PDA

View Full Version : Diesel vs petrol - how to purge the diesel?

Greg
21-12-2009, 06:57 PM
One of the cars in our family has run out of petrol. I want to drive to the fill-up station ( in another car of course) to get a 5 litre can of petrol to bring home to top up the tank.

The car runs on petrol.

The fuel can had about half a cup full of diesel in it, which I've since emptied onto weeds along the driveway.

My questions are.. will the residual diesel affect the petrol engine when I've filled the can with petrol and put it ito the car?

If yes... how best to rinse the can with petrol and get rid of the waste petrol/diesel?

I'm reluctant to fill the can with petrol and suck it out to reduce the amount of diesel residue and dispose of this waste at home. Also reluctant to pour more of the waste petrol/diesel rinsing fuel onto the driveway.

So, will the tiny bit of diesel have any adverse affect on the petrol-driven car?

Thanks.

prefect
21-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Nope that much diesel wont be a problem used to run David Brown 25 tractor on kero start on petrol. Kero not much different than diesel and kero will run in diesel engine the same as diesel.
Too much petrol in a diesel engine is a no no.

R2x1
21-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Try mopping it out with an old towel?

sam m
21-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I would guess there would be a bit of exhaust smoke as a result of the diesel contamination.

Billy T
22-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Even the 1/2 cup in 5 litres wouldn't have bothered it by the time you refilled the tank.

I've dumped old diesel into my tank in small amounts as an eco friendly way to dispose of it and never had smoke or any other problem. Same with old 2-stroke fuel, just wait till you are lowish on fuel, pour it in and go top up the tank.

No doubt SJ will pop up and tell me diesel will make my bonnet will fly off or an oxygen sensor will carbonise causing catastrophic engine failure, the ejector seat to explode or my wheels to fall off, but nothing has ever gone wrong yet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :2cents:

KarameaDave
22-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Probably work in your favour as an upper cylinder lubricant.

BobM
22-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Follow Billy T's idea 100%. Have seen it done many times in the past years, no problems.

tweak'e
22-12-2009, 03:24 PM
a little bit of diesel won't hurt. may drop the octane rating a fraction but thats about it.

2 stroke might actually help things. something thats doing the rounds on the net at the moment is putting 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel. makes it run a lot nicer.

Greg
22-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks folks. All is well.

LOL @ Billy.

And yeah, would be interesting to hear Joe's perspective anyway.

SurferJoe46
22-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Even the 1/2 cup in 5 litres wouldn't have bothered it by the time you refilled the tank.

I've dumped old diesel into my tank in small amounts as an eco friendly way to dispose of it and never had smoke or any other problem. Same with old 2-stroke fuel, just wait till you are lowish on fuel, pour it in and go top up the tank.

No doubt SJ will pop up and tell me diesel will make my bonnet will fly off or an oxygen sensor will carbonise causing catastrophic engine failure, the ejector seat to explode or my wheels to fall off, but nothing has ever gone wrong yet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :2cents:

Nope. This one you got right. It's a no-brainer and that small amount of diesel isn't gonna hurt anything.

You still may want to check your wheels anyway, Billy.

Greg
22-12-2009, 07:05 PM
On a further note, just out of interest... would some petrol mixed with diesel fuel affect a diesel engine adversly?

SurferJoe46
22-12-2009, 07:11 PM
On a further note, just out of interest... would some petrol mixed with diesel fuel affect a diesel engine adversly?

Ya gotta define "some" first.

Gasoline in a diesel engine isn't good after it gets to a higher concentration.

We used to take old gasoline and add a few quarts of engine oil to it and mix it at about 10% and add it to the diesel big rigs - more for getting rid of old drained engine oil than burning off the old gasoline.

Any time you can get something for free outta a waste product, then things are going the right way - if you follow me here.

A few cups full of gas in a 5-gallon Jerry can isn't gonna amount to much - but I'd stop there if the gas is fresh and volatile.

The problem is that gasoline is thinner in viscosity and has a lot less lubrication that the injectors and fuel pump need. Knocking would also be a problem after you hit the magic ratio of gasoline in the diesel.

R2x1
22-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Nope. This one you got right. It's a no-brainer and that small amount of diesel isn't gonna hurt anything.

You still may want to check your wheels anyway, Billy.
What? Are you going to let him cruise off into the sunset unaware that the diesel will de-phlogistonate his air supply? :help:
It has been known for many years that without phlogiston combustion will cease, much as Lucas will tirelessly paralyse electrons.

Shame on you. :mad:

SurferJoe46
22-12-2009, 07:29 PM
What? Are you going to let him cruise off into the sunset unaware that the diesel will de-phlogistonate his air supply? :help:
It has been known for many years that without phlogiston combustion will cease, much as Lucas will tirelessly paralyse electrons.

Shame on you. :mad:

You want a public micturition contest?

I've known people who have been de-phlogistonated and Billy isn't one of them.

Diminished personal air supply and peripheral necrosis aside, he doesn't qualify. I'd still check his wheel count.

tweak'e
22-12-2009, 08:46 PM

the lack of lube will stuff the pump. obviously how much is used and how often its done. also how do you know that your diesel hasn't already had petrol accidentally added to it already?
adding oil will help add lube to the diesel.
edit: some truck engines actually use the engine oil as fuel. that way they don't do oil changes, you just keep topping it up with fresh oil. however i think emissions regs will halt that idea.