PDA

View Full Version : NexusOne Phone

johcar
22-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Google's new HTC-based Android phone being launched in January. Unlocked, 3G and sold direct rather than through a carrier. All you will need is a SIM card...

You going to trade your iPhone in Chill?

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Tempted, have been doing lots of reading up on it :D

IMO Google can do no evil, so yeah ;)

Edit: Wait Jan? Source plz?

johcar
22-12-2009, 03:56 PM
A family member works for Google in Sydney - he's raving about his test unit. Used to run a Palm Treo...

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Im all ears for info :D Been doing a little reading up about it, but not a lot so far to be honest.

Is that aussie release, or international? Will it do both 850 & 900mhz frequencies? :D

johcar
22-12-2009, 11:19 PM
International release, not sure about the frequencies yet, but definitely 3G.

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Just thought I'd bump this up, and yes apparently it'll work on 850 / 900. Hanging for the press conference on 5/01/2010 :D

pine-o-cleen
04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Care to share some links?

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 11:50 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/185423/googles_nexus_one_details_what_we_know_so_far.html

http://news.google.co.nz/news?rlz=1C1GGLS_enNZ359NZ359&sourceid=chrome&q=nexus+one&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&ei=9h5BS_e8OYGAswP2q_HIBA&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQsQQwAA

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 06:48 PM
IT's official! http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/02/exclusive-google-nexus-one-hands-on-video-and-first-impressio/

pine-o-cleen
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
~$530 USD. Meh.

Nomad
04-01-2010, 08:00 PM
~$530 USD. Meh.

Cheaper than an iPhone. On par with many adv phones :D
These days the latest and greatest gadgets if they are under $1,000 they may provoke a look.

I am interested to know about GPS. I take it works with Google Earth and how is tracking and navigation on it? Ie., can you set a goal and tell me how to get there? I take that it is still expensive to use - mobile data, provided it has downloadable maps, no true GPS so it needs aGPS?

I gotten used to the GPS devices a fixed price provided you don't need newer or other maps you can reuse the item for yrs and it is free. Nokia that I have don't even tell you the route to get there let alone voice guidance, after paying $500+ for a phone, you pay mobile data, then you pay $100/yr for navigation every year. :waughh:

Better yet, take it overseas on roaming and pay that way :thumbs:
I can understand it takes money to create the maps and software but how about some fairness.

pine-o-cleen
04-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Cheaper than an iPhone. On par with many adv phones :D
These days the latest and greatest gadgets if they are under $1,000 they may provoke a look.

$530.00 USD = $730.091 NZD. I really don't think it would be worth my time. My $199 phone does most of what it can do, so is the technological difference really worth $500? I don't think so.

Nomad
04-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh I read it has Google Map for GPS and free turn by turn navigation guidance.

Not bad when Nokia and others that rip you off making them pay for guidance subscription not a once off fee but a daily / yearly membership subscription.
I would still argue mobile data may still be required and that might mean international roaming when one travels :lol:

It is an advanced phone. Targetted for those....

Erayd
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
If I can get hold of it here, I'll be getting one. The specs are amazingly good!

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah pretty much, same here, depending on what my iPhone will fetch on TradeMe vs brand-new Nexus One price ;)

jamesyboi
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
:2cents: The Snapdragon CPU and high ram sets it apart from the competition but not much else, besides it's from our beloved corporate, Google.

You can buy HTC Dream, Magic (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=262942069), and Hero and they will do pretty much the same stuff and a pretty good speed. I mean, the faster CPU is more of a technical specification than a feature, its what the phone does that counts.

"Any computer given enough time and memory can compute the same problem" - or something like that ^^.

720p video recording would be good though! The HTC Camera's aren't that great so far.. The only thing that puts me off from buying it immediately is the thought of something better coming out later - which is always the case :p

Anyway, all will be revealed shortly. I'm sure they'll have some surprises up their sleeves

Sweep
06-01-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm curious now.

Do people use these phones for making voice calls?

Erayd
06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
:2cents: The Snapdragon CPU and high ram sets it apart from the competition but not much else...You forgot the AMOLED screen - that one's also a biggie in my book.

You can buy HTC Dream, Magic (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=262942069), and Hero and they will do pretty much the same stuff and a pretty good speed. I mean, the faster CPU is more of a technical specification than a feature, its what the phone does that counts.I think you're missing the point slightly - when you buy a phone like this, you're not buying it because you want a phone - you're actually buying a mobile computer. As such, specs matter, particularly if you want to install more software on it.

It's also worth remembering that Android (unlike iPhone OS) allows multitasking, so it's not hard to make full use of the resources available. Lots of ram, a fast CPU and a power-efficient screen are 'features' in exactly the same way as they would be on a notebook PC, and desirable for the same reasons too.

"Any computer given enough time and memory can compute the same problem" - or something like that ^^.Sure... but who wants to wait that long :rolleyes:?

720p video recording would be good though! The HTC Camera's aren't that great so far..Apparantly the Nexux One camera isn't that bad, although it's obviously still not as good as a standalone digital camera.

The only thing that puts me off from buying it immediately is the thought of something better coming out later - which is always the case :pIt's like buying a PC - there's *always* something better coming out later; it's just a question of deciding when to jump.

I'm curious now.

Do people use these phones for making voice calls?I'm buying it as a mobile computer rather than as a phone, although I'm certainly pleased that it can act as a phone - saves me from carrying another device. Yes, I will use it for voice calls, but not many.

KarameaDave
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
It looks a capable machine, might even tempt me to join the mobile phone era!:cool:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/01/photo-gallery-googles-nexus-one.ars

Nomad
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Now thinking more about GPS, I have a car one and a haneheld hiking one and a Nokia.

I think in NZ roads don't change as much as overseas, get one unit, and you are set for good. Car if you drive a lot, hiking one if you walk and a lot etc. Or both, car isn't designed for walk given, non removable battery and short life.

In terms of going overseas:
The google is tempting, pay only mobile data - prepaid simcard overseas sourced locally, free maps and map turn by turn navigation, stick the headphones in and hey.

That said, even Nokia (free GPS) paying mobile data and then paying navigation that might be $5/day or $50/month (guessing) that is not too bad, within the travel expenses. Alternatively the no frills approach - no setting destination with green line, no search func, just use the map and look at your current location and make you own way around .... just pay mobile data.

Or likewise a true GPS ($400-600 device) plus $100-300 for extra map - the more expensive approach.

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.google.com/phone

Question is when can I get one :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6COwgigJ-g

Nomad
06-01-2010, 05:42 PM
TV1 News 6pm has something on it, saw the preview :D

Must admit, phones these days have gotten heavier and larger than the good old days Nokia 8210 and Motorola V etc.

KarameaDave
06-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Question is when can I get one :(
+1 That add on you-tube has got me wanting one!:drool
Shiny......My Precious.:D

plod
06-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Tv3 news said that phones purchased over seas won't work in NZ. Doesn't sound right, bummer if true

johcar
06-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Looks great, but the only thing that is preventing a decision in favour of the NexusOne is the Android Market (http://www.android.com/market/).

The website appears to have bugger-all in the way of apps, but:

"For a comprehensive, up-to-date list of the thousands of titles that are available, you will need to view Android Market on a handset."

But I want to know in advance that there are apps to replicate what I have on my Treo: ringtone manager (MRing), time/expenses/mileage (Alltime), ebook reader (eReader), vehicle fuel recorder (FuelLog), shopping list (SplashShopper), and video player (CorePlayer) - there may be more that I haven't listed.

So how can I find out if I want to upgrade, if I don't know what is out there??? I don't want to fork out five or six hundred bucks, to find that there isn't a replacement/equivalent available for one of my key apps...

So far I have been able to find equivalent apps for the iPhone, but I'd rather not deal with Big Red if I can avoid it.

plod
06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
not all apps are available on all phones due to different hardware.

Nomad
06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Tv1 had the new apple tablet, pretty cool but in NZ we'll need better broadband first. All boils down to money, money for the device and money for other stuff and more money each year to keep upgrading it ... :stare:

johcar
06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
not all apps are available on all phones due to different hardware.

I realise this - I'm happy to settle for an equivalent, but how do I find out if one is available unless I buy a handset first!?!??!

johcar
06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Tv3 news said that phones purchased over seas won't work in NZ. Doesn't sound right, bummer if true

Total bullshit. Whoever the journalist is/was obviously doesn't understand technology. Sounds like they've been fed a line by one or more incumbents in NZ who are trying to protect their market....

Nomad
06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Total bullshit. Whoever the journalist is/was obviously doesn't understand technology. Sounds like they've been fed a line by one or more incumbents in NZ who are trying to protect their market....

To some that might mean blocking althou one can unblock it that's unorthodox.

plod
06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I realise this - I'm happy to settle for an equivalent, but how do I find out if one is available unless I buy a handset first!?!??!

That I'm not sure about, it could be hit and miss. I would say that the nexus would and should be the be all of android phones, and if an app is worth having it would have to work on the nexus. Not sure what the TV3 journo was on about, maybe they asked telecom if it would work on their network?

Nomad
06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I am guessing that Apple may hold onto their dominance. IMO, no matter how good the tech is, if the mass are not going to take it up, then you have a lack of apps and things like that. I think that Apple will survive b/c it has much more appeal to the masses who may not be really IT people.

plod
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Tv1 had the new apple tablet, pretty cool but in NZ we'll need better broadband first. All boils down to money, money for the device and money for other stuff and more money each year to keep upgrading it ... :stare:

So TV1 managed to get their hands on a rumored device, that only exists in speculation? From one of the most secretive tech companies.

KarameaDave
06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
So TV1 managed to get their hands on a rumored device, that only exists in speculation? From one of the most secretive tech companies.
Used their time machine no doubt!:D

plod
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I am guessing that Apple may hold onto their dominance. IMO, no matter how good the tech is, if the mass are not going to take it up, then you have a lack of apps and things like that. I think that Apple will survive b/c it has much more appeal to the masses who may not be really IT people.

If google keep their promise of an open platform, and phones aren't locked to a single carrier, the nexus might trump the iphone, android as a OS is definitely making grounds on the iphone as far as market share is concerned

Nomad
06-01-2010, 07:12 PM
If google keep their promise of an open platform, and phones aren't locked to a single carrier, the nexus might trump the iphone, android as a OS is definitely making grounds on the iphone as far as market share is concerned

Couldn't a reseller put a lock on the phone when they sell it ie., cellular phone plans. Or else full price open plan. In otherwords it is up to the reseller right?

paulw
06-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Go to here the Google online store and you will be told

http://www.google.com/phone/?locale=en_US&s7e=

"Sorry, the Nexus One phone is not available in your country."

Just like the Kindle huh?? Seems the world release of this fone is US and some of Europe only.

Here is the wireless tech info.

Cellular & Wireless

UMTS Band 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900)

HSDPA 7.2Mbps

HSUPA 2Mbps

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

A2DP stereo Bluetooth

Guess it's 3G for NZ is 900 / 2100 only. Good for Vodafone but not Telecom or 2D

Nomad
06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
One can always import one or get on holiday not that I am thou .... :D

Renmoo
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
What I hope with Google's latest invention is that they will maintain the simplicity of their device naming. For instance, they can call the next Nexus phone "Nexus Two" rather than Nexus 1001, just like iPhone being known as the original iPhone or the latest 3GS. In contrast, you get endless models being released by Nokia which are roaming in the market as Nokia XXXX etc.

2 cents

jamesyboi
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
- Classic Jounalism annoys me how they dumb down facts and twist truths like this. I'd trust twitter feeds and web reports over TVNZ anyday.

You forgot the AMOLED screen - that one's also a biggie in my book.
- Does this mean it's more scratch resiliant? After reading the Engadget review I learnt that the OLED has poorer brightness in sunshine and orange and green colours are over emphasized. On a random note, my HTC Magic is crystal clear in even the brightest sunshine, and I think it's because of my InvisibleShield screen protector it somehow makes the display shine =).

-another note: Apparently you can buy the nexus one if you use an American IP proxy. I got as far as the checkout screen but then it doesn't load the webpage - need a better proxy if you can suggest one

Nomad
06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
But will it work? After all, at the moment Google is sort of doing exactly what decries: it's offering an excellent phone through an exclusive channel tied to a single carrier. Later this spring the Nexus One will be available on Verizon's network, but it's harder to sell unlocked CDMA phones (Verizon's technology) because they don't use removable SIM cards found in phones based on the GSM family of standards. So that phone might well be tied to a two-year Verizon contract, and Verizon confirmed Tuesday that it won't be sold anywhere other than Google's store.

:rolleyes: Work in NZ?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10425935-94.html

Erayd
06-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Does this mean it's more scratch resiliant?No - it's still glass as far as I'm aware - the display type has nothing to do with scratch resistance (although the touch-sensing technology does). It should have similar scratch-resistance to the iPhone.

The real benefit to the OLED screen is power-efficiency; they're a lot better than an LCD because they don't require a battery-leeching backlight. Each pixel is individually lit, dark pixels consume less power than bright ones, and black pixels use (in practical terms) no power at all.

After reading the Engadget review I learnt that the OLED has poorer brightness in sunshine...Technically incorrect, but it can seem that way because unlike an LCD screen, an OLED screen *cannot* be front-lit. With a standard LCD, if you use it in full sunshine, front-lighting will help you see what's on the screen. With an OLED screen, you're limited to the brightness of the individual pixels.

...and orange and green colours are over emphasized.This is subjective - OLED screens will generally give far better colour rendition than most LCDs, because they don't use a backlight.

..and I think it's because of my InvisibleShield screen protector it somehow makes the display shine =).Trust me on this, your screen protector cannot increase the brightness of your display :rolleyes:.

Apparently you can buy the nexus one if you use an American IP proxy. I got as far as the checkout screen but then it doesn't load the webpage - need a better proxy if you can suggest oneYou'll still need a US shipping address - makes more sense to either wait for it, or get a US-based friend to buy it on your behalf.

jamesyboi
06-01-2010, 09:58 PM
hah, anyway, if you take a look at geekzone (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=97&topicid=55452&page_no=3) I've already ordered mine using a surrogate US address from shipito

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=32997

850 / 2100 for XT, seems fine to me?

I'm gonna try my luck then :D nice work!

paulw
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=32997

850 / 2100 for XT, seems fine to me?

I'm gonna try my luck then :D nice work!

Look at the specs again. UMTS Band 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900) NO 850 3G, only 900 and 2100

850 GSM yes but XT is not GSM..

plod
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
hah, anyway, if you take a look at geekzone (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=97&topicid=55452&page_no=3) I've already ordered mine using a surrogate US address from shipito
I see its up for sale now. Why so fast?

Chilling_Silence
09-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Yeah I've decided after everything to grin and bear an iPhone 3G with dying battery for another few months until a 4G comes out :)