PDA

View Full Version : Genuine OEM needing activation message

theoldfarter
22-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I have had my Asus N50Vn Notebook for one year. Just now, I noticed in the Control Panel/System, under windows Activation, it says "3 day(s) until automatic activation. Activate windows now".

When I click on it, a box opens & at the top it says "The Windows Vista Ultimate product key you typed is invalid for activation"
I have never typed any key. As a mater of fact, this is the first time I had looked at that panel for many, many months.

Options presented are:
Buy a new product key online.
Type a different product key.
Contact ASUSTeK Computer Inc to resolve this problem.

They are closed at the moment so I will phone them tomorrow.

Does anyone know what has happened?

The only thing I can think of, is that I have used Acronis True Image a couple of times in the past few months & maybe that may have something to do with it?

wainuitech
22-12-2009, 08:46 PM
What version of Vista is actually on / came with the notebook - was it actually Ultimate ???

What does the version of Vista say on the COA that will be on the back of the Notebook.Try using that if its the same version, if not try putting it in anyway, as when it says "product key you typed is invalid for activation" it means you either have to activate it Via phone or speak to a Microsoft Rep. ( had that the other day - phone activation worked as it should)

You will need to enter in a code via phone, if it doesn't accept it, you then have the option to speak to a real person - then explain what has happened, they will help. you will end up someplace over seas :)

Asus wont be able to help, they will say its a MS problem and to contact them.

Microsoft are open 24/7 their contact phone number is 0800 676 334

gary67
22-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm with Wainui call MS

theoldfarter
22-12-2009, 09:35 PM
The Notebook came preinstalled with Vista Ultimate x86 version & in the course of the year, I have updated it to SP2.
I also keep it updated through Windows Update.

Any thoughts as to why this has happened?

It may have been saying the 3 day thingy for ages & is stuck in that mode. LOL

I'll try Microsoft. Hope I don't get in a loop between Asus & Microsoft. LOL

On the COA there is 5 groups of numbers/letters, with no OEM in them. In the activation part in control panel/system, there is 3 groups of numbers, no letters, plus OEM.

wainuitech
22-12-2009, 10:19 PM
The groups of 5 letters and numbers are the ones you want.

You wont get into a loop with asus & MS -- Asus will simply say its MS's problem contact them.

Edited: when you open the system, you should have the words change product key down the bottom As highlighted here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Change_key.jpg) - then you click that and get This window (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Change_key11261474259.jpg) - enter in the new key, and see if it activates, if not then thats when you call Microsoft - there will be a set of numbers you enter in Via the phone, if its invalid for any reason, you then talk to a real person, not an answering machine and tell them what happened and they should activate it by giving you a new set of numbers to enter.

theoldfarter
22-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Thank you for that information, I shall do it tomorrow as I'm dead tired right now & am off to bed.

theoldfarter
23-12-2009, 12:17 PM
All fixed, Just entered the number/letter group on the COA & it activated.

Prior to that. I phoned Microsoft this morning (on another 0800 number) & spoke to a Tech. He did not know why my year old OEM now needed activation.
He said entering the COA numbers/letters would not work.
I was to phone the Automated Activation 0800 that Wainuitech posted.

I then phoned Asus & the Tech there just repeated what Microsoft had said.
He said that this sort of problem used to happen quite often in the past, but not so much nowadays.
He said either I did a Factory Restore from the supplied Discs or go through the phone activation.

Having nothing to loose, I tried entering the COA info.

Amazing isn't it, that two Techs from different firms says entering the COA info won't work, when following your advice to the contrary, it worked ... go figure.LOL

Thanks for you assistance, much appreciated.
A merry Xmas to you both :)

wainuitech
23-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Amazing isn't it, that two Techs from different firms says entering the COA info won't work, when following your advice to the contrary, it worked ... go figure.LOL :lol: Thats called been there done that - you have nothing to lose by entering the code.

Its also a case the "real techs" not the phone jockeys have seen this many times. Through no fault of their own or lack of skills ( sometimes),the help desk people generally have to go by the book, as in a set procedure.

People like myself have a different book :p

Glad it worked out Ok for you. :thumbs:

wratterus
23-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah +1 Wainui. :D

Seen this plenty of times myself - when you are talking to a trained baboon, always assume you know better. When they put you onto the cheif baboon, then you start listening. :lol:

fred_fish
23-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Funniest thing I overheard a friend talking to helpdesk and having reached the end of useful dialog:
"Have a look on your flowchart for the correct procedure to F#$# OFF AND FIND SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT."

Needless to say, no more "help" was forthcoming from that desk ...

theoldfarter
25-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I was sent an email by an agent of Microsoft, asking me to complete a survey on my call to Microsoft's help line. When I got to the part which asked how Microsoft could improve their service to me, this is what I posted (had to trim it down by 156 letters as it turned out there was a 1024 text limit... that's poor)

"My 12 month old OEM Notebook suddenly started to count down the days left until Vista had to be activated.

I posted the problem in the PressF1 forum here http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=106018
A computer tech there said to enter the number/letter group on the Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) on the bottom of the notebook. The operator at Microsoft said that would not fix my problem & to phone the Automated Activation phone number.

I phoned Asus customer service & they told me that entering the number would not work & I would need to do a factory restore from the restore discs.

I entered the COA number & guess what ... it activated & is still activated.

The service from both Microsoft & Asus was abysmal.
Read mine & the others comments at the link I enclosed & you will now exactly what transpired. I copied & pasted the whole thread into other forums that I am a member of.
Not the best of publicity for both Microsoft & Asus.

More training is needed to the telephone help desk."