PDA

View Full Version : Teamviewer

minster
20-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi,
I have been talking online with a bloke in the UK that has been having trouble with his pc getting slower (Athlon 3500 2 gb ram)
I asked him what antivirus he uses and how often he cleans out/defrags his machine?
He said McAffe to the first question and didn't know you had to! to the 2nd.
I am thinking of trying to help him using Teamviewer but as I have never tried it before, would like to know just how much will TViewer allow the remote helper to do?
I see Teamviewer is suggested by some members here so thought you may be able to give me a clearer picture on the capabilities of this software please?
Your help is appreciated thank you.

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Everything. What a person can do sitting in front of a PC, you can do remotely. Its similar to remote desktop, but the person at the other end will see everything youre doing. It depends what the settings are (and what you change them to in teamviewer)

But it helps if the other person is on broadband, dialup can take ages to do anything. If he's got malware, tell him to boot into safe mode / networking then install teamviewer. Then tell him to send you the ID and password. I use it often. To remove malware from people's computers. I've even used it to log into my sister's PC over in Oz

Sweep
20-12-2009, 07:06 AM
You can use Teamviewer to do anything on the PC as if you were sitting at it.

This does, of course, exclude fitting new parts.

nedkelly
20-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Team viewer is like Remote desktop control except it is able to work over the internet with out changing any settings in your router or pc to connect.
It also allows the user sitting at the other end to also see what you are doing unlike Remote Desktop control.
When he installs teamviewer on his computer he will get an option shown to him to set the settings for what you can do. Make sure he does full control.
If you have any problems post here and there are heaps of people here who use it and can help you.

wainuitech
20-12-2009, 08:42 AM
When you download team viewer there are two downloads.

The person being helped only needs the Quick Support version, where it says (For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport") under downloads- it doesn't actually install, once downloaded,you simply double click the exe, select run - then give the person helping the name and password it pops up with.

The person doing the helping has to have the full version installed, and enters in the details provided by the other person.

minster
20-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all your help:)
Will contact him and go from there?

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, yeah. Hopefully you know what to do / what youre looking for

linw
20-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Anyone used both TV and Logmein? I am using Logmein free but wondered whether I should switch to TV. Pros and cons??

I guess it is easier to get the remote helpee to DL TV and run it than to get Logmein installed (usually I install Logmein when I have the machine).

linw
20-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Just tried it on another machine here. Very impressed. Much easier to get a helpee to run the client prog. Might even be able to get my sister in Pukekohe to get it running!!

Standalone progs both ends as well. File tfr, too. Not aval for Logmein free.

OK, I'm convinced (so far).

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Never used Logmein, but yup TV lets you do anything, inc chat, and file xfer

Blam
20-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Newest version does Voip too:D

wainuitech
20-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Only one downside I have found - if you have more than 6 or PC's on your LAN it comes up asking to be fair and pay for it.

Blam
20-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Only one downside I have found - if you have more than 6 or PC's on your LAN it comes up asking to be fair and pay for it.

If you have more than 6 PCs in your LAN then just use VNC:D

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2009, 05:08 PM
If you have more than 6 PC's then you can afford to buy it :p

wainuitech
20-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Narrrrrrrrrrr
Mine
SWMBO
Sons
Servers x 3
Workshop PC's
Media Center in lounge

Never use TViewer in house ( simply walk to the PC) , only connecting to other people - BUT most of the time its physical visit as the Internets not working - NOT trying to do a clean out remotely either.

Edited: I may use it 3 or 4 times a year to do remote updates or look at something people are trying to explain-- You know-- "Its the thingy / funny looking icon that on the right of the screen that's glowing / not working" Huh ?????

apsattv
20-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Teamviewer works very well I often use it to fix spyware/virus issues. On pc's based in ASIA.

Sam I Am
20-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I use cross loop. Seems painless and works well. Any comparison to TV or logmein?

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Never used logmein. But TV supports chat, VOIP, and file transfer

Blam
20-12-2009, 07:55 PM
I use cross loop. Seems painless and works well. Any comparison to TV or logmein?

Useful once again for remotely fixing PCs, but from my experience crossloop has much less features.

WarNox
20-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Log Me In > Teamviewer

Teamviewer must have their server in the states so the connection is much slower than LogMeIn which have one in Australia. Never tried the free version of LogMeIn though, only the trial one.

It can do everything Teamviewer can and its my favorite of the ones I've tried.

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2009, 10:24 PM
It'll / may depend on whether the other end is on dialup or BB. I've just been in teamviewer with Mister, it was fast as. Probably because both of us are on BB

12steps
21-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Is it just me or does TV kick you out of the session every two minutes or so? Maybe just with the unpaid version?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Umm nope it doesnt. Well it didnt last night. So, its just you

Sweep
21-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Team viewer hasn't kicked me out yet during several sessions. Using free version.

linw
21-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Did a long session last night on TV and it worked great. Another one scheduled for tonight (you know the one, "Picasa lost my photos"!! Talk about images all over the show, nested three deep etc. No bloody wonder they "lost" their photos!!).

I thought performance was fine. Certainly not noticeably slower than Logmein free. May be imagination, but it may even have been faster.

12steps
21-12-2009, 02:47 PM
frequent disconnects due to being in a corp network maybe? Has no one else experienced this?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Nope, I can spend all day using it, (without disconnecting), helping someone out. It could be a firewall or something, if you're using it at work

Blam
21-12-2009, 03:02 PM
frequent disconnects due to being in a corp network maybe? Has no one else experienced this?

I experienced it once when person on the other side had a crap internet connection.

Renmoo
28-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I do experience that from time to time, mainly because I use TV on Auckland Uni computer to access my computer from home (which is connected to Auckland Uni network). In that case, TV would disconnect my session from time to time.

Cheers :)