PDA

View Full Version : Boot speed just slowed down heaps...?

forrest44
20-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi people

Here in front of me I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 running Win XP SP2.
It has a 1.3 GHz Celeron M cpu and 256 MB of ram.

due to the low hardware I've been careful to only install what I need.
The only (major) software running in the background is Avast Antivirus and Commodo Internet Firewall.

So far (last 4 years or so) it's been going really well, however recently there has been an abrupt change. Startup is taking a lot longer - after the desktop appears, the hard drive won't stop churning for aound 3 - 5 min or so. During this time the computer is generally on the unresponsive side. Running task manager shows CPU usage on average around 5 - 15%, mainly due to avast antivirus processes.

What gives - have other users noticed their avast installations running slower? The only major software I have installed recently is Frostwire (and Sun JRE).

Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Put more ram in it, Get rid of frostwire. Update windows

Chris09
20-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Have a look at what's starting up, as you said it's about the boot speed.

Use Autoruns (Download here) (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) and view what's currently starting up on boot up. Also you may be able to tweak and get rid of some services, and scheduled updates if you are confident you know what you want, and what you need. This may aid in the solution to your problem. :badpc:

zqwerty
20-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Have a look in Avast Program settings, right click on task bar icon, untick Test Memory during application start up, look for other start up test like this and untick.

pctek
21-12-2009, 07:54 AM
4 years? I would do all of the below:

1) Not enough RAM, Win XP needs 512mb to run properly, Vista should have at least 1GB.

2) Spyware.

3) Windows Bloat

The longer you use Windows, the more disordered your registry can become, especially if you regularly install and uninstall software. Many applications, on being uninstalled, leave behind “orphan” registry entries. They don’t remove all traces of themselves; causing problems such as sluggish performance, system lockups, or a bloated registry that takes longer to load on startup.

Also the NTFS file system contains a file called the master file table (MFT). There is at least one entry in the MFT for every file on an NTFS volume, including the MFT itself.

All information about a file, including its size, time and date stamps, permissions, and data content is either stored in MFT entries or in space external to the MFT but described by the MFT entries.

As files are added to an NTFS volume, more entries are added to the MFT and so the MFT increases in size. When files are deleted from an NTFS volume, their MFT entries are marked as free and may be reused, but the MFT does not shrink. Thus, space used by these entries is not reclaimed from the disk.

Utilities that defragment NTFS volumes cannot move MFT entries, and excessive fragmentation of the MFT can impact performance.

Therefore the only cure for bloat is to wipe the PC and do a fresh install of Windows from scratch.

forrest44
21-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Mmm fresh reinstall sounds good, didn't know that MFT ntfs thing...

Where can I get a 512mb DDR sodimm? Would trademe be cheapest?

Cheers

Blam
21-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Yep.

DDR RAM is expensive though(more expensive than most DDR2 RAM!)

forrest44
21-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Did a spybot s&d scan which only found a few cookies...