. I have tried it last night and made the SLIM XP via the NLITE software. Took me a while but finally did it. :stare::stare:

It's really time consuming isn't it. Just about drove me "gaga". And I had to go through it twice as the first time I "stuffed up".

Anyway, sounds like you're there now:thumbs:

Groovvy
27-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks to everybody for all the advice.
I have finally finished installing the XP in the ASUS 701 PC and it works all good.

Now i have started installing the drivers, which i downloaded all from the Asus support website. I have installed all the chipset, VGA, audio, wireless and so on.
Everything installed fine.

Except the LAN drivers. When i try to install it via setup file, i get the following error:

"Installer cant find the Atheros AR8121/AR113/AR8114 ethernet controller on your system"

I have tried googling it but didnt have much luck. I have also made sure that the LAN is enabled in the BIOS.

Please help. Thanks again.

pcuser42
27-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I used the driver on the DVD, and it worked fine.

Groovvy
27-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I used the driver on the DVD, and it worked fine.

hey, unfortunately this is my friends 701 and he had lost the DVD it came with it.
Maybe too much to ask but are u able to provide me a link for the drivers? or email if you dont mind?

I just tried google to find drivers as well and it keeps pointing to Asus website. And my friend said that his LAN was working when he gave me his 701 to fix it.
So i doubt its a hardware issue.

pcuser42
27-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I've got the drivers on DVD. PM me with your email address and I'll send you that one driver.