PDA

View Full Version : NAS Permissions

wainuitech
21-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Got a slight problem with This NAS device (http://www.digitus.info/en/products/network/?c=2037&p=6030) --when ever a Windows 7 or Vista PC tries to access or write files to the device via the LAN, it comes up with an error message saying you don't have permission contact your system administrator etc...

You can access the user interface Via W7/Vista, and make changes, but thats all.

Its been working perfectly on the persons PC's for the last year on Vista with no problems.

I've installed the latest firmware ( vista compatible) , reset all permissions (never had any to start with) - tried creating permissions, reset to factory defaults but no setting is allowing Vista or W7. Can ping it by name and IP address fine with W7 & Vista.

Windows XP on the other hand - straight in no problems.:confused:

wainuitech
21-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Bit of an update, it is a work around, but not really the answer - if you go into "Computer" ( W7 or Vista) map a network drive - assign a drive letter, it will allow you access to the drives folders. BUT still not Via Network.

Seems its a common problem - appears to be some security issue with W7 & vista -- Damn MS patching (breaking) thins again :p

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Kill UAC see if that fixes it. That fixed all of my access probs :p

wainuitech
21-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Not active ( UAC) Ive goggled the Eror message (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Error.jpg) and its number -- Thats when I tried the map network drive bit. It is a work around to the files, BUT its also a backup drive so it needs LAN access. This doesn't work either (http://www.downloadatoz.com/windows-registry/faq,get-rid-of-error-1208-to-access-nas-in-windows-7-by-using-windows-registry.html) :angry

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 06:32 PM
What drivers if any did you install?? It looks like this guy had the same prob and error (http://www.w7forums.com/problems-accessing-nas-windows-7-a-t198.html)

The 3rd page, one guy said this

The difficulty is caused by Windows7 security credentials blocking access to the drive. The simple work around is to map the share using the Administrators account and password thus:-

Enter the \\server\share-name in the map drive box and click on the Connect using different credentials box. When prompted for user and password enter "Administrator" and use the password you used to set up this account when you installed Windows7. You will need to leave the password field blank when you create the share account on the network drive.

Another said:

W7 x64 RTM

iomega home network drive NAS

\\NAS1\users this works (no password set)
\\NAS1\media fails miserably with error 1208

Does it have or use a workgroup name?? If it does, is it the same as the PC's that are trying to access it?

wainuitech
21-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Mapping the network drive works perfectly, but still not Via the LAN.( it sees the drive, but won't allow access) -- Its a backup storage for 4 PC's, some have XP and they can access fine, the ones on Vista or my own W7's all turn to sh1t.

I can access the drive perfectly if I fire up XP on a workshop PC. Tried all the normal standard fault finding stuff that I can think of.

Dinner time :D

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Have you checked for updates? a guy here (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/6910664b-90b1-4e28-b0ba-0b7ea57b4d9d) some update installed in Win7, and that fixed the prob

wainuitech
21-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah mate the PC's are all upto date - maybe thats the problem :lol: - it was working perfectly until MS put out some patches, but I don't know which ones, apart from the fact they are for W7 & Vista. NOT XP.

I have found a work around - while it will work its not really a "fix" -I'd still like to get it working correctly.

The workaround is in the backup software manually type in the backup location \\storage\backups.

I can map the network drive for browsing the folders contents, or entering the address in any web browser - but its not ideal.

Going through network is a lot easier for these people.

CYaBro
21-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Not sure what your problem is but I had a similar problem with a Win7 Pro machine trying to access shares on a Win2k Pro box.
It just kept prompting for a username & password and wouldn't accept the ones I set on the Win2k box.
Never did get it going.
Other machines on the network, XP and and old Win98SE box could access the Win2k box without a problem.

wainuitech
21-12-2009, 10:47 PM
From what I gather, its something to do with the sharing properties in the older systems XP, 98 etc - its as if W7 cant read them, or more to the point is trying to read something thats not there.

Found this which kind of explains it:
Unfortunately, many NAS devices as well as older versions of linux do not understand the newer encryption methods. This keeps you from being able to access these devices.The solution is to force Windows 7 is to use the older encryption methods. To do that, follow these steps: the article (http://www.downloadatoz.com/windows-registry/faq,get-rid-of-error-1208-to-access-nas-in-windows-7-by-using-windows-registry.html) - BUT even after doing this W7 still wont access the NAS Via network ,only through a mapped drive.

Gordon_P
21-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I seem to have the exact same problem only in reverse. I have a network called workgroup which has 4 computers using Vista and 2 computers using XP and both my Laptops sitting side by side my Vista pc can access my XP and the other XP pc. But my XP does not see any of the vista pc's unless I click on "View workgroup computers" and always gets the no access and I dont have permission etc etc, which is also the same for the other XP in another room. This is only a new problem as I have had this Vista pc and others for over 18 months without any problems. I have had this problem for a couple of months now so it makes it difficult to move and access files on my hard drives on vista. Also I do have "Windows live one care" running on both side by side laptops and I did have a problem with One Care accessing the hard drive on Vista but that is working fine now but still no network access from XP. I hope there is some sort of fix for this problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Blam
21-12-2009, 10:53 PM
What about changing the encryption type to 40/56 bit?

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/filesharing.jpg

It may be the same thing done in the article but via the GUI...try it anyways:)

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Umm I would say this is the patch you're talking about (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389) WT. Because its got that LmCompatibilityLevel key in it that you have to add to the registry. But you set the key to 3, not 1. This is also for Vista, but not Win7

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I seem to have the exact same problem only in reverse. I have a network called workgroup which has 4 computers using Vista and 2 computers using XP and both my Laptops sitting side by side my Vista pc can access my XP and the other XP pc. But my XP does not see any of the vista pc's unless I click on "View workgroup computers" and always gets the no access and I dont have permission etc etc, which is also the same for the other XP in another room. This is only a new problem as I have had this Vista pc and others for over 18 months without any problems. I have had this problem for a couple of months now so it makes it difficult to move and access files on my hard drives on vista. Also I do have "Windows live one care" running on both side by side laptops and I did have a problem with One Care accessing the hard drive on Vista but that is working fine now but still no network access from XP. I hope there is some sort of fix for this problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Is this on XP ? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en) You have to install it, if Vista is on the network

After you install this (if its not installed), make a shortcut to the shared folder. Go to start/run in Vista, type shell:sendto / right mouse / new. Create shortcut, go to the shared folder on the XP PC, then add it. Do the same with XP except just type sendto. Then you can send files (select whatever file), by right mouse / send to (the shared folder)

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 10:43 AM
WT, have you tried secpol.msc from start/run. If Win7 has it?? I would say its a security / authentication prob. From here (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/6910664b-90b1-4e28-b0ba-0b7ea57b4d9d)

Right Click on cmd and select Run as Administrator. Type "secpol.msc". Click on "Local Policies" > "Security Options". Scroll down to "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it. By default Windows Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Change this to "LM and NTLM use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

wainuitech
22-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Sorry for the late reply speedy - my whole interent was down, it seemed some how that damn NAS device took over :mad:, after having to wait for 1 hour to talk to telstra, while doing some tests, the IP address of the NAS appeared to be blocking the internet - or so it seemed, disconnecting it got the internet working, BUT the Guy at telstra did say thats the 4th one this morning after typing in some nslookup commands the internet came back - so he doubts it is the NAS. It is only got a static IP address, no dns setups at all.

ANYWAY - tried all suggestions, including the links provided, still no go.:crying XP computers are opening the files Via network perfectly.

Taking it back soon so will have to use the work around method.

Gordon_P
22-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Is this on XP ? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en) You have to install it, if Vista is on the network

After you install this (if its not installed), make a shortcut to the shared folder. Go to start/run in Vista, type shell:sendto / right mouse / new. Create shortcut, go to the shared folder on the XP PC, then add it. Do the same with XP except just type sendto. Then you can send files (select whatever file), by right mouse / send to (the shared folder)

Thanks speedy, I downloaded that file but I got the message I already had a later version installed.

But I am not sure what you mean about start/run in Vista, type" shell:sendto / right mouse / new. " is that all on one line? as windows cant find it or if I just typed "shell" I got the same message, should I just try and get a shortcut to my Shared Docs Folder? Thanks Gordon

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 12:57 PM
No you go to start/run then type shell:sendto to get into the sendto folder. (In vista).

Then you right mouse / select new then create shortcut. Then select the network folder to add it

SolMiester
22-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Umm I would say this is the patch you're talking about (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389) WT. Because its got that LmCompatibilityLevel key in it that you have to add to the registry. But you set the key to 3, not 1. This is also for Vista, but not Win7

Yes, good call, we have to set ours to 1, otherwise they wont authenticate to our proxy!

wainuitech
22-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Yes, good call, we have to set ours to 1, otherwise they wont authenticate to our proxy! This damn thing simply doesn't want to play by the rules :p Doesn't matter what settings are changed it simply wont allow access from W7 or Vista. XP is fine.

wainuitech
22-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Okay - I give up :badpc: Took the drive back, changed the work group back from mine to theirs, changed the reg setting LmCompatibilityLevel to 1 and bugger me it worked perfectly in Vista,:lol: ( I got a :eek: they were :banana) I know it should have been 3, but 3 didn't work. Then mapped the network drive so they can access that quicker.

Silly thing wouldn't work on my Vista - oh well.

Happy customer:)

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Sweet !

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Looks like 1 negotiates, 3 doesnt. It expects to see Send NTLM 2 response only. Which the NAS probably doesnt have or support. If it doesnt have / or support NTLM 2 it wont connect

SolMiester
22-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes, setting is 1, didnt I put that?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Umm yup I was just saying WHY 3 didnt work. And why 1 did. Since it negotiates to see what whatever is using

wainuitech
22-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes, setting is 1, didnt I put that? Yep,whats not to clear is the same settings here, didn't work on My vista or W7, yet when the NAS went back it did work. When putting in 3 nothing worked, but putting in 1 did. All OS's in both locations were fully upto date with MS's updates.

Never mind all working now-- Thanks guys.:thumbs:

Gordon_P
22-12-2009, 06:00 PM
WT, have you tried secpol.msc from start/run. If Win7 has it?? I would say its a security / authentication prob. From here (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/6910664b-90b1-4e28-b0ba-0b7ea57b4d9d)

Right Click on cmd and select Run as Administrator. Type "secpol.msc". Click on "Local Policies" > "Security Options". Scroll down to "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it. By default Windows Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Change this to "LM and NTLM use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

Got it this time Thanks a lot so I can send to my Shared folder on XP but was not able to send folders to Vista. So I will work around it now. Thanks for your help. Gordon

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2009, 07:48 PM
No probs Gordon. Umm, Did you create, then share a folder in vista? Dont forget to turn discovery and file sharing on