PDA

View Full Version : Restoring outlook 2003 calendar from a non-back

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Had a mate who upgraded his PC from WinXP to Win7 in order to get around some virus issues.

Once Win7 was installed, scanned the windows.old folder, removed all the virus / spyware / trojan traces and all is good.

However now he's needing to re-import his stuff from Outlook, such as his PST file, address book and Calendar.

I'm presuming the Calendar is part of the PST file, except I couldn't find where the blasted thing was stored.

I had a quick poke around via TeamViewer (But was in a rush at the time and couldn't spend more than a minute) in Documents & Settings\Username\Application Data\Local Settings\
Then went into Microsoft\Outlook
and also Office\Outlook

There was a couple of PST files, but they appeared to be quite old, some going all the way back to 2004 when they were last modified.

Does Outlook store its calendar by default in a .pst file, and if-so am I looking in the right place, or have I missed something?

I'm presuming the settings aren't easily restored, so he may have to manually re-enter those.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Cheers

Chill.

Sweep
20-12-2009, 12:30 PM
The calendar is part of the PST file.

gary67
20-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Yes when I imported my .pst into win 7 it picked up everything calender, address book and emails and you were looking in the right directory so it should be there unless it has been modified to store the .pst somewhere else. Can you run a search for .pst?

SolMiester
20-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Chilli..its in the other local setting pathway...

Documents & Settings\Username\Local Settings\....do a search for outlook.pst assuming he didnt create a mailbox profile....you should also fing the .NK2 file which has the cache of all the e-mail 'to'addresse!

Chilling_Silence
21-12-2009, 11:53 AM
.nk2, nice! I didn't know that!! Thanks :D

Couldn't find it, but he did have a backup of one from a week ago. I seem to vaguely remember the previous IT guy had put it in some stupid location on another drive, and I'd found it one day while setting up backups.. so he's got 1-week old emails now instead, but better that than nothing.

SolMiester
21-12-2009, 11:59 AM
.nk2, nice! I didn't know that!! Thanks :D

Couldn't find it, but he did have a backup of one from a week ago. I seem to vaguely remember the previous IT guy had put it in some stupid location on another drive, and I'd found it one day while setting up backups.. so he's got 1-week old emails now instead, but better that than nothing.

Hi, do a search for .ost file!

wratterus
21-12-2009, 12:16 PM
...you should also fing the .NK2 file which has the cache of all the e-mail 'to'addresse!

Bloody champion Sol! I didn't know that. :thumbs:

SolMiester
21-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Bloody champion Sol! I didn't know that. :thumbs:

Haha...nice one to remember that!

nmercer
21-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi, do a search for .ost file!

as far as I know, the OST is only good to you if you still have the logon/username/MAPI profile for the user that it was created for in the first place

Cheers
Nathan

FAB
21-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I found a free app recently that lets you export the email addresses and names etc from the NK2 file to csv which you can then of course import into Outlook....very handy.
I'll the name of it here if anyone's interested. Can't think of it off the top of my head.

SolMiester
21-12-2009, 02:00 PM
as far as I know, the OST is only good to you if you still have the logon/username/MAPI profile for the user that it was created for in the first place

Cheers
Nathan

Ah, ...that makes sense