PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Computer !

JJJJJ
19-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Can anyone offer an explanation for a problem that is now repaired. Just for my peace of mind I would like to know what caused it, AND WILL IT HAPPEN AGAIN.:illogical

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, OEM on an i7 975 machine. I have two hard disks. The primary one is a 300 gig SSD, partitioned into C: and D:. The other disk is a Velociraptor 300 gig, Drive E:

Last week I shut down my machine at 8am. It was running well and everything was as normal.
I returned in the late afternoon and switched it on. It started OK and went through the POST. I was idley watching and no messages or warnings. It got to "starting windows" and then, a black screen with a message accross the top.
Can't remember the exact words, but it said more or less. "No drivers found. Install the necessary drivers. Insert the disk that contains drivers and press OK"
After a couple of attempts with same result and same message I inserted the Windows disk and tried to do a repair boot. Nothing would work so I managed to get a look at "disk manager".
First thing I noticed was D: was missing. C: was showing at it's formatted size,but only contained about four files.
My first thought was that my SSD was stuffed.
Anyway I tried a re-install of Windows. Strangely it re-installed without a problem. I rebuilt my D: which went without a hitch. Then I had a look at E:.
Here I found most of the programs that had been on D: and a few windows files that of course had been on C: The files that had been on E: had completely disappeared.
Can anyone offer an explation?
The obvious answer is VIRUS, but I don't realy think so.
The day before all this happened I had done a disk cleanup with CCcleaner and a full virus scan with Nod 32 64 bit. All the Windows safety programs were running.
I would appreciate any helpful comments.
Jack

pctek
19-12-2009, 01:51 PM
"No drivers found. Install the necessary drivers. Insert the disk that contains drivers and press OK"

Nothing would work so I managed to get a look at "disk manager".
First thing I noticed was D: was missing. C: was showing at it's formatted size,but only contained about four files.

Anyway I tried a re-install of Windows. Strangely it re-installed without a problem. I rebuilt my D: which went without a hitch. Then I had a look at E:.
Here I found most of the programs that had been on D: and a few windows files that of course had been on C: The files that had been on E: had completely disappeared.

So what drivers did it want? HDDs don't have drivers.
Well, that you install anyway.....

And how did you get to Disk Manager then? It must have booted into Windows.

As for the drive screwups, it won't necessarily happen again. Had a friend with a permanently connected external drive that when she started up, Windows decided it needed to "fix" the external and it trashed all her stuff and made everything into folders with weird names.

So Windows had a spaz, you could, for peace of mind, run manufacturers diagnostics on the drives just in case.

And do a chkdsk /p/r on them too.

But **** happens, sometimes we don't find out why.
As for Windows "safety" there's no such thing. In fact WIndows often screws things up.

Are these all separate drives or partitions?

PCT Joe
19-12-2009, 02:06 PM
And how did you get to Disk Manager then? It must have booted into Windows.

I live CD perhaps?

As for this problem I get a feeling of deja vu like I've heard it somewere, If i find out anything I will let you know :)