PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 shared folder

bk T
21-12-2009, 10:05 PM
In XP & Vista, when a folder is shared, the symbol of a hand is shown holding the shared folder, but Win 7 seems to have this removed. How do we know which folder or file is shared in Win 7? I found that the hand symbol is very handy.

I seemed to have lost (forgot) my homegroup's password (Win 7), is there a way to remove this current homegroup and re-create a new homegroup?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Open computer, highlight homegroup on the left / right mouse / home settings or something. Select leave homegroup. Are you using more than 1 PC with windows 7 on it?? If you arent, I wouldnt bother using it. I would leave it off / disabled. Its only really used if you've got more than 1 computer, with Win7 on it

Blam
21-12-2009, 10:26 PM
One the PC which you creatyed the home group, do this:

1. Open the Control Panel (all items view), and click on the Network and Sharing Center icon.
2. Click on the Choose homegroup and sharing options link.
3. Click on the View or print homegroup password link.

Now you can view your password

Blam

bk T
21-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys, got the password sorted.

How about the sharing hand symbol? Is there any way to make it like XP or Vista to identify a shared folder/file?

gary67
22-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Right click the folder, choose properties - customise - icon then select the one you want

Coaster
22-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys, got the password sorted.

How about the sharing hand symbol? Is there any way to make it like XP or Vista to identify a shared folder/file?

I thought the hand was replaced with two small heads.

bk T
22-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Right click the folder, choose properties - customise - icon then select the one you want
No. In this way, you've to do it everytime a folder/file is shared. In XP it is done automatically when a folder is shared.

I thought the hand was replaced with two small heads.

You maybe right, but the 'two small' head symbol doesn't show! How to get it shown when a folder/file is shared?

Coaster
22-12-2009, 12:03 PM
How to get it shown when a folder/file is shared?

This normally does it.

bk T
22-12-2009, 12:32 PM
This normally does it.

Googled and noted that this feature has been removed from Win 7! Lots of users are annoyed with this removal! Have checked with 4 win 7 PCs and they're all without this feature.

Have to get a third party program to get it shown. Well, this is Microsoft!