PDA

View Full Version : help with reinstalling sound card & ethernet drivers

deno240
22-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I had to reinstall xp, I have dial up working fine, but there is no sound and I can't get broadband working. I have no idea what the model of the computer is as when I purchased it (second hand), it wasn't in the original case, so my guess is they had built the computer and then sold it. Anyway, from memory, it has something to do with the motherboard but I'm not sure where to find it. I have everest.. there's a motherboard ID but where it says Motherboard Name, it says Unknown..

I think the sound and network card are the only two problems that I'm aware of at the moment. So if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Open the case and look for a model on the mobo itself. If nothing else will tell you what the brand / model of the mobo is. Thats the only way youre going to find out what drivers to get and install. See if PCwizard tells you (http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php). You should also install the chipset drivers, once you find out what the mobo is. Or go intto the BIOS. Does it show the brand / model here. Or on the post screen? (press pause, once the info on the post screen appears)

SolMiester
22-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Until the motherboard chipset drivers are installed, everest will not be able to identify the other components in the computer.....
If I were you, I would remove the side panel and have a look for make and model and revision of the motherboard, it should be in the middle between the cpu and graphics card slot...

deno240
22-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Not sure if i've got it right.. but it says GIGABYTE in different places of the motherboard.. and underneath that it says GA-M68sm-s2l - So I install the drivers for the motherboard first?

SolMiester
22-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Not sure if i've got it right.. but it says GIGABYTE in different places of the motherboard.. and underneath that it says GA-M68sm-s2l - So I install the drivers for the motherboard first?

yes motherboard 1st, reboot, ethernet, sound, reboot and graphics reboot

download drivers etc...
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2670

Blam
22-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes. You need the chipset drivers.

deno240
22-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Thank you, that's all sorted now.. but there is another problem,
Before I reinstalled windows xp, I had C drive which was around 40Gb which I mainly used for pictures and there was D drive which had around 110Gb on it which was loaded up with games, now that the OS has been reinstalled, it says C drive is 0gb / not valid, and D drive only has the same amount as C had on it before the reinstall..
Does anyone know why that is?

SolMiester
22-12-2009, 03:51 PM
What drive letter is the windows o/s on now?....and if you right click on my computer>manage>disk management, do you see more disk space without a drive letter?

deno240
22-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Xp is installed onto D drive, under disk management it says
Disk 0, D: 37.26gb
Disk 1, C, 111.78gb

But when I go into my computer and click C, it says 0 bytes free and 0 bytes used..

SolMiester
22-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Right, well, you have installed the new operating system on the remaining space of your old c: drive via a new partition now called D:....I would wipe and start again formatting the entire drive!. Did you backup any of your data?

deno240
22-12-2009, 04:14 PM
No nothing was backed up, had to start right from scratch again.

So how would I format the drive? Sorry I'm not good with computers at all.
Would I just do a clean install of xp.. as I had done before, or is there something else I need to do?

Agent_24
22-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes, just do a reinstall of XP the way you just did it, but when it comes to ask you where you want to install XP, and shows the partitions, delete them all first, then create one, and install to that.

deno240
22-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I did that in the first place, I pressed D then L to confirm, I did that on both C and D.

I've just done a bit google research which says you can convert to NTFS, so I'm formatting the C drive now which isn't being used and with some luck I'll be able to convert it without losing the data on the D drive.. if that doesn't work, then I guess I'll have to start from scratch again.

fred_fish
22-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I did that in the first place, I pressed D then L to confirm, I did that on both C and D.

That's the bit where it says "Your data will go away if you delete the partition, if you are really sure you have everything you wanted from this drive backed up, then go ahead and press L". :stare:

It may be possible to recover some of it with a bit of work, the less you use the drive the better, but in these cases your mileage is usually less than you hope... (especially now that you have installed windows to one and re-formatted the other, I would say approaching zero)