PDA

View Full Version : Am I right in thinking Gmail does a virus check on ALL attatchments?

ssssss
22-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Do Gmail and all other mail providers do this?
Then Microsoft Security Essentials does it again before opening the attatchment doesn't it?
So one should be safe opening incoming attatchments.

Sweep
22-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't know that any mail provider does a virus or trojan check on attachments. Gmail and others attempt to filter spam though and some are better than others in that regard.

A decent virus checker should stop virus when you attempt to open the attachment but maybe not.

So don't opem attachments willy-nilly and scan them first.

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2009, 06:11 AM
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=25760
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=8493

JJJJJ
22-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Another associated question.
How do all the spammers get everyones gmail address?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 09:20 AM
You probably put it in a post or something somewhere online

nmercer
22-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Another associated question.
How do all the spammers get everyones gmail address?

often they guess

ie

a@
b@
c@
a1@
b1@
c1@

ssssss
22-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks Chilling Silence. Very helpful.

I didn't realize Gmail automatically blocked all .exe files

I thought it looked for viruses in them, before blocking.

Sweep
22-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Apparently Gmail blocks exe files contained within a zip file too which I was not aware of.

nedkelly
22-12-2009, 05:03 PM
little annoying when trying so send zips to your mate and it has an exe file in it.

zqwerty
22-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Try relabeling the .zip to .old then send it, get your mate to change it back to .zip once he has it on his computer, don't know if this will work now but it used to in the past.

sharonk868
23-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Do Gmail and all other mail providers do this?
Then Microsoft Security Essentials does it again before opening the attatchment doesn't it?
So one should be safe opening incoming attatchments.

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

[New members are welcome - spammers like you are the dregs of society. Get a decent honest job. Merry Xmas.]

ssssss
24-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

I only view PressF1 occasionally, but I am very grateful for the amazingly helpful community answering me. So good luck with your membership!

hueybot3000
24-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Try relabeling the .zip to .old then send it, get your mate to change it back to .zip once he has it on his computer, don't know if this will work now but it used to in the past.

Yep that works, thats how I send pretty much every zip file now. I use gmail through thunderbird as well doing that no problems

ssssss
24-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I am sorry I 'welcomed' Sharonk868 in my last post.

I didn't realize it was a spam attack!

gary67
24-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Don't worry about it sssss have a great Nelson Christmas

ssssss
24-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks gary67.

Hope you enjoy your tramping/caving

Safari
24-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't know that any mail provider does a virus or trojan check on attachments. Gmail and others attempt to filter spam though and some are better than others in that regard.

A decent virus checker should stop virus when you attempt to open the attachment but maybe not.

So don't opem attachments willy-nilly and scan them first.

Of course ISPs scan attachments, would be a bit pointless otherwise as that is where most email viruses reside.

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Untangle is *amazing* for it's transparent scanning ... ISP's should just whack up something like that to tag email transparently. Seriously, no configuration, it's absolutely marvellous!!!

Thus far in the deployment that I did a week or so ago, there's not been one single false detection yet!