PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook doesn't automatically connect to the internet?

01-08-2001, 01:38 PM
I am using Windows 98 and Microsoft Outlook for email. If I am offline and I compose and send an email I do not get a prompt to connect via my modem. The mail goes into the Outbox and stays there. I would like the prompt whenever I check email or when sending mail when I am offline as I used to with Win 95 and Outlook express.
Can anyone please help?

03-08-2001, 10:51 PM
Murray,
Try this.
Open OE and click on
TOOLS / OPTIONS / SEND
Check SEND MESSAGES IMMEDIATELY
Then click on APPLY / OK

Hope this works for you.

04-08-2001, 01:40 PM
...the suggestion provided by 'B O' will effect your desired outcome.

SECURITY TIP...be aware, however, that with this function enabled, *everyone* in your Address Book is exposed and vulnerable to any virus you receive which automatically mails itself on to the Contacts listed there.

With the function disabled (as it is at present) you will at least be forewarned - because the Virus infected messages can be viewed in your Outbox, waiting to be sent.

This tip also applies to Outlook Express.

e_

06-08-2001, 12:11 PM
I have the same problem with Outlook 2000. Outlook Express has the setting that is refered to, but the closest Outlook has is 'Send messages immidiately when connected'. So i guess if your not connected it won't connect automatically.
Even when a message is in the Outbox and I click Send and Receive it doesn't get sent. I have to go into Outbox and go Tools > Send.
The connection I use for e-mail is not the default connection so that may not help.

06-08-2001, 10:33 PM
e_Name,
True, but if you are worried about a virus sending to all your address book contacts, you should probably also go to TOOLS / OPTIONS / GENERAL and uncheck SEND AND REMOVE MESSAGES AT STARTUP.
But all PressF1 OE users shouldn't have too much trouble with viruses because they have: OE in their Restricted Zone, with everything disabled or high security;
A good antivirus program, set up correctly, with the latest updates;
They always scan attachments before opening;
They use common sense and still have a sense of humour.

B O